Cylinder deactivation

All Ford Puma related discussions
Leaky5

Post by Leaky5 »

Just asked my son about this this. (Emissions technician at Ford Dunton).
He actually asked an engineer about this recently. If your car is a 70 plate onwards then it probably won’t have it. They have dropped the function and will not be doing it again on Pumas

cianpars

Post by cianpars »

Leaky5 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:31 pm Just asked my son about this this. (Emissions technician at Ford Dunton).
He actually asked an engineer about this recently. If your car is a 70 plate onwards then it probably won’t have it. They have dropped the function and will not be doing it again on Pumas
I wonder why. I thought it was a feature and a benefit.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

And yet there are plenty of references to it being a feature post that even in the ST....
https://uk.motor1.com/news/445516/2021- ... -revealed/
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/for ... st/driving

I'm not doubting that the engineer is correct, just can't find any reports from Ford of them dropping it....
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Leaky5

Post by Leaky5 »

Yes. Can’t find anything about it being dropped

The word about the ST to me sounds like they are doing it because it’s a bigger engine. But that might be just me reading it wrong.

Although it loses the standard Puma’s mild-hybridisation, the ST does feature cylinder deactivation for greater efficiency: Ford says the software can do this in just 14 milliseconds, 20 times faster than the blink of an eye.
Leaky5

Post by Leaky5 »

He just said it is being kept on the ST because it’s got the bigger engine
kevmond

Post by kevmond »

Leaky5 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:04 pm He just said it is being kept on the ST because it’s got the bigger engine
Might be a bit of confusion here.
1.0 Fox (Upgrade) as fitted to PUMA DOES have VDE (Variable Displacement Engine, Cylinder deactivation) as does the 1.5 Dragon (ST variant)
I'm not aware of VDE being deleted on Fox (UG), however the next derivative of Dragon does have it deleted.
Fox UG is relatively new to market, was first fitted in current shape Focus, then Puma & soon to be Fiesta (if not already!)

Out of interest, what's your sons name?
I used to work in the emissions lab at Dunton, since moved over to Powertrain development Laboratory.
White ST with Performance pack.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

Still have the same problem. Some are saying yes and some are saying no, so I'm still really none the wiser. As it feels quite rough, like labouring much under 2k rpm I still get the feeling that my car might have it. I had the same engine in my previous car and it was still quite smooth at 1500 rpm even though sometimes labouring a bit.

I might give it a little test and see what my fuel consumption looks like driving below 2k for a while.
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

cianpars wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:33 pm Still have the same problem. Some are saying yes and some are saying no, so I'm still really none the wiser. As it feels quite rough, like labouring much under 2k rpm I still get the feeling that my car might have it. I had the same engine in my previous car and it was still quite smooth at 1500 rpm even though sometimes labouring a bit.

I might give it a little test and see what my fuel consumption looks like driving below 2k for a while.
Was your previous car a non-hybrid? Not sure why this would make a difference in terms of low-rev vibration but I'm wondering if it might.
I had a test drive in a Focus 125MHEV and that also felt laboured at low revs, albeit possibly slightly less.

This is something I fixated on when I first got my Puma but it doesn't bother me at all now.
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

MagneticGrey wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:08 pm
cianpars wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:33 pm Still have the same problem. Some are saying yes and some are saying no, so I'm still really none the wiser. As it feels quite rough, like labouring much under 2k rpm I still get the feeling that my car might have it. I had the same engine in my previous car and it was still quite smooth at 1500 rpm even though sometimes labouring a bit.

Was your previous car a non-hybrid? Not sure why this would make a difference in terms of low-rev vibration but I'm wondering if it might.
I had a test drive in a Focus 125MHEV and that also felt laboured at low revs, albeit possibly slightly less.

This is something I fixated on when I first got my Puma but it doesn't bother me at all now.
The Puma is somewat heavier than my B Max, so that may have something to do with it, though I too have got used to it and just keep a few more revs on. From an economy perspective, it's good though. I averaged 46.5 mpg for the B Max (over 40,000 miles and 52.5 from the Puma over the first 3,000 miles.
Tommo56

Post by Tommo56 »

cianpars wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:17 am
MagneticGrey wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:08 pm

The Puma is somewat heavier than my B Max, so that may have something to do with it, though I too have got used to it and just keep a few more revs on. From an economy perspective, it's good though. I averaged 46.5 mpg for the B Max (over 40,000 miles and 52.5 from the Puma over the first 3,000 miles.
Cianpars.... I had a BMax 1.6 Automatic before this Puma, great car, smooth acceleration from stop, although underpowered. The Puma is obviously more powerful, but I've noticed when pulling away from start it sounds like a diesel tractor, just for a fraction of a second, but it pulls away well, and the sound disappears immediately. I'm guessing it's going from 2 cylinders to 3 cylinders as I move away? I know it's not an issue, I accept its a feature of the engine. It doesn't cough, splutter or lose power as I pull away (which would be dangerous if I was pulling out of a junction for example). It picks up smoothly and with the auto box can accelerate from start like "shot off a shivel" :D
2021.75 Puma, STLineX Vignale, MHEV, 155bhp, 7spDCT, Fantastic Red.
Winter pack, Massage seats, B&O audio, Fixed LED headlights - all standard AFAIK. Accessories fitted: "AAWireless" Android Auto, rubber floor and megabox mats.