Early Impressions

All Ford Puma related discussions
FluffySheep

Post by FluffySheep »

I've had my Puma for a little over 24 hours now, so thought I'd post how I'm finding it so far. Very early impressions obviously! It's a 70 plate and has done 11k miles.

I'll start with the niggles.

1. I noticed when adjusting the wing mirrors that the passenger side mirror would not turn in towards the car as much as the driver's side. It could just be me or it could be something caught behind it or maybe something wrong with it. I'll dig deeper on the weekend.

2. I had an issue with the 12 inch screen, in that on one occasion today, I fired the car up and nothing happened on the screen for a good 10 seconds or so. Every other time it has come on almost instantly.

3. There is a slight grinding noise when pressing the brakes. If the radio is on, I can't hear it so it's not too loud. I'm hoping it doesn't need pads or even discs at this point.

Other than that, it's going very well! Driving it has been great, especially between 30mph and 60mph. Sport mode is a winner! The ride is smoother than the Focus I had previously. I've had plenty of people comment on how great it looks inside and out. The stereo is very good. Wireless phone charging is working well. I've tried the heated seats, which I'm really happy with but don't have much to compare them to as this is the first car I've had with them. I'm looking forward to the weekend to spend a bit more time with it and try out some of the features I haven't used yet.
2020 Puma 125 ST Line-X with Winter Pack in Desert Island Blue

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Have a look around the forum for the mirror issue. It can be resolved by removing something from behind the mirror, some on here have done it I think.

Edit:- I found the thread.... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=177&start=30

Your dealer should fix it... ;) :D
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
FluffySheep

Post by FluffySheep »

I found the thread after reading your reply. Thanks! At least I know I'm not going mad and it is actually an issue. The previous owner must have been taller than me otherwise they must have noticed it. The salesman who I dealt with is ringing me tomorrow to see how I'm finding the car, so I'll mention it.
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

Glad you enjoying it :)
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
FluffySheep

Post by FluffySheep »

I'm getting a lot of positive comments from people about the Puma. The colour is a winner by the looks of it! Passengers are also saying how smooth and comfortable it is too.
pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

Hi FluffySheep
I’ve got same model to yours in similar colour and too thoroughly impressed with it. I don’t have the heated seats as slightly newer (71 plate) and no winter pack but still happy with car. I’ve only done 1500 miles since feb when it arrived but a couple of Cornwall holidays will soon bump this up . Only issues I have is going over bumps there’s a clang from front suspension , seen something about bolts need retightening on subframe and I have an annoying vibration coming from either left side of glovebox area or interior trim running down windscreen , this does seem flimsy and moves but could be coming from numerous areas around there.
I don’t want to put it into Ford for days just for a rattle / vibration so will persevere in finding it myself. I’m used to them- I had various Vauxhalls before….they all had rattles lol.
Other than that have had many comments on style , colour etc . Didn’t get that with previous Vauxhalls .
Averaging 45mpg , more on a run. Dropped tyre pressures from factory 38 all round !!! To about 32 and much better.
I’m used to 200bhp from a previous Astra so obvious drop in power but I have to say it’s very good for the power under the bonnet.
And much better mpg than previous cars.
2022 St-Line X 125 desert island blue
FluffySheep

Post by FluffySheep »

pompeydave wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:45 am Hi FluffySheep
I’ve got same model to yours in similar colour and too thoroughly impressed with it. I don’t have the heated seats as slightly newer (71 plate) and no winter pack but still happy with car. I’ve only done 1500 miles since feb when it arrived but a couple of Cornwall holidays will soon bump this up . Only issues I have is going over bumps there’s a clang from front suspension , seen something about bolts need retightening on subframe and I have an annoying vibration coming from either left side of glovebox area or interior trim running down windscreen , this does seem flimsy and moves but could be coming from numerous areas around there.
I don’t want to put it into Ford for days just for a rattle / vibration so will persevere in finding it myself. I’m used to them- I had various Vauxhalls before….they all had rattles lol.
Other than that have had many comments on style , colour etc . Didn’t get that with previous Vauxhalls .
Averaging 45mpg , more on a run. Dropped tyre pressures from factory 38 all round !!! To about 32 and much better.
I’m used to 200bhp from a previous Astra so obvious drop in power but I have to say it’s very good for the power under the bonnet.
And much better mpg than previous cars.
I get that clang going over bumps as well, unless I really slow down and crawl over them. Luckily I have no other rattles or vibrations...for now anyway! I'm looking forward to taking it on a decent journey and test it out on the motorway.

I had the same ecoboost engine in my previous Focus, so I wasn't expecting a huge difference in power but the Puma does feel like it has a bit more oomph. I can definitely feel it in sport mode.
Viking16

Post by Viking16 »

I have had my 21 plate ST in grey matter since May, covered about 2000 miles since purchasing. Came from a Focus RS3 which was a fantastic machine, never had a single problem in four and a half years of ownership. My car has the Performance Pack and the Drivers Assistance Pack, self park etc. I am surprised by the drive and performance of the Puma ST, much better than expected and the harsh suspension is not that far off the RS ride. Impressed with the boot space and the cockpit is typically Ford, a little investment in that area would be a step forward, carbon effect is a nice touch. A good car which was a year old too the day when purchased with 1100 miles on the clock for a fair price in my eyes. Just had it Serviced, car is clean underneath with no signs of corrosion or rust so must have spent a lot of time in the showroom. I have had the alloys off and ceramic coated them so they hopefully stay in good condition. I changed cars as the Puma is more practical for me at this moment in life. A good car that has impressed me so far, Mountune 235 and carbon induction kit going on soon, Recaro seats are excellent and better than the Focus ST-3 seats. It is in for a harsh environment up here in Shetland, car will sit outside in all weathers so I will see how the underside corrosion effects the car.
pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

Forgot to mention I get the infotainment screen going blank now and again , then seems to be fine on next startup.
Was going to do a full mpg test this week in Cornwall but typical the mrs and I have just gone down with covid.So next longer trip is in sept . Hopefully I can match some other users on here .Have to say I’m very impressed with the mpg so far from this little engine.
2022 St-Line X 125 desert island blue
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Took mine out for it's first proper run on some of the more minor, twisty 'A' roads yesterday and was pleased as punch as she was showing 55mpg going and over 56 mpg on the return!
Did have eco mode on for both ways though, still need more convincing that the mode button actually does anything?....
ST line X - Desert Island Blue
Ordered 30/1/22 - Built 18/4/22 - Sat in Dagenham yard since May - Collected 17/6/22 - To be fair it's been a wonderful car, so far!