Chipping the 125 ST Line X

All Ford Puma related discussions
Tyler Durden

Post by Tyler Durden »

Has anyone put a chip on their Puma? I’ve got the 125 ST Line X and it’s just not fast enough. I ordered the 155 but they messed up the order and didn’t realise until the car was delivered to Dagenham. Couldn’t wait around again for them to build another car so had to accept it.

Had absolutely no experience with the engine chipping so just wondering if anyone else has had it done? What sort of performance increase we talking about? Is it worth it?
Cheers.

Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

Tyler Durden wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:55 pm Has anyone put a chip on their Puma? I’ve got the 125 ST Line X and it’s just not fast enough. I ordered the 155 but they messed up the order and didn’t realise until the car was delivered to Dagenham. Couldn’t wait around again for them to build another car so had to accept it.

Had absolutely no experience with the engine chipping so just wondering if anyone else has had it done? What sort of performance increase we talking about? Is it worth it?
Cheers.
Not fast enough? Once you get to 70, how much faster do you want to go (or with current traffic ) can you go ?
Titanium 125, Solar Silver
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

You will have to be more specific about what you want.....I'm going to suggest you bought the wrong car and even doubt the 155 would satisfy you as the difference isn't that big.
Either enjoy it or swap it....Simples.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Deleted User 1154

Post by Deleted User 1154 »

Right about the traffic etc,whats the point in going fast theses days with traffic,cameras and traffic calming everywhere ,im sure pumaspeed do a good remap,they have dealing with pumas for yearz with both the mk1 and the present one with great results
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

By fast I guess you mean acceleration and yes there is quite a difference in my opinion.

On paper it’s just 1.3 seconds to 60 but in the flesh you can feel the difference.

Plus of course the extra 20Nm of torque.

I’ve never chipped a car either but I’m sure someone on here will have experience of it.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

I’ve also been looking at this , remapping the engine will no doubt void the warranty so a tuning box from tdi-tuning looks pretty good. £295.
Will up the power to 155 and additional 48nm .
See what your insurance company say about the box , might only be a few ££ a month extra.
2022 St-Line X 125 desert island blue
chris47

Post by chris47 »

Wowzz wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:50 pm
Tyler Durden wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:55 pm Has anyone put a chip on their Puma? I’ve got the 125 ST Line X and it’s just not fast enough. I ordered the 155 but they messed up the order and didn’t realise until the car was delivered to Dagenham. Couldn’t wait around again for them to build another car so had to accept it.

Cheers.
Not fast enough? Once you get to 70, how much faster do you want to go (or with current traffic ) can you go ?
Its not about top end. As someone who has gone from a car that got to 70 in about 6 seconds to one that gets to 70 in about 11, it does make a huge difference to the driving experience.

Its about responsiveness if nothing else, the instant confidence the extra speed gives you is very nice, and actually relaxing. I got less frustrated by slow drivers in a faster car because I knew I could pass them.

The Puma is much better in sport mode. Its not faster, but the throttle is more alive and the car feels less docile. Changing to sport mode and turning stop/start back on is now my standard start up procedure.
Tyler Durden

Post by Tyler Durden »

Thanks for all the replies. As a few of you have said this is not about the top end speed but the acceleration. It’s takes around 10 seconds to go from 0 to 60 whereas my last car did it in 7 seconds so it’s quite a big difference. I did order the 155 version but some idiot at Ford messed the order up and the 125 was the one that got built.

From what I’m reading a chip on the engine would bring mine in line with the 155 so that’s something at least. Of course it’s never enough. Even in a Tesla you’d get used to it after a while and would seem slower than when you first drive it.

I’ll see about getting one fitted in a couple of weeks and let everyone know the results.

Thanks.
pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

I think there are a few iffy ones around Tyler , racechip I think our exaggerate with their figures . Guy on Seat website only got about 8-9 bhp from tuning box which said 35 bhp achievable . That was on a Ibiza new style.
If I had to go anywhere it would be tdi-tuning. I’ve only heard good things about them.
2022 St-Line X 125 desert island blue
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Hi, sad to hear that. At the moment a swap of the car is impossible, I guess.
Certainly the dealer could have done something more to solve the wreck he generated, though...what a d..k.

Any mods now, changing the air filter apart ( panel type, not a cone), would void the warranty.
For what I've seen there are various mods to apply onto the St version. Our 1.0 cc engine could be soft or heavily map pimped, but hardware wise mods to me are a waste, when available.
They may improve the performance a little here and there but also worsen it too. The engine is too small.
The most mechanic secure upgrade could be fitting the bigger turbo of the 155 CV and its corresponding map, quite impossible for the dealer to apply I suppose, and I think it's not legal as well.