Winter Driving

All Ford Puma related discussions
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Sparks wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:53 am I don't think Slippery mode would be useful for full time use.
I had the drive modes for two winters on my Fiesta Active and never used anything but normal and eco.
Also didn't change the tyres.
I hear you, just depends where you live. I'm semi rural and have a 7 mile run on a filthy b road that's covered in mud, is generally untreated and covered in wash off the farmers fields in winter, to get me to the motorway. Generally between midnight and 3am. I'll take all the help I can get.
Last edited by Wdf76 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chocky

Post by Chocky »

I'm not a fan of all season tyres. They're not as good as summer tyres in the summer, or winter tyres in the winter! Once the temps get below 7 you want full winter tyres imho. I use a local fitter who charges £10/corner for tyre swaps. So £80/year and I'm on the right rubber. Oh, and any front wheel drive car, on winter tyres, in deep snow, is an absolute scream :) Leave traction control on and let the computer control the wheel slips and keep you pointing in the right direction.
Bigal

Post by Bigal »

Wdf76 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:21 pm
Bigal wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:37 pm
Wdf76 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:13 am

May be pal, but when you start using drive modes you don't learn how the car feels when it's losing grip. I like to see how things are when I throw it into the first bend on a frosty morning 😄
It'll be up to the wife to see how it drives.. I'll be in my Xdrive with all winter tyres on 😁
Haa yeah..... 'Follow me love, you'll be reet......'
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Chocky wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:27 pm I'm not a fan of all season tyres. They're not as good as summer tyres in the summer, or winter tyres in the winter! Once the temps get below 7 you want full winter tyres imho. I use a local fitter who charges £10/corner for tyre swaps. So £80/year and I'm on the right rubber. Oh, and any front wheel drive car, on winter tyres, in deep snow, is an absolute scream :) Leave traction control on and let the computer control the wheel slips and keep you pointing in the right direction.
:lol: :lol: Deep snow....Haven't seen that in a few years, If, by some freak of nature we get two or three days of it, the Puma will stay on the drive and I'll stay in the house :D
Seriously though, it depends where you live, us city slickers have little to worry about.... ;)
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
LeMans

Post by LeMans »

Update... If you plan in having a complete set of winter wheels and tyres as I understand you will require a sensor and valve which comes in at just under £22 a corner if sourced from Ford.
Also, ContiWinterContact TS 850 (my preference) tyres are still on back order and I can only find one tyre centre which has them available/can get them in 3 days. Which makes me wonder if these are old stock that has been sitting about...
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Do you need to fit tyre pressure sensors? You could.monitor your own tyre pressures. Have you looked at purchasing the tyres you want from a wholesaler? Camskill for example and use the fitter of your choice.
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is now an automatic MOT fail on cars registered after 1 January 2012. So if your car came with them, they must be fully working.
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

sinlessUK wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:13 am Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is now an automatic MOT fail on cars registered after 1 January 2012. So if your car came with them, they must be fully working.
Good to know. Thanks. Shows how long since I've had an old motor. So you've got 3yrs grace before first m.o.t
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Pawprint66

Post by Pawprint66 »

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

Fitted winters to the Puma about three weeks ago. Nokian WR A4's. Had Nokian WR D4's on the Fiesta previously and they were excellent. I just swap over onto the same rims each time. The factory Conti's have just done under 7000 mile and are wearing just fine. It'll be interesting to see how the Nokian's stack up. With the winters on the Fiesta, we never ever got stuck, so I'm hoping for more of the same. Just checked the prices of the A4's and they've shot up from £82.00 each to £129.00. So i bought them just at the right time.
By the way, I bought them from Camskill.
2020 Puma ST - Line X First Edition - 125 mHEV - Race Red - (Released back into the wild)
2023 Puma ST - Frozen White - Driver Assistance Pack & Powered Tailgate - Machined Magnetite Wheels