Ceramic coating

All Ford Puma related discussions
JCO

Post by JCO »

Hi all , my puma auto st line x solar silver, black roof, winter pack, auto tailgate, driver assistance pack, delivery end November fingers crossed 🤞 has anyone had or have any thoughts on ceramic coating I am considering it the cost is approx £750 with a local detailing centre your thoughts on this would be much appreciated thank you .
Puma st line x solar silver black contrast roof 125 Automatic, driver assistant pack, auto tailgate/keyless entry, winter pack, :D

BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Wow, that's a lot of spondoolies, would buy a lot of cleaning products and a new pressure washer too, better qualified peeps on here to advise but personally I wouldn't pay that for a coating ☹️🙂
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

That kind of money should mean a last forever coating. That quote is easily the most expensive I've heard of.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

Have you had a quote off NeilS :D
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

JCO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:23 pm Hi all , my puma auto st line x solar silver, black roof, winter pack, auto tailgate, driver assistance pack, delivery end November fingers crossed 🤞 has anyone had or have any thoughts on ceramic coating I am considering it the cost is approx £750 with a local detailing centre your thoughts on this would be much appreciated thank you .
I'm in the same position as you.... delivery slipped to mid November but already planning how to look after the paint. I think I was facing about £750 for a ceramic coating. That price obviously includes a good wash/decontaminate/clay bar/machine polish. You can do that yourself but you have to know what you are doing and ideally have a large garage to work in.

I decided to go for the Ceramic Lite approach which people like you and me can do. I'm using a product called TAC Moonlight which is a ceramic product but it only lasts about 8 months rather than the 2+ years of a full ceramic coating. This Moonlight is easy to apply although you still need to make sure the car is squeaky clean to ensure a good bond and you do need to keep the car dry for a few hours while the product cures (overnight is best). I have also bought some Gyeon Wet Coat which goes on top of the Moonlight once cured. Wet coat is applied when the car is wet and is rinsed off immediately. It seals the paint, gives good gloss and water repellency. You apply the wet coat about once a month.

The Moonlight is £35 and you will get about 15 treatments from one bottle. (Gyeon Can Coat is a similar product) and the Gyeon Wet Coat is £11 and a bottle should last at least a year. A lot cheaper than £750 but needs some effort on your part. Search on Youtube for TAC systems Moonlight and Gyeon Can Coat for more info and reviews.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Some good comments and advice.

It’s all about preparation. That where the time, effort and potential cost comes into play. A good surface is key. The last thing you want is for swirls, marring or imperfections to be sealed in.

Yes it can be done yourself with the right equipment, technique and time - that’s the balance you need to weigh off against the cost of someone doing it for you.

For someone like me who likes to wash them regularly, try new products and techniques, a coating wouldn’t be ideal. It can limit your wash technique and choice of product.

I’m one of those who enjoys the process of washing, decontaminating, polishing and protecting.

For those who want to look after their paintwork with minimal effort and time, a ceramic coating may be worth considering.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
microbe

Post by microbe »

NeilS wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:50 pm
For those who want to look after their paintwork with minimal effort and time, a ceramic coating may be worth considering.
That's why I spent £600 having my Puma ceramic coated a couple of days after picking it up last December. Preparation took a long time even though it looked OK to my eyes. A quick wash is all that is needed to make it look sparkling
Puma ST-Line X 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Desert Island Blue 2021
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

A quick SAFE wash with the right products 😉
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
JCO

Post by JCO »

Brilliant thanks for all your reply’s and thoughts it’s very much appreciated.
Puma st line x solar silver black contrast roof 125 Automatic, driver assistant pack, auto tailgate/keyless entry, winter pack, :D
andydajo

Post by andydajo »

Ive seen two quotes for this with local detailers, one quotes £250 and needing your car for one day, the other charges around £700 and needs your car for 5 days - I know which one I'd trust and it's not the cheap one!!
Ford Puma ST-Line X First Edition 155PS