Early Impressions

All Ford Puma related discussions
Tommo56

Post by Tommo56 »

For the past few weeks I've been driving everywhere in Eco mode, just out of curiosity, having previously been using Normal or Sport from new. Although I have the auto gearbox, two things are obvious..... the box changes up the gears much earlier giving lower revs and so a quieter, smoother, more relaxing drive. It might be all psychological but it's quite enjoyable, I still can get some umph when I need it, overtaking etc but it all "feels" smoother.
The other observation is the trip meters reporting an increase in mpl of about 6 miles per litre, but admittedly ive yet to do a real world calculation based on a tank refill.

Still love Sport mode though 😈😈
2021.75 Puma, STLineX Vignale, MHEV, 155bhp, 7spDCT, Fantastic Red.
Winter pack, Massage seats, B&O audio, Fixed LED headlights - all standard AFAIK. Accessories fitted: "AAWireless" Android Auto, rubber floor and megabox mats.

Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Have tried and warmed more to the lure of sport mode now! :lol:.....Definitely responds more when prompted too, feels like a different car, nice to feel the difference a simple button press can do and to be proven it's not just a gimmick!....

Have also noticed in sport mode though, don't know if any others have, that the cars regenerative braking seems a lot more fierce?.
l understand it could be a trait of the sports mode?....
ST line X - Desert Island Blue
Ordered 30/1/22 - Built 18/4/22 - Sat in Dagenham yard since May - Collected 17/6/22 - To be fair it's been a wonderful car, so far!
Tommo56

Post by Tommo56 »

Helmet wrote: ↑Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:14 am Have tried and warmed more to the lure of sport mode now! :lol:.....Definitely responds more when prompted too, feels like a different car, nice to feel the difference a simple button press can do and to be proven it's not just a gimmick!....

Have also noticed in sport mode though, don't know if any others have, that the cars regenerative braking seems a lot more fierce?.
l understand it could be a trait of the sports mode?....
Sport mode is great, always makes me smile. The brakes seem more responsive and, yes, it feels like the regen is more fierce. Steering sharper. Also, sounds great too (yes I know its only the sound enhancer, but even so! 8-) )
2021.75 Puma, STLineX Vignale, MHEV, 155bhp, 7spDCT, Fantastic Red.
Winter pack, Massage seats, B&O audio, Fixed LED headlights - all standard AFAIK. Accessories fitted: "AAWireless" Android Auto, rubber floor and megabox mats.
FluffySheep

Post by FluffySheep »

The difference in Sport mode is much more noticeable if you drive for a few miles in Eco mode and then go into Sport mode. Like Helmet said, it's like driving a different car! The majority of my driving has just been in Normal mode though.
2020 Puma 125 ST Line-X with Winter Pack in Desert Island Blue
Viking16

Post by Viking16 »

Driving modes are a slight gimmick and pushed towards emission and MPG. Sport mode, as with the Focus RS, provides a kick in performance as you would expect from the title, with improved throttle response etc. Normal mode is OK for around urban areas and Eco for the motorway and does effect MPG and can drop the engine down to two cylinder operation. I must admit I shove my ST into Sport mode straight away and switch off stop/start for all modes as soon as it is running. Great driving roads up here in Shetland, well looked after and a lot of winding single track as well as normal carriageway with very little policing. Normally getting around 41mpg and our unleaded fuel has just gone up to Β£1.98p (we get an extra 5p a litre Islands allowance) a litre so we are definitely being taken for a ride!
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Not wanting to drift to far from the thread title, but there had been a lot of chat about our cars actually having cylinder deactivation fitted?, don't know if this is true or not, can't find a proper answer? - this being true, think the car makes itself more eco buy just rescinding on the throttle response.
Other thing l've seen is that some people have a dislike of start stop - cant really work out why? - especially at your price at the pump Viking16 - were l live, it's less then Β£1.90 a litre!.
But l suppose you have got an ST and it's all about the performance and you live on a island, I'm guessing you don't get stuck five deep waiting at junctions like l can do!!...
Ordered 30/1/22 - Built 18/4/22 - Sat in Dagenham yard since May - Collected 17/6/22 - To be fair it's been a wonderful car, so far!
Viking16

Post by Viking16 »

Unlucky if you have to apply the handbrake or stop at a junction most of the timeπŸ˜‚. Start/stop is useful around town, down to personal preference and deactivation is a habit from the RS. ST has a lot of technology on board, all of which has its uses and I enjoy the drive. Drove 3000 miles after picking my ST in Norfolk, comfortable seats and a pleasure to drive, car parks itself and has an excellent three pot engine. Good around town and happy to sit on the motorway with big smiles on twisty B roads. My first Ford was a brand new Y plate Puma, I have a feeling that this may be my last Ford especially with the withdrawal of the Focus in 2025. Puma is a great car which is both practical and fun to drive and I am sure I will enjoy my ownership. Rs 3 had lots of negative press, my car never missed a beat even after the head gasket change fiasco. Enjoy the forums but enjoy 😊 your Puma more!!!!
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Stop start is fine for around town, don't even notice it in the Puma. Of course it's off automatically in 'Sport' I can't see the point of turning it off in the other modes though.
AFAIK the early Pumas dropped a cylinder in 'Eco', but, I'm sure I read somewhere that later ones don't.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

I read as many posts as I can on here, but see so little of you mention your ST and subsequently trying out Track Mode. Why I ask is that?
If the roads are dry, I usually select track and why not I say. Don't be fooled by that word, this mode is just brilliant on road. That said at the same time I switch "ESC" or "ESC Sport" on.
(ESC is automatically disengaged in Track).. Hard to say exactly how and why, but this setting provides just a little bit extra of everything....try it folks.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Viking16 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:55 pm Unlucky if you have to apply the handbrake or stop at a junction most of the timeπŸ˜‚. Start/stop is useful around town, down to personal preference and deactivation is a habit from the RS. ST has a lot of technology on board, all of which has its uses and I enjoy the drive. Drove 3000 miles after picking my ST in Norfolk, comfortable seats and a pleasure to drive, car parks itself and has an excellent three pot engine. Good around town and happy to sit on the motorway with big smiles on twisty B roads. My first Ford was a brand new Y plate Puma, I have a feeling that this may be my last Ford especially with the withdrawal of the Focus in 2025. Puma is a great car which is both practical and fun to drive and I am sure I will enjoy my ownership. Rs 3 had lots of negative press, my car never missed a beat even after the head gasket change fiasco. Enjoy the forums but enjoy 😊 your Puma more!!!!
Your were lucky to have experienced the original puma, something l never have....
Did see one for sale last week on auto trader, 02 plate in silver, 1.7 engine too! - was advertised as a 'rare future classic', was apparently 'tested', so road going! - they were asking 3k for it!!...