July 6th (Intelligent Speed Assist) speed Limiter on new cars

All Ford Puma related discussions
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

So new laws on new cars come into effect on the 6th July 2022, speed limiters on all new cars from that date

Reading further am I correct it’s on all new models going forward and not currently released in show rooms? Having ordered a new Puma ST don’t fancy being restricted and having to turn it off every ignition cycle

“In reality, speed merchants, and careless drivers, will not be automatically reined back by their cars just yet. The ISA technology will only apply to all-new models launched after July 6. New cars already launched and in the showrooms will have until July 2024 to be ISA equipped”

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/1035 ... -they-work
ST Performance Grey Matter (Performance Pack / Drivers Assistance Pack / Dark Wheels & Power Tailgate)

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

The Puma has it but it needs to be turned on, it doesn't come on automatically at startup. The system has been on many cars for a while, my Wife has a 6 year old Corsa with a limiter on it, which also has to be turned on.
Going forward, anything set by computer can be unset by anyone determined to do so.... ;)
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
DickDastardly

Post by DickDastardly »

I hope that it uses GPS, as well as, or instead of, the current traffic sign recognition system

Anyone that has tried the intelligent speed limiter on current Fords will have experienced the constant annoyance of your speed being reduced as you pass speed limit signs relating to side roads
ST Line X 155, Desert Island Blue. Ordered 31/12/21, delivered 23/05/22
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

If the speed limiter is set to always on a the default then any change will likely void the insurance.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

FP2022F1T wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:40 pm So new laws on new cars come into effect on the 6th July 2022, speed limiters on all new cars from that date

Unless I am reading that wrong. It states all new models (not new cars). The Puma is not a new model so the 2024 rule comes into play.
DickDastardly

Post by DickDastardly »

Rizmo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:17 pm If the speed limiter is set to always on a the default then any change will likely void the insurance.
That wouldn't be the case if it's designed to be user overridden by use of a simple switch, otherwise we'd all be invalidating our insurance whenever we chose Sport mode.

It would be a different story if it was permanently on and you overrode the settings with something like Forscan
ST Line X 155, Desert Island Blue. Ordered 31/12/21, delivered 23/05/22
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Whatever mode you choose if you are speeding and are involved in an accident there will be no sympathy from the insurance company. That's what I meant.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

lightfoot wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:35 pm
FP2022F1T wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:40 pm So new laws on new cars come into effect on the 6th July 2022, speed limiters on all new cars from that date

Unless I am reading that wrong. It states all new models (not new cars). The Puma is not a new model so the 2024 rule comes into play.
Guess this will be retro fitted after 2024 for existing cars during mot or something I guess, or existing cars on the road will not be required for it to be fully integrated
And then factory fitted after 2024 on all new cars and switched to on unless cancelled each ignition event
ST Performance Grey Matter (Performance Pack / Drivers Assistance Pack / Dark Wheels & Power Tailgate)
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/1035 ... -they-work

Does say in the link it will overide automatically if accelerator pushed hard I guess if it were needed
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

Speed limiters are a good idea if they work correctly. When I'm driving along in a 40 mph limit and the car sees a 20 mph limit on a side road it slows down to 20. That's annoying for me and the cars following me as well as being dangerous.

Yesterday I was driving along the M4 and M5 and at several points, the car and google maps disagreed on the speed limit telling me that the limit was 70 when it was 50 and at others when the 50 limit ended, holding me back to 50 in a 70 mph zone.

Systems need to work accurately and correctly before they are introduced and mandated. I can accept the odd glitch, but these anomalies are happening on a daily basis.