flappy paddles

All Ford Puma related discussions
asl3312

Post by asl3312 »

paulv wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 am I appreciate that many people on here love their cars and love interacting with their cars, and in over 40 years of driving I'm sure I was like that at some point

I bought an automatic with adaptive cruise control so that the car could do most of the driving for me, and to a great extent this works absolutely fine for me thanks

I was just wondering if by NOT using the M mode at all it might cause an issue with the gearbox? along the lines of if you don't use the air conditioning regularly it can cause issues with your air conditioning (assuming thats not an urban myth)...
I would not worry about that tbh.. it's not like the AC situation.. the AC stops working because the seals dry out and start to leak. If you run your car in auto mode, everything is still working as intended.. The clutches, gear actuators etc are all working exactly the same in auto as in manual mode except in manual you are telling the car when to change rather than it being done at the optimum time by the modules.
***NOW SOLD*** 2020 ST Line X 7DCT Auto 125PS - Magnetic Grey - DAP - LED - HFPT - Panoramic Roof - 19" Alloys

Mike

Post by Mike »

Each to their own, as i said i use them on the van(buttons not paddles) to change down when going down a hill instead of using the brakes so much. My transit displays the gear your in.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Deleted User 229

Post by Deleted User 229 »

Mike wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:04 pm Each to their own, as i said i use them on the van(buttons not paddles) to change down when going down a hill instead of using the brakes so much. My transit displays the gear your in.

My Titanium Auto has a L (Low) in place of the M (no paddles) exactly for that purpose.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

paulv wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 am I appreciate that many people on here love their cars and love interacting with their cars, and in over 40 years of driving I'm sure I was like that at some point

I bought an automatic with adaptive cruise control so that the car could do most of the driving for me, and to a great extent this works absolutely fine for me thanks

I was just wondering if by NOT using the M mode at all it might cause an issue with the gearbox? along the lines of if you don't use the air conditioning regularly it can cause issues with your air conditioning (assuming thats not an urban myth)...

The air con advice is correct I think. I was told to keep it on all the time otherwise the joints in the system eventually leak.

My wife’s KA is 11 years old and as yet hasn’t needed a re gas. She keeps it on.

I’ve probably just buggered it up now though, haven’t I?

I also keep mine on when I’m driving.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Never had mine turned off in any car for the last 15 years at least....Keeps the moisture out of the car in the winter, never get any interior condensation.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
jake52

Post by jake52 »

It does indicate the gear you are in, but like others I've accidentally used them and also found no need so far. If you are in Drive you can use them to override the automatic control but it will shortly revert back. I've tried Manual once but like the poster I got an auto so I wouldn't have to be manually changing gear. A controversial subject but the future for us all with electric.
kevmond

Post by kevmond »

I assume that so long as the gearbox cycles through all the gears the Autobox should be happy. No jamming solenoids or alike...
White ST with Performance pack.
Mike

Post by Mike »

no issue leaving it in d and using the paddles to override if needed, you can change between manual and auto whilst driving.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )