Charge pad.

All Ford Puma related discussions
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Maybe clutching at straws here but has anyone had issues with their iPhone after using the charging pad for a few months or longer?

My iPhone 12 died the other week at 16 months old. Out of warranty by four months. £750 it cost my son!

I’m currently trying to get Amazon to fix it or replace it under consumer protection but my wife mentioned how hot her phone got the last time she used the pad. She wondered if the long term effect could have killed the phone?

They do get really hot to be honest.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

We've discussed this elsewhere. Wireless charging does heat your phone up, no matter where you charge it. The one in the car is of little use as it's low power and takes ages to charge and doesn't keep up with the phones discharge if it's being used for anything. Best to use the USB or 12v to charge it if you really need to.
Of course the confines of the pocket where the charge pad is doesn't help, there's very little air getting to the phone. So, yes, it's entirely possible that it's killed your phone.
It may be a bit late for yours (hopefully not) but best to put the phone in face to the pad so it can't charge or keep it in your pocket.

Try taking it a an apple store, my sister took one that was 2 years old and had failed (not sure why) and they fixed whatever it was for her at no cost.
I believe their warranty is 2 years.....I don't use Apple products, but worth checking...
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Sparks wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:39 pm We've discussed this elsewhere. Wireless charging does heat your phone up, no matter where you charge it. The one in the car is of little use as it's low power and takes ages to charge and doesn't keep up with the phones discharge if it's being used for anything. Best to use the USB or 12v to charge it if you really need to.
Of course the confines of the pocket where the charge pad is doesn't help, there's very little air getting to the phone. So, yes, it's entirely possible that it's killed your phone.
It may be a bit late for yours (hopefully not) but best to put the phone in face to the pad so it can't charge or keep it in your pocket.

Try taking it a an apple store, my sister took one that was 2 years old and had failed (not sure why) and they fixed whatever it was for her at no cost.
I believe their warranty is 2 years.....I don't use Apple products, but worth checking...

Cheers. I’ve not given up with Apple yet and might take it to the local store. However iPhones only have 12 months warranty now. It used to be two years and still is on other items.

You never know though. They might just relent and fix it.
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

With hindsight, Applecare would have been a good idea. I automatically take it out for all my new Apple products.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

I've found the same problem with my Samsung s9.It gets very hot in the wireless charger and charges too slowly to be of any use. FYI, if you run android auto or apple car play, you need to use the USB or USBC socket but if you want to fast charge, I believe you can do it from the cigarette lighter socket with the necessary adaptor (which you can get very cheaply from B&M or Home Bargains).
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

lightfoot wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:11 am With hindsight, Applecare would have been a good idea. I automatically take it out for all my new Apple products.
Unfortunately it was a present but I think the cost was about £150 extra for one year more.

Apple used to give two years with iPhones. Now it’s only one. They still give two on watches and other items.

My final stance will be consumer protection laws as no way a product costing so much should pack in after 16 months of light use.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Some good news! I kept on and on at Amazon and they eventually refunded me. I’m now the proud owner of an iPhone 14 which gist me £10 and the 12 has been sent back to me too 🤣🤣
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I'm still trying to find a way to turn the charging pad off.....Any thoughts?
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

I turn my phone to face the front of use the space for other stuff.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Rizmo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:09 pm I turn my phone to face the front of use the space for other stuff.
Yes, done that (with a sponge insert to protect the phone), I would prefer to disconnect it via the fuse box but don't know if it has a unique fuse or shares it..
With Wireless Android Auto the phone stays in my pocket most of the time, so it's not a life and death situation, but I would like the choice... ;)