Number plate position

All Ford Puma related discussions
Pops's Puma

Post by Pops's Puma »

Im sure its not me, but the more images i see of a puma it seems clear the positioning of the number plate varies a lot. Is this down to dealer choice, or have people had it set lower or higher depending how much of the grill they want to show?. I much prefer those which are set as low as possible and that hardly obscure the large grill - after all that is a major design statement, why spoil it with a piece of plastic.

Spoonface

Post by Spoonface »

Just flicking through Autotrader I can see what you mean. Some are sat on the lip between the main grille and bottom grille and some over hang the bottom grille more. Only thing to be aware of is the square bit in the middle of the bottom grille is a sensor so don't cover that too much.
Hers: ST-Line Design Frozen White | His: ST-Line Grey Matter
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Both my plates have been fitted incorrectly. Front too high and the rear has been fastened near the top of the plate so it kicks out at the bottom. Dealer has sent pre-drilled replacements, the front will be ok but the rear will have two extra holes in the bodywork. I may buy a new rear and stick it on.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Isn't the front fixed by a bracket/clip system to the grill? (Too cold to go look :oops: ) Can these just be moved up and down? I must admit not an issue I'd thought about, mine look OK.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

I have got the ford performance plate tohold the number plates. No drill holes.

ford-performance-kennzeichenhalter-schwarz-mit-ford-performance-fp-2372312_600x600.jpg

Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Rizmo wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:42 am Both my plates have been fitted incorrectly. Front too high and the rear has been fastened near the top of the plate so it kicks out at the bottom. Dealer has sent pre-drilled replacements, the front will be ok but the rear will have two extra holes in the bodywork. I may buy a new rear and stick it on.
That is very bad. There are two screw hole already in-built locations at manufacture on the rear. They (the dealership) obsolutely should not have drilled the extra holes. For the rear you should drill the plate accordingly to suit those original hole positions.

For the front, again there are two specific holes already in place. On my ST the dealership incorrectly positioned to plate on the front, way too low.
I subsequently purchased the Ford (Performance Ford) plate holder and reposition it central.
My advice for the front is to reposition the reg plate so as to be equal between intercooller and radiator. Definitely a bad idea to allow the plate to restrict airflow for the intercooller.
Unfortunately if necessary buy a new set of reg plates and drill positions accordingly. What ever you do. Do not drill the body work.
Final word on the front do not over tighten the attaching screws for fear of cracking the body work.
Yes you could stick the plates on the rear, but I would not recommend doing the same on the front as surface area is limited.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Thanks for the advice Rays1. Dealer sent new metal plates pre-drilled so I may buy a new set.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

The weather is too cold to be messing with plastic bodywork so i will wait for warmer times.