Ford Puma 7 DCT

All Ford Puma related discussions
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

😁 because you're worth it....

Jiipee

Post by Jiipee »

FirstFord1972 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:07 pm
Jiipee wrote: ↑Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:38 pm So how's the dct to drive ? Is it keeping the revs in suitable range ? What I mean is that is it keeping the revs high enough when cruising uphill for example ? Since some automatic gearboxes keep so low revs that the engine will rumble and shake.
Yes, probably last century. :D This is my fifth Ford powershift. I have never experienced any rumble and shake. The revs and gear setting are always appropriate to the load and speed in every situation. You just leave it to the electronics. It just gets better as the technology improves.
Well I'm glad to hear it works, since in the newest Ford focus (which has a torque converter automatic) the car keeps sometimes too big gear and it causes some engine rumble etc. That's why I was a bit skeptical about the new dct in Puma. Maybe I'll go for a test drive someday :)
Stan20

Post by Stan20 »

I have done 900 miles now with the automatic vignale its brilliant, don't even notice the gear changes
paulv

Post by paulv »

Stan20 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:35 am I have done 900 miles now with the automatic vignale its brilliant, don't even notice the gear changes
thats great to hear - mine is on order, can't wait :)
FORD PUMA ST-LINE X VIGNALE 1.0L ECOBOOST 125PS 7 SPEED AUTOMATIC - LUCID RED
long name... nice car :D
wgtwiddle

Post by wgtwiddle »

More thread resurrection...

Having the dct, I now find it's not quite like normal auto transmission. So, some questions...

What's the point of/when to use neutral? I understand that when coming to a stop it's sufficient to simply use the brake (when transmission in D).

How best to drive when in stop start traffic? Will adaptive cruise control cover this?

Thanks.
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

wgtwiddle wrote: ↑Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:33 am Having the dct, I now find it's not quite like normal auto transmission. So, some questions...

> What's the point of/when to use neutral? I understand that when coming to a stop it's sufficient to simply use the brake (when transmission in D).

Purely for safety. I always put the car into neutral and place the handbrake on if the traffic is not moving for a while. I've been driving automatics for several decades, so to me I find the Puma no different to my other automatics, just smoother with the 7 speed box. Also I'm in my 70s, old habits die hard and I like to preserve the components (even if it is not necessary) :D

> How best to drive when in stop start traffic? Will adaptive cruise control cover this?

I leave it completely in the hands of adaptive cruise control with start stop. Have you got adaptive cruise control with start stop? However I do find it annoying that when engine start/stop kicks in and there is a momentary delay when traffic starts moving again. I feel as though I am being judged for my slow reaction :oops: . If the stop is to long, then see my answer to the first question.
wgtwiddle

Post by wgtwiddle »

:) Thanks Lightfoot.

Yes, start stop available and yes, the uptake leaves me wondering if I'll ever move forward again.
wgtwiddle

Post by wgtwiddle »

As an addendum I'd recommend the DAP if getting an auto. The DCT (7DCT300) gearbox has some foibles (akin to most DCT gearboxes).

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/d ... ssions#how
wgtwiddle

Post by wgtwiddle »

Any thoughts on this fellow auto drivers...

Screenshot_20220719-120027.png

Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

wgtwiddle wrote: ↑Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:04 am Any thoughts on this fellow auto drivers...

Common sense :)