Engine cover

All Ford Puma related discussions
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.

Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Vendee wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:30 am
Rays1 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:00 am From all the posts here it indeed sounds like Ford have done away with the engine covers now.
Yes it may save on plastic. But honestly it's a real retro grade step in my opinion. Tell you what I hope they don't delete it on an ST or even on a future RS.
Who would want to ever display thier car/engine as we do at performance shows and meetings, I certainly would not.
But it is purely cosmetic. Its so small it won't have any impact on engine noise. People who display their engines at show are in a very small minority. Most owners won't even lift the bonnet to check the oil more than 4 times a year.
Ha ha, yes I agree most would hardly ever lift the bonnet. But hey I am petrol head and with it being such a cheep item why remove it. It amazes me what people expect and don't expect. Android Auto, rain sensing wipers, auto high beam the list is endless. But its okay to get rid of a cheep engine cover for gods sake.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Rays1 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:41 pm
Vendee wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:30 am
Rays1 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:00 am From all the posts here it indeed sounds like Ford have done away with the engine covers now.
Yes it may save on plastic. But honestly it's a real retro grade step in my opinion. Tell you what I hope they don't delete it on an ST or even on a future RS.
Who would want to ever display thier car/engine as we do at performance shows and meetings, I certainly would not.
But it is purely cosmetic. Its so small it won't have any impact on engine noise. People who display their engines at show are in a very small minority. Most owners won't even lift the bonnet to check the oil more than 4 times a year.
Ha ha, yes I agree most would hardly ever lift the bonnet. But hey I am petrol head and with it being such a cheep item why remove it. It amazes me what people expect and don't expect. Android Auto, rain sensing wipers, auto high beam the list is endless. But its okay to get rid of a cheep engine cover for gods sake.
How much does 2mm of tyre tread cost yet they skimp on that. All those cars and all those pennies..... They all add up to quite a lot of money for Ford
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Rays1 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:41 pm Ha ha, yes I agree most would hardly ever lift the bonnet. But hey I am petrol head and with it being such a cheep item why remove it. It amazes me what people expect and don't expect. Android Auto, rain sensing wipers, auto high beam the list is endless. But its okay to get rid of a cheep engine cover for gods sake.
I’m sure most people would want safety/convenience features over a piece of plastic they would hardly ever see or does anything.

Not being one myself, why would a petrol head be fussed about something that covers the engine they want to show? 🤷‍♂️
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Thanks “Rays1” for an answer to my question.

I wonder, if you could get a cover, would it actually fit because if the holes for the mounting studs aren’t there then we’ve got a problem. Also, would the cover actually clear the pipes/wiring underneath if perhaps they may have been re-routed in any way.
Puma ST-Line X 155 | Manual | Grey Matter | Driver Assistance Pack | Winter Pack | Power Tailgate | Spare Wheel
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Vantage wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:13 pm Thanks “Rays1” for an answer to my question.

I wonder, if you could get a cover, would it actually fit because if the holes for the mounting studs aren’t there then we’ve got a problem. Also, would the cover actually clear the pipes/wiring underneath if perhaps they may have been re-routed in any way.
I will do my best to find out. But very much doubt there would have been any rerouting.
I also doubt the engine will have undergone modification where a part deletion does not affect basic design and or performance. If the cover has and as I now suspect it has, been subjected to permanent deletion. Then there will be if we look hard enough, clear evidence of design redundancy. The yellow receptacle next to the oil filler cap is just one of those examples.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Hi “Rays1”, sorry, when I say “if you could get a cover” I was speaking generally and didn’t expect you personally to get one yourself and check if it fits, apologies if there was any confusion.

You’re totally correct in saying that to make a deletion would not affect another component by having to be redesigned as that would be pointless. There are probably just blanking plugs covering the original mounting stud holes.
Puma ST-Line X 155 | Manual | Grey Matter | Driver Assistance Pack | Winter Pack | Power Tailgate | Spare Wheel
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Vantage wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:23 pm Hi “Rays1”, sorry, when I say “if you could get a cover” I was speaking generally and didn’t expect you personally to get one yourself and check if it fits, apologies if there was any confusion.

You’re totally correct in saying that to make a deletion would not affect another component by having to be redesigned as that would be pointless. There are probably just blanking plugs covering the original mounting stud holes.
No worries Vantage. But intend to do a bit of digging all the same. Engineer by trade although aircraft and not automotive I love a challenge.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

It’ll be interesting to see what you can come up with.
SteveandKate

Post by SteveandKate »

I’ve now emailed Ford UK customer service with photos of mine for an explanation of why? and that all new owners inc myself are disappointed in the finish in the engine bay and we expect more from Ford! TBA guys