Early Impressions

All Ford Puma related discussions
FluffySheep

Post by FluffySheep »

Viking16 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:27 pm I have had my 21 plate ST in grey matter since May, covered about 2000 miles since purchasing. Came from a Focus RS3 which was a fantastic machine, never had a single problem in four and a half years of ownership. My car has the Performance Pack and the Drivers Assistance Pack, self park etc. I am surprised by the drive and performance of the Puma ST, much better than expected and the harsh suspension is not that far off the RS ride. Impressed with the boot space and the cockpit is typically Ford, a little investment in that area would be a step forward, carbon effect is a nice touch. A good car which was a year old too the day when purchased with 1100 miles on the clock for a fair price in my eyes. Just had it Serviced, car is clean underneath with no signs of corrosion or rust so must have spent a lot of time in the showroom. I have had the alloys off and ceramic coated them so they hopefully stay in good condition. I changed cars as the Puma is more practical for me at this moment in life. A good car that has impressed me so far, Mountune 235 and carbon induction kit going on soon, Recaro seats are excellent and better than the Focus ST-3 seats. It is in for a harsh environment up here in Shetland, car will sit outside in all weathers so I will see how the underside corrosion effects the car.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the Puma ST! What are the roads like in Shetland? Good fun I bet. I've never been up there.
Last edited by FluffySheep on Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Puma 125 ST Line-X with Winter Pack in Desert Island Blue

FluffySheep

Post by FluffySheep »

pompeydave wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:20 am Forgot to mention I get the infotainment screen going blank now and again , then seems to be fine on next startup.
Was going to do a full mpg test this week in Cornwall but typical the mrs and I have just gone down with covid.So next longer trip is in sept . Hopefully I can match some other users on here .Have to say I’m very impressed with the mpg so far from this little engine.
Sorry to hear you both have covid. Hopefully it passes without too many symptoms. I haven't looked into the mpg side of the Puma yet. I need a decent road trip!
pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

FluffySheep wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:46 am
pompeydave wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:20 am Forgot to mention I get the infotainment screen going blank now and again , then seems to be fine on next startup.
Was going to do a full mpg test this week in Cornwall but typical the mrs and I have just gone down with covid.So next longer trip is in sept . Hopefully I can match some other users on here .Have to say I’m very impressed with the mpg so far from this little engine.
Sorry to hear you both have covid. Hopefully it passes without too many symptoms. I haven't looked into the mpg side of the Puma yet. I need a decent road trip!
Thanks FluffySheep , covid horrible thing - just drains you. Mrs had it for a few days now and coming out the other side but I’m in early stages still !
Yes get a decent road trip in , I’m sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
2022 St-Line X 125 desert island blue
FluffySheep

Post by FluffySheep »

Helmet wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:43 am Took mine out for it's first proper run on some of the more minor, twisty 'A' roads yesterday and was pleased as punch as she was showing 55mpg going and over 56 mpg on the return!
Did have eco mode on for both ways though, still need more convincing that the mode button actually does anything?....
I can definitely "feel" a difference when driving in eco mode but not sure on the mpg yet.
pompeydave wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:08 am
Thanks FluffySheep , covid horrible thing - just drains you. Mrs had it for a few days now and coming out the other side but I’m in early stages still !
Fingers crossed you only get it mild then!
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

FluffySheep wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:08 pm
Helmet wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:43 am Took mine out for it's first proper run on some of the more minor, twisty 'A' roads yesterday and was pleased as punch as she was showing 55mpg going and over 56 mpg on the return!
Did have eco mode on for both ways though, still need more convincing that the mode button actually does anything?....
I can definitely "feel" a difference when driving in eco mode but not sure on the mpg yet.

I didn't yesterday but when l drove to work this morning, thinking about it more, did the eco mode again and l think compered to normal, it does 'hold' the car back when accelerating, is this what your thoughts are too pompey dave?...
pompeydave wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:08 am

Fingers crossed you only get it mild then!
ST line X - Desert Island Blue
Ordered 30/1/22 - Built 18/4/22 - Sat in Dagenham yard since May - Collected 17/6/22 - To be fair it's been a wonderful car, so far!
FluffySheep

Post by FluffySheep »

Helmet wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:55 pm
I didn't yesterday but when l drove to work this morning, thinking about it more, did the eco mode again and l think compered to normal, it does 'hold' the car back when accelerating, is this what your thoughts are too pompey dave?...
That's exactly how it feels to me.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

FluffySheep wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:57 pm
Helmet wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:55 pm
That's exactly how it feels to me.
Sorry fluffysheep! - got confused by the layout of the replies and quotes on here then, replied to the wrong person!...
l'll have to make more time for myself to adapt and enjoy more these modes, glad others think they actually do something to the cars ability and is not just a gimmick with fancy dash graphics!!....
Ordered 30/1/22 - Built 18/4/22 - Sat in Dagenham yard since May - Collected 17/6/22 - To be fair it's been a wonderful car, so far!
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

The modes are definitely not gimmicks. I think sport and eco modes have almost the exact opposite effect to each other when you accelerate.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Rizmo wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:22 pm The modes are definitely not gimmicks. I think sport and eco modes have almost the exact opposite effect to each other when you accelerate.
Glad you say that Rizmo - will have to go out into the world and try them in anger properly for myself!...
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Don't know if it's the same for everyone, but, I find using eco around town seems to allow driving at a lower speed in 4th for example. Meaning changing of gears a little less often...At motorway speeds I notice little difference in the acceleration between Normal and Eco.
Sport definitely makes a huge difference. :D :D
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.