Wireless charging

All Ford Puma related discussions
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

I've got an iPhone XR. Used to happen with a leather flip/wallet case. Changed it to a rubber one and everything's OK now.

Was probably the magnet in the leather flip/wallet case causing my issues.
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6

robgee

Post by robgee »

Have an IPhone 11 and it works fine though does get a little warm
Ford Puma 125 ST-Line X FIRST EDITION Desert Island Blue (previous)
Ford Puma 155 ST-Line X Blazer Blue (current)
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

PumaSTVignale wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:28 pm Im getting an error message charge terminated please check that your phone is aligned correctly and that no objects are obstruction it.

My iPhone is a 12 Pro and car a Ford Puma ST Vignale.

It would seem that many Ford users of various models are experiencing the same the problem.

I have tried the phone in all different positions and without a case but I still get the same message.

All new Apple iPhones have MagSafe and it would seem that Ford had made bad assumptions to where the QI coil would be on future iPhones hence why the charge terminating message.

Is there anyone else who is experiencing the same problem with the iPhone 12 models and wireless charging?
I’m getting exactly the same symptoms with my iPhone 12. Annoying as it does it quite often. Did you sort it?
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Just been on the Apple forum and this seems definitely an issue with the charging coil on the iphone12 being in a different position.

We can blame Ford but then not everyone has a new Apple phone so moving it for the 12 could have made all other phones incompatible.

On the US Apple forum I found this. I’ll try it later to see if it works:

“We have had this issue too and we just fixed it!!!!
Go out to your car we have a 2019 expedition, take off all the phones that are currently connected to the car. Then clear out all the blue tooth and connections on the 12.
Then re hook up your phone to the car with bluetooth and carplay.
Now it will charge on the charger.”

I assume you can then add the other Bluetooth devices and it will still work. We shall see.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Works ok on wife’s I phone 11, my sony doesn’t charge
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Well I cleared all the Bluetooth devices linked to my phone, including Sync. Then I re-connected Sync. I’ve just been out for a 5 mile run and it didn’t have any issues.

Early days so I’ll see how it goes.

The only thing I noticed when I got home was that I hadn’t reconnected the My Journey option. I have now connected it - so if I have an issue I’ll try disconnecting that again.

Obviously I’m hoping it’s a software problem as that would be fixable.

Fingers crossed.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Ok. That’s four trips now since I cleared the Bluetooth and reconnected my phone. Today my iphone 12 charged without any issues.

I’m on a longer run on Tuesday as I’m going fishing. I’ll report after that but if there are no further issues I guess the fix has worked. That suggests it’s software not hardware.

Now to sort out my Norman Collier Sat nav voice.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Ok - today I did a 30 mile trip from York to West Tanfield. My phone didn’t disconnect once.

However, coming home it disconnected three times. The only thing I did differently was to scroll through the drive options a few times. Doubt that would affect the charging though.

Back to the drawing board. I’ve disconnected and reconnected again and removed the other bluetooths from my iPhone.

Grrrr

Love the car though and after a week of varied trips I’m averaging 51mpg. I’m sure it will get better once I stop messing about with drive modes and settle down from my new car excitement:)
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Bought myself a Magssafe cover for my iPhone. So far so good. Not sure if it will sort the problem 100% but it does appear to at least charge the phone without the annoying disconnecting.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Well it seems to be playing up again ... but it seems only when I mess about with the drive modes. If I stay in normal it seems fine but I’ve noticed when I change modes the message appears that the phone is charging (I already know that so why should it tell me because I’ve changed drive modes?)

Then I start getting the disconnect message no matter what drive mode I put it in after the first change.

It must be a software issue surely?

I’m going to contact support next week and see what they say.