Chipping the 125 ST Line X

All Ford Puma related discussions
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Ahh, I didn’t watch the entire video (got bored) but it sounds like “doubling the clutch” which I had to do in the 60s with my Mini with no synchro box. I honestly have never heard of heel & toe. Is that a northern thing :D

Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

lightfoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:51 am Ahh, I didn’t watch the entire video (got bored) but it sounds like “doubling the clutch” which I had to do in the 60s with my Mini with no synchro box. I honestly have never heard of heel & toe. Is that a northern thing :D
You are talking about double declutching which is totally different.
Heel and toeing is a workdwide advanced driving technique. it's, especially used in rallying, but also useful in day to day driving, that enables you to go through bends faster (no chip required !) Basically you brake and accelerate at the same time, so engine revs match the lower gear you have selected, so you can exit the bend faster.
Watch the last third of the video to see how it is done.
Titanium 125, Solar Silver
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Wowzz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:03 pm
lightfoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:51 am :D
Ahh, I didn’t watch the entire video (got bored) but it sounds like “doubling the clutch” which I had to do in the 60s with my Mini with no synchro box. I honestly have never heard of heel & toe. Is that a northern thing :D
Heel and toeing is a workdwide advanced driving technique. it's, especially used in rallying, but also useful in day to day driving, that enables you to go through bends faster (no chip required !) Basically you brake and accelerate at the same time, so engine revs match the lower gear you have selected, so you can exit the bend faster.

No point, I drive a road car and it is an automatic :D
Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

lightfoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:20 pm
Wowzz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:03 pm
lightfoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:51 am :D

No point, I drive a road car and it is an automatic :D
I still do it from time to time, just to keep in practice.
chris47

Post by chris47 »

Modern cars are just so fast that none of its even worth it now. Getting that last little bit of performance means going from very illegal to super illegal in terms of speed.
Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

chris47 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:08 pm Modern cars are just so fast that none of its even worth it now. Getting that last little bit of performance means going from very illegal to super illegal in terms of speed.
It's not the top speed that is relevant here, but how to drive through a corner with the minimum of retardation, compared to the boy racers with no skill, who arrive at a bend, slam on the brakes, and then find themselves in the wrong gear !
chris47

Post by chris47 »

I get that, but even then modern cars are so fast around the corners, even badly driven they will murder older ones, to expect a young person to handle cars faster than anything we had as teens, at any money level, is scary. I mentioned the F50 being slower than a Civic Type R, but its completely true to say nothing, absolutely nothing you could buy pre-1990 would be faster around the bends, not a Ferrari, not a Lambo, Porsche, nothing. In fact even pre-2000 there are few. These modern hatches can corner faster than the speed limit, never mind the straights, and they are fast on the straights. Flat out on the public highway really shouldn't be a thing in them, it would be insanely dangerous. I can understand a younger driver being extremely intimidated by such a car and getting it all wrong.

I only ever got my Leon to slide once, and that was on a frosty surface. Even then I could feel it trying to stop it. The grip was insane and even if you think you did over do it and were about to die horribly it would just pull itself round. Even after having it a year I still didn't think it would handle the corners as well as It could
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

H&t is used on track but if used with a good technique it is effective on road too.
Smooth driving and fun.
I learnt on my previous car. On the Puma you have to really use your heel instead of just move the side of your foot, which I'd prefer. It's subjective.
I find the pedals too distant from each other for that. I opened a post about this matter.
chris47

Post by chris47 »

Ive always found pedals too close for it, but I have giant feet.

I beleive autos and semi autos are now outselling manuals and many new drivers arent bothering to do a manual test. That makes sense given that all EVs are auto or gearless anyway and will be all you can buy soon.
Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

I remember from my early days of driving and the advice my dad gave me (advanced Police driver) 1. Always go into a corner expecting to meet someone coming in the other direction who might be cutting the corner. 2. Slow in, fast out. 3. Use the correct gear to pull the car around the bend at the right revs. Don't go into a bend at low revs as this decreases grip if you want to power out.