Engine cover

All Ford Puma related discussions
SteveandKate

Post by SteveandKate »

This is my post and it’s official, you don’t get engine covers any more, I went to my local Perrys Ford and they do not supply the covers from this year! Tight arse B******S I’ll be keeping my eye on eBay for a mint one, 2 on there now with tiny scratches for about £30 🙄

My Pumas called Bob

Post by My Pumas called Bob »

It looks as though the current 2022 models being built have a few changes which are not for the better. As well as no engine cover, from another thread it looks as though mud flaps are no longer an option as the mountings to fit them are no longer there, and through some homework Ive done Ive discovered that a CD player is no longer an option and my dealer confirms current Pumas being made no longer have the required wiring loom so a CD cannot be fitted,

Im sure there may be other little things which Ford have cut back on, any information to shed further light on this would be appreciated.
on my 3rd Puma - 24 reg Vivid Ruby Edition 125 hybrid manual
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

SteveandKate wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:55 am This is my post and it’s official, you don’t get engine covers any more, I went to my local Perrys Ford and they do not supply the covers from this year! Tight arse B******S I’ll be keeping my eye on eBay for a mint one, 2 on there now with tiny scratches for about £30 🙄
Do you still have the mounting posts for the cover or will you have to buy them too?
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

My Pumas called Bob wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:43 am It looks as though the current 2022 models being built have a few changes which are not for the better. As well as no engine cover, from another thread it looks as though mud flaps are no longer an option as the mountings to fit them are no longer there, and through some homework Ive done Ive discovered that a CD player is no longer an option and my dealer confirms current Pumas being made no longer have the required wiring loom so a CD cannot be fitted,
Thin end of the wedge........ the 8 track cartridge player will be for the chop next.

I'll get my coat :lol:
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Just to clarify this isn't a rocker cover😲, it's only a cosmetic fitting used to cover engine gubbins you normally find you have to pull this off to change/check spark plugs etc.
The actual rocker cover covers the cam and is bolted and sealed with a gasket to preserve oil and prevent dirt/dust ingress, on a personal note I think it's a particular messy looking engine without it.😉😁
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

If the cover doesn’t actually do anything other than create a more aesthetic look, it might not be a cost cutting move entirely. It could be part of a move to reduce unnecessary plastic use and be more “green” when working towards becoming net zero.

It may be worth considering. Possibly other brands do the same now too?
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

NeilS wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:34 am If the cover doesn’t actually do anything other than create a more aesthetic look, it might not be a cost cutting move entirely. It could be part of a move to reduce unnecessary plastic use and be more “green” when working towards becoming net zero.

I agree. If its only cosmetic then deleting it is a good way to reduce plastic use. Of course Ford are going to pocket those savings rather than pass them back to the customer.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

From all the posts here it indeed sounds like Ford have done away with the engine covers now.
Yes it may save on plastic. But honestly it's a real retro grade step in my opinion. Tell you what I hope they don't delete it on an ST or even on a future RS.
Who would want to ever display thier car/engine as we do at performance shows and meetings, I certainly would not.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Rays1 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:00 am From all the posts here it indeed sounds like Ford have done away with the engine covers now.
Yes it may save on plastic. But honestly it's a real retro grade step in my opinion. Tell you what I hope they don't delete it on an ST or even on a future RS.
Who would want to ever display thier car/engine as we do at performance shows and meetings, I certainly would not.
But it is purely cosmetic. Its so small it won't have any impact on engine noise. People who display their engines at show are in a very small minority. Most owners won't even lift the bonnet to check the oil more than 4 times a year.
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

NeilS wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:34 am If the cover doesn’t actually do anything other than create a more aesthetic look, it might not be a cost cutting move entirely. It could be part of a move to reduce unnecessary plastic use and be more “green” when working towards becoming net zero.

Think the initial thinking was it saves crap falling into the spark plug recesses, eg when topping up your oil etc so it's a useful part to have in the great scheme of things it's recyclable too, so it's a bit of a loss methinks anyway ☹️🙂
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue