Driving Modes

All Ford Puma related discussions
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

In the few weeks I've had the Puma, I've managed to understand most of its electronic wizardry but would have liked a bit more info about the driving modes from the start. It seems to me that Sport Mode prioritising it's 48 volt power towards adding some acceleration whilst ECO Mode prioritises the power towards the auto stop start. Normal mode gives a balance of the two. Clearly the modes are mapping the engine electronics towards performance and economy by possibly altering timings fuel mixture etc.

I've not had reason to use slippery or trail modes yet so am unsure what they are supposed to do.

When I slow down using engine braking, it is sometimes quite rapid, especially in sport mode and I've had vehicles almost run into the back of me on occasions. I'm wondering if the regen here is activating the stop lights as perhaps it ought to.

For me, a gauge showing me the charge state of the 48 volt battery would be of more use than the one we have as when I accelerate I have no way of knowing whether it is going to give me any extra electronic power or not.

If I get the 48 volt battery fully charged, does the braking regen still try to charge it or does it disable itself as I've noticed at times there seems to be less regen going on than others.

Another thing is that I have no idea what the likely lifespan of the 48 volt lithium-ion battery is.

Look forward to any comments, thoughts or hard info on this subject.

NeilS

Post by NeilS »

You ask an interesting question regarding whether the brake lights come on when the system slows the engine down when you lift your foot off the accelerator.

I was wondering this for a while myself for this and the adaptive cruise control - which slows you down according to the car in front, but does the car behind you know about it before it’s too late?
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

If the brake lights came on every time the regen kicked in you would look like one of those idiots that are constantly braking for the slightest corner, or, oncoming vehicle, or, anything else that frightens them.
If I thought mine were coming on that often, I'd find a way to disable it tout de suite.

animated-car-image-0082.gif

Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Deleted User 702

Post by Deleted User 702 »

There is an indicator on the right of the main digital display that has the electric boost icon with a line through it when the car cannot provide electric boost.
Last edited by Deleted User 702 on Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 702

Post by Deleted User 702 »

Screenshot_20210811-193250.png

DesertIslandBlue

Post by DesertIslandBlue »

When I bought mine the salesman quoted an eight year life for the 48v battery…
ST Line X mHEV 125 Desert Island Blue DAP+CP+HFPT
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

@Sparks.

Totally agree and a good point, but perhaps it should activate the lights if the braking is over (insert a suitable threshold here) perhaps?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

NeilS wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:59 pm @Sparks.

Totally agree and a good point, but perhaps it should activate the lights if the braking is over (insert a suitable threshold here) perhaps?
If your anti-collision is activated, I believe that the brake lights flash as you apply brakes to alert traffic to a possible emergency stop.....However, I've not been behind when it's supposed to happen so I can't confirm it..... ;) :D
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Definitely no brake lights when regening to slow.

Brake lights activated when slowing using adaptive cruise.

Brake lights and hazards activated in an emergency stop scenario.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Thank you 👍🏻