Who Uses 6th Gear ?

All Ford Puma related discussions
Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

First of all - a disclaimer. My comments refer to a bog standard 125. Car is 6 weeks old with 550 miles on the clock.
Nice sunny day, so decided to drive to the coast. All A roads, so max speed of 60 mph.
Not too much traffic, but got in a steady stream going at 50/55mph. Dashboard indicator keeps telling me to shift to 6th gear, which I do, but every time there is an incline, or the traffic speed drops slightly, the engine labours, and I have to change back down to 5th.
Consequently, I spent the entire journey shifting between 5th and 6th.
On the return, I just left the car in 5th for more or less the entire trip. Much easier, and no apparent difference in mpg.
So, my inclination is to ignore the onboard prompts, and just use 6th for motorway driving.
Obviously we all have our own driving techniques, but I just wondered if anyone else found 6th a waste of time?
Titanium 125, Solar Silver

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I usually manage 6th at 50 plus on a run of dual carriageway or motorway. That said, I ignore the dash prompts entirely, they are meant for maximum eco emission control, rather than smooth driving, so not much use in the real world.
I doubt anyone on here drives by the prompts.... ;)
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
alanp

Post by alanp »

I use sixth most of the time, where I can, if I have to change down one or two gears then so be it, it’s called driving🤭
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
chris47

Post by chris47 »

The real problem Im finding is that the cars shift indicator seems to hate 4th. It insists you stay in 3rd until 30 then wants you to change to 5th by 33, but if you drop even a tiny amount wants 3rd again. I realise modern car engine dont really 'labour' in a damaging way like older engines did, but the car sounds like its labouring if you follow what it wants, and its dog slow. Its not even best for economy in my experience.

6th is only really any use at speed when cruising. Its fine on motorways and open roads over 50, but it does bog the engine down if there is much of a gradient.

To my mind (and its not just a problem on the Puma), the mild hybrid system is too mild. Its not got enough torque to really help much. It could really use 50% more.
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

I only use 6th on dual carriageway and motorways with cruise control on it seems fine chugging along
ST Performance Grey Matter (Performance Pack / Drivers Assistance Pack / Dark Wheels & Power Tailgate)
alanp

Post by alanp »

I know what the op means though, I do try and use 6th over 50mph but doesn’t the hybrid boost come in to assist the engine with slight inclines? , I don’t rigidly stick to the gear shift indicator, I just change when the engine revs dictate but I tend to keep it in 3rd around town, I have, I must confess, driven along a motorway at 70, not realising I was in 5th🤨, and it wasn’t too different from 6th gear…I have my rev counter indicator set to eco and tend to try and keep to the green band….
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

alanp wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:37 am I know what the op means though, I do try and use 6th over 50mph but doesn’t the hybrid boost come in to assist the engine with slight inclines? , I don’t rigidly stick to the gear shift indicator, I just change when the engine revs dictate but I tend to keep it in 3rd around town, I have, I must confess, driven along a motorway at 70, not realising I was in 5th🤨, and it wasn’t too different from 6th gear…I have my rev counter indicator set to eco and tend to try and keep to the green band….
Remember a long time ago that 3rd gear is perfect for town driving and not exceeding 30 mph, don’t use the gear change indicator and looked on the menus to see if it could be turned off, so if anyone knows?

Have to say had a new numpty moment couldn’t work out why dash said temp was 21 earlier but sync screen said 19 till better half pointed out it was the climate control temp :roll:
ST Performance Grey Matter (Performance Pack / Drivers Assistance Pack / Dark Wheels & Power Tailgate)
alanp

Post by alanp »

Have to say had a new numpty moment couldn’t work out why dash said temp was 21 earlier but sync screen said 19 till better half pointed out it was the climate control temp :roll:

Been there, done that, tee shirt😀
Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

FP2022F1T wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:32 pm
alanp wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:37 am I know what the op means though, I do try and use 6th over 50mph but doesn’t the hybrid boost come in to assist the engine with slight inclines? , I don’t rigidly stick to the gear shift indicator, I just change when the engine revs dictate but I tend to keep it in 3rd around town, I have, I must confess, driven along a motorway at 70, not realising I was in 5th🤨, and it wasn’t too different from 6th gear…I have my rev counter indicator set to eco and tend to try and keep to the green band….
Remember a long time ago that 3rd gear is perfect for town driving and not exceeding 30 mph, don’t use the gear change indicator and looked on the menus to see if it could be turned off, so if anyone knows?

I went on a "speed awareness" course (whoops) and the moderator suggested that in a 30 mph area, third gear would keep you within the speed limit .
I didn't have the nerve to correct him (and I didn't want the points either !)
Titanium 125, Solar Silver
alanp

Post by alanp »

I tend to use the speed limiter all the time, it normally works ok around town , but I use it as a guide only…