Software update ?

All Ford Puma related discussions
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

Stevep999 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:27 pm I believe it uses fordpass to connect to internet at times
That's interesting, and it might explain something else that happened on the same day.

About half an hour before the time stamp on the FordPass message regarding the completed update, I had been out for a short drive during which I had a one-off error message on the instrument cluster saying that the emergency call system was inoperative. Maybe the error was caused by the update hogging the bandwidth!
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)

MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

BjNtheBear wrote: ↑Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:44 pm
MagneticGrey wrote: ↑Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:31 pm I had the same message as the op a couple of days ago. I'm puzzled as I have never connected my car to the home wifi; nor do I have a 4g subscription for the car. Do some updates come f.o.c. via 4g?
Maybe your mobile hotspot?
Good thinking, but I don't use a mobile hotspot. Probably just as well given the potential cost of using mobile data for car updates :o :D .
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Mine is connected to my home WiFi with a strong signal and it never does anything. All updates have been done via USB and personally, I'd prefer to do it that way.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ford site says there is a 900 mb update, when in the car today did a scan for updates and it said no available so a little confused
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
asl3312

Post by asl3312 »

When updating via USB, does the engine have to be running or just the ignition on?
***NOW SOLD*** 2020 ST Line X 7DCT Auto 125PS - Magnetic Grey - DAP - LED - HFPT - Panoramic Roof - 19" Alloys
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Just the ignition on has historic consequences for me, Decades ago I burnt out some electronics with just the ignition on so it is probably not necessary but I always perform USB updates during driving trips. Long ones for the Map updates :geek:
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

asl3312 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:20 pm When updating via USB, does the engine have to be running or just the ignition on?
You absolutely must have the engine running when updating with a memory stick.
The update must be allowed to complete with engine on and running. In fact hold fire until you've had opertunity to read and act on any on screen messages.
Tip: before you slot in the the flash drive, engine running, set up your sync screen just the way you want it, run the update and leave as is, just don't change anything in anyway what's so ever, not even the audio volume.
asl3312

Post by asl3312 »

Rays1 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:13 pm
asl3312 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:20 pm When updating via USB, does the engine have to be running or just the ignition on?
The update must be allowed to complete with engine on and running. In fact hold fire until you've had opertunity to read and act on any on screen messages.
Tip: before you slot in the the flash drive, engine running, set up your sync screen just the way you want it, run the update and leave as is, just don't change anything in anyway what's so ever, not even the audio volume.
Is this for any other reason other than to prevent the battery going flat or the car switching off due to low voltage? I was wondering whether hooking up a battery maintainer would work instead of going on a unnecessary drive, especially for the massive map update.
***NOW SOLD*** 2020 ST Line X 7DCT Auto 125PS - Magnetic Grey - DAP - LED - HFPT - Panoramic Roof - 19" Alloys
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

asl3312 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:41 pm
Rays1 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:13 pm
Is this for any other reason other than to prevent the battery going flat or the car switching off due to low voltage? I was wondering whether hooking up a battery maintainer would work instead of going on a unnecessary drive, especially for the massive map update.
I doubt that and it's not just Ford's. Fiat vehicles also insist on the engine running whilst installing an update. Cars these days are full of electronic gizmos and I for one would be very wary of hooking up any type of external power for fear bricking a PCB or Chip.
I did the F10 map exactly the way Fords update manual instructs. No issues but boy oh boy it took an age.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Take the opportunity for a spin around some country lanes in sport mode.....You won't notice the time passing... :D
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.