Full Throttle

All Ford Puma related discussions
Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

I know that these days, "running in" is no longer required.
However, I've been poodling around in my, admittedly non sporty Titanium, for 300 miles, and I'd like to give it a bit of "welly".
Is it too soon ?
Titanium 125, Solar Silver

Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

As long as you have the car up to temp, it will be fine.
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

I waited until 1000 miles but that's just me and then pressed the Sports Button 🚗💨
Last edited by sinlessUK on Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Yeah....Running in has long gone....Get up to temp and enjoy the Sport mode....
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
AMS1969

Post by AMS1969 »

I’ve been careful in the first 1000 miles with my Titanium but I think it’s nicely “run” in now at 1000 miles and also after after that distance I feel I “know” the car now
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

I'm always gentle for the first 1k miles like those above say, but modern cars no longer need running in like they used to. It's up to you, but giving it some welly provided it has warmed up should be no problem at all. Just watch out for the speed limit signs unless you have the limiter in the car switched on. Let us know how fast you have dared to go in it and how it felt at very high speed.
Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

cianpars wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:41 pm I'm always gentle for the first 1k miles like those above say, but modern cars no longer need running in like they used to. It's up to you, but giving it some welly provided it has warmed up should be no problem at all. Just watch out for the speed limit signs unless you have the limiter in the car switched on. Let us know how fast you have dared to go in it and how it felt at very high speed.
I've done 50 or so miles of motorway driving, at 75 mph or so. Obviously the revs were pretty low at that speed in 6th gear.
What I'm trying not to do is hit the rev limiter in lower gears ( does the Puma actually have a limiter?)
Titanium 125, Solar Silver
DickDastardly

Post by DickDastardly »

Just a note about warming up - don't rely on the water coming up to temperature as an indication that the engine is fully warmed up.

Oil temperature is the critical measurement and having owned a car with an oil temperature gauge it is surprising the amount of time it takes between the water showing fully warm and the oil catching up.

Depends on the ambient temperature but from experience it was at least another 10 minutes, longer in winter.
ST Line X 155, Desert Island Blue. Ordered 31/12/21, delivered 23/05/22
matthen

Post by matthen »

Wowzz wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:31 pm
cianpars wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:41 pm I'm always gentle for the first 1k miles like those above say, but modern cars no longer need running in like they used to. It's up to you, but giving it some welly provided it has warmed up should be no problem at all. Just watch out for the speed limit signs unless you have the limiter in the car switched on. Let us know how fast you have dared to go in it and how it felt at very high speed.
I've done 50 or so miles of motorway driving, at 75 mph or so. Obviously the revs were pretty low at that speed in 6th gear.
What I'm trying not to do is hit the rev limiter in lower gears ( does the Puma actually have a limiter?)
Yes, at 6500 RPM. The ST will do 57 mph in second - not 100% sure how the ratios change with the other models, but you have to intentionally gun it for hitting it to be a real risk...

The real danger is giving it a squirt in 4th/5th, and ending up at over a ton.
Puma ST (Performance Pack) in Mean Green
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

DickDastardly wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:43 pm Just a note about warming up - don't rely on the water coming up to temperature as an indication that the engine is fully warmed up.

Oil temperature is the critical measurement and having owned a car with an oil temperature gauge it is surprising the amount of time it takes between the water showing fully warm and the oil catching up.

Depends on the ambient temperature but from experience it was at least another 10 minutes, longer in winter.
That's why I was interested in getting the Performance gauge menu ( available on the St model ) on the non St Puma. Apparently it is not possible to enable it via Forscan, due to a different module type from the Puma St.