Cylinder deactivation

All Ford Puma related discussions
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

Can anyone confirm whether the Puma has it or not? I have seen wome conflicting reports, though the dealer did say that a cylinder deactivated at low revs.

Below 2k revs, the engine does feel like a cylinder could be deactivating but equally it feels like the engine might be labouring too (can't really tell which).

If it is deactivating than I would be quite happy to drive below 2k revs, but of course don't want to allow the engine to labour.

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Think Wdf76 said the deactivation was scrapped for the European market. There is a thread elsewhere on this subject.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

Yeah, I do remember reading that thread, but I'm not sure it was 100% conclusive. I wonder if I can find anything in the ETIS.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

AFAIK the Puma still gets the cylinder deactivation...I'm sure even the ST gets it, from looking at specs on 'tinternet..
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

Sparks wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:25 pm AFAIK the Puma still gets the cylinder deactivation...I'm sure even the ST gets it, from looking at specs on 'tinternet..
Well, you usually seem to know what you are talking about Sparks, so that's probably the most reliable info I'm likelt to get.

Peehaps what feels like engine labouring to me under 2k RPM is actually cylinder deactivation. I had exactly the same engine (less the mild hybrid bit) in my B Max and that certainly didn't labour at 2k RPM - nearer 1500 from what I remember.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

The 155 has more torque than the 125 so maybe that is a factor.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

cianpars wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 pm Can anyone confirm whether the Puma has it or not? I have seen wome conflicting reports, though the dealer did say that a cylinder deactivated at low revs.

Below 2k revs, the engine does feel like a cylinder could be deactivating but equally it feels like the engine might be labouring too (can't really tell which).

If it is deactivating than I would be quite happy to drive below 2k revs, but of course don't want to allow the engine to labour.
Both the 125 and 155PS mild hybrid manual Pumas tend to feel as though they are on the point of labouring if driven in 4th gear in a 30 limit. I've read that cylinder deactivation on these engines (where fitted) only takes 14 milliseconds to activate or deactivate, and only operates under very light engine loads. From this, I would guess that if the sensation doesn't disappear immediately when you apply more pressure to the accelerator, then it probably isn't caused by cylinder deactivation (although you may still have this).
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

cianpars wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:31 am
Sparks wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:25 pm AFAIK the Puma still gets the cylinder deactivation...I'm sure even the ST gets it, from looking at specs on 'tinternet..
Well, you usually seem to know what you are talking about Sparks, so that's probably the most reliable info I'm likely to get.

Peehaps what feels like engine labouring to me under 2k RPM is actually cylinder deactivation. I had exactly the same engine (less the mild hybrid bit) in my B Max and that certainly didn't labour at 2k RPM - nearer 1500 from what I remember.
Never been accused of knowing what I'm talking about before.... :shock:

As MagneticGrey says, they aren't that happy if you don't change down when to third when town driving at about 30Mph...Not sure it's caused by cylinder deactivation or it's just the gearing.
I've just got used to mine and drive it how it likes to be driven so don't notice any labouring. Same as buying any new car over the years, I don't think any of them drove the same and needed gears changing at different times.
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

Sparks wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:24 pm
Well, you usually seem to know what you are talking about Sparks, so that's probably the most reliable info I'm likely to get.

As MagneticGrey says, they aren't that happy if you don't change down when to third when town driving at about 30Mph...Not sure it's caused by cylinder deactivation or it's just the gearing.
I've just got used to mine and drive it how it likes to be driven so don't notice any labouring. Same as buying any new car over the years, I don't think any of them drove the same and needed gears changing at different times.
Using the fuel economy gauge, I've found that there's no fuel penalty for ignoring the gear change indicator and picking the gear that feels right!
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

MagneticGrey wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:30 pm
Sparks wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:24 pm

Using the fuel economy gauge, I've found that there's no fuel penalty for ignoring the gear change indicator and picking the gear that feels right!
Yes, they are only there to (supposedly) control emissions and came along in EU legislation. Anyone who has driven for a few years will know that very few cars benefit from being driven by observing them.
Not checked on fuel consumption as I rarely look at that, but, happy to take your findings..... :D