Fuel Efficiency

All Ford Puma related discussions
Stlinexstu

Post by Stlinexstu »

Who cares enjoy the car and drive how you like

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Stlinexstu wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:33 pm Who cares enjoy the car and drive how you like
What's the point of that post.....?
veng92

Post by veng92 »

Getting about 43mpg at the moment, less than 1000 miles in. Keep getting tempted to put my foot down in sport every now and then :D
Ford Puma ST-Line X 1st Ed
Desert Blue
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

After driving with the right foot of a ballet dancer for some time Iโ€™ve been stuck on 49.9 average for the last week now.
The damn thing is teasing me :D
alanp

Post by alanp »

Does it make any difference in eco mode..?
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

alanp wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:02 am Does it make any difference in eco mode..?
Sure , it reacts differend on the trottel
Ford Puma St-Line X first edition full options
..... Desert Island Blue.....
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

alanp wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:02 am Does it make any difference in eco mode..?
I've run a few tanks in 3 modes now. Do you know what......? There's only +/- 2 or 3 mpg difference between the lot of them. Eco mode made the car feel limp and I actually worked it harder than all the other engine modes. My default is sport. Makes the car responsive, lively and makes the best use of hybrid I think. Just wish I didn't have to hit the button 3 times before every journey and you could keep the car in your chosen engine mode.

Haven't used trail or slippery at all.
Iain C

Post by Iain C »

A first trip of around 230 miles to North Wales and back using eco mode and active cruise control on motorways / dual carriageways, normal or sport mode on other roads and the trip computer is showing 50.4 mpg so well happy with that. Going up to Scotland at the weekend so will see how that goes.
Ford Puma Titanium First Edition mhev 125 - Grey Matter
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

700 miles on the clock now. The lifetime av is 44.5mpg. My run to the office yesterday was stuck on cruise at 60mph for 90% of the journey and it returned 49.5mpg.

I have sadly kept a record of all my cars and have found the first 500-1000 miles a good indicator +/- 2mpg of what the av fuel consumption to be.

Previous recent cars, non-diesel cars at around 700miles figure: (which stayed within 1-2mpg over their life)
Citroen C4 Cactus (3 cyl, 1.2 turbo petrol): 58mpg
Citroen C1 (3cyl 1.2 petrol (same as above but no turbo) We still have this car: 57mpg
Citroen C3 (3cyl 1.2 petrol) 52mpg

As a comparison - my Sunday car, 18yrs old:
MG-TF 1.8 Chipped 180hp: 42mpg

Now I am an average driver - that is to say, I drive sensibly, don't slouch, but also don't rev highly. I have fun from time to time. To be honest, I expected better from the Puma in terms of MPG with it being hybrid. If I compare it to my Cactus that was a Turbo 3pot 1.2 it's pretty poor in comparison. The Puma is even more woeful when I compare it to my MG - that is shipped, it gets hooned quite often, it's been tracked and it's av is 42mpg over it's life that I have had it (6yrs).

To get the 49 I did yesterday I was conscious and set cruise at 60 mph. The A1 part of the journey is 50 odd miles each way straight road. If I were to drive this journey normally I would expect it to return about 46.

Overall, I expected a lot better than this - I don't feel that the hybrid adds any saving to MPG. That said, I love the car...
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

@hammy

Great post. The puretech Citroen's have always been good on fuel. We had a little c1 as a rounaround just the 1.0 version. It was very good.

I would only question how figures are calculated now. We've moved from nedc to wltp. I suspect that computer figures are more accurate now.

Did you ever calculate actual fuel use or just use the indicated figure?

I read about the 1.0 ecoboost returning high 30's - low 40's , particularly thirsty in the focus.

The lad in my local petrol station has commented on not seeing me as much as when I had my ST's....... ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚