New driver - Ford Puma

All Ford Puma related discussions
lukeb7781

Post by lukeb7781 »

Hello all!

Hoping to get some advice around leasing a new Ford Puma soon.

I'm in my mid 30s and recently passed my driving test over here in the UK. I was a motorcyclist during my mid 20s but having moved to London and haven't needed a car or bike for ten years, though having moved out of a big city and owning a large dog my girlfriend and would like to get a car.

With the above in mind our use case is essentially weekend or week 'pleasure drives' (we both enjoy driving), some motorway trips to visit various places at weekends, and no commuting at all.

We're both set on the Puma as we love how it looks and the boot is large enough for our greyhound, but I have a few questions!

Over here in the UK, it seems the ST Line 155 is out of stock everywhere. It's out until January 2023 as far as I can tell, which is longer than we'd like to wait really. Is the 125bhp version of the car still good for our use case? It'll only ever be two of us plus a dog so it'll never be heavy, but we will do some longer motorway trips.

As a first time (but slightly older, sensible driver) is this a good car for our use case? Essentially fun to drive but easy to use on motorway is what we want.

I can have the 125bhp ST Line X in two weeks, rather than the 155bhp version in seven months. I wonder if as a new driver with 30 hours experience in a car, the 125bhp would be plenty?

Thanks very much for advice

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I can guarantee that the 125 will be plenty for your needs. I'm not the slowest driver on the block but have found the 125 to be willing and eager. No problems on hills and plenty of grunt for overtaking.
Pop it into sport mode and you can still have some fun.
For practicality and the use you want, I'd say it was ideal for you. Definitely not worth the seven month wait for the 155 in your case IMO. :)
Welcome to the forum by the way.... :D
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Whilst I am absolutely sure 125bhp Puma will be more than suitable. But and big but, you mention a large dog. What provision is possible on the Puma to safely secure your animal. Have you looked into a dog guard if indeed there is one to fit the Puma. Be it a Ford or after market part?
Important that you check this out b4 you buy the Puma, I think!

Actually I just checked Ford PET ACCESSORIES on its website. Yes everything you might need. So why not strike up a deal with your dealership and get a discount if you can. Safety is key especially when animals are involved.
Last edited by Rays1 on Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Having driven the 125 I would say it will be fine for your usage.

I love my 155 but know a 125 would be fine.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Steve1960

Post by Steve1960 »

I was very impressed with my Ecosport i think that was 124,might of been 123,anyway it was an excellent engine,its 100 mile round trip to my mothers and 96% motorway,it performed well and didn’t struggle in the outside lane at the given(or thereabouts)speed limit😁i have ordered the 155 for my new Puma,but did have a loan Puma(125) when my Kuga was in the dealers,so yes the 125 will be fine,might also be easy on your pocket when you go to insure it…..
Steve… Puma st-line vignale Auto 155,Desert Island Blue,Power Tailgate,Driver Assist Pack,
AMS1969

Post by AMS1969 »

I’ve got the 125 and it’s absolutely fine for motorways etc, the 155 probably is better if you have an auto gearbox or do lots of high speed driving and country road overtaking etc. I actually found it helped my driving style as being a heavier car than my fiesta it’s a bit slower to accelerate away from the lights etc, I find I tend to enjoy the drive now. I imagine its also slightly cheaper to insure and also on fuel. Only other thing well worth getting if you do lots of muddy/beach dog walks are the rubber floor mats, very easy to wash off - good luck with which ever version you go for
AMS1969

Post by AMS1969 »

One other thing I’d say is go with whatever you can get quickly and is in stock, I don’t think you can really go wrong with any of the trim or engine combinations - the 6-8 month wait is very frustrating and not something I’ll do again in a hurry!
alanp

Post by alanp »

I also have the 125, no problem whatsoever on longer trips, in fact we’re going down to Cornwall at the end of next week and am relishing the journey, if you can get one with adaptive cruise then it makes long trips sooo much easier
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Mike

Post by Mike »

I am sure the 125 will be ok for you but if you really want a 155 look on Autotrader as there are quite a few on there in London, you didn't say where you moved to after London but it might be worth a check to see what is already in the UK at dealers near you . You never know because if the dealer can get you a 125 in 2 weeks it is already sat at a dealership somewhere.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

Welcome to the forum :D
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6