Clay bar lube

All Ford Puma related discussions
alanp

Post by alanp »

I’m going to give the Puma a clay bar and wax tomorrow, but I haven’t any lubricant, any ideas as to what I can use?, is using just water in a spray bottle ok?
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything

Layters

Post by Layters »

Hi Alanp I would always use a detailing lubricant, but if needs must good old soapy water
( not dish washing soap) car wash is better than just water,
When using the clay bar use # motion not circular, and only use light pressure.
Not telling how to suck eggs here, just from my experience.

Cheers Layters
alanp

Post by alanp »

Cheers bud, if I use auto glam car shampoo diluted with water in a spray bottle, will that work, I’ve read you’re not supposed to use wash wax as it destroys the clay bar...
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

As layters says, any quick detailer will do fine. Some clay bars, bilt hambler for example will work with water alone. Do one panel, wash and dry it and inspect for any marring marks. You might need a quick polish to remove these. Fold your clay regularly and if it hits the floor, bin it (I speak from experience).😃
Layters

Post by Layters »

Hi alanp re: autoglym car wash - as per other forums the court is still out some clays will breakdown with a car shampoo wax. As I only use clay lube can’t give a honest answer.
As per wdf76 try a panel at a time. Take your time be gentle not to much pressure.
Use a small piece of clay so if the worse happens you haven’t lost too much.
Monday is going to be sunny down here in the south, poss 25c be careful when you wash you
magnetic ( like this colour) Puma getting dried on water marks off is a s*d again speaking from my own bad experience 😖
Good luck post some pics when your finished 👍

Layters
alanp

Post by alanp »

Well it’s clean, after the initial power wash and snow foam clean, I set about with a clay bar, after washing, the paintwork wasn’t as bad as I first thought, but I still went over it , then a good waxing and it’s come up lovely, I found the alloys easy to clean as I can get my hand in between the spokes, finished off by cleaning the glass, must admit, I think it looks lovely in magnetic,
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Nice one Alan

Just need a pic now.

Proof of the pudding and all that....😉
alanp

Post by alanp »

Unfortunately you’re dealing with a Luddite who doesn’t know how to get pics from his iPhone to the forum
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

alanp wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:01 pm Unfortunately you’re dealing with a Luddite who doesn’t know how to get pics from his iPhone to the forum
That's classic Alan. 😁

I'm sure you could crack it.

During this lockdown period I've been teaching my old man how to do stuff online. He's been zooming and WhatsApp'ing (to read to his grand daughters) , banking and stuff. He taught me a lot when I was a lad, somehow it feels like we've gone full circle and I've paid him back.
alanp

Post by alanp »

I’ve only recently gone to online banking, but it’s all witchcraft to me