Metallic Engine Sound

All Ford Puma related discussions
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Are we talking 125 or 155 turbo? They are different. My 155 is quiet.

MarisCze

Post by MarisCze »

Author of this topic has 155 and is experiencing a rattle. I have 125 and I am experiencing it as well.
XOAdez

Post by XOAdez »

kevmond wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:07 pm I think its the wastegate butterfly chattering away.
Some rattle more than others. Its loose on the shaft to prevent soot build up & sticking.
They do it when the waste gate is in a mid position and the exhaust pulses through the turbo cause the noise.

The old 1.0 Fox engine was terrible for this sound, believe it or not the Fox Upgrade fitted to Puma is much better.
My colleague has a Puma and I listened to hers and it's quiet, just engine. Mine seems to be getting worse. Yesterday it was quite loud (Maybe because I had the passenger window open) as I was pulling away at low revs (cold engine), tho it remains even once it's warmed up, a little quieter but still noticeable.

Is this something that needs looking at or will It be okay? As I say it was this way when I got it from the dealership with 4 miles on the clock. Its noticeable when I blip the throttle to 1.5-2k.

Thanks for your replies guys. 😀
MarisCze

Post by MarisCze »

Do you know what is strange? I have found service bulletin for F-150 2017+ About installing sprint kit to prevent the wastegate from chattering. I know it is 3.5 ecoboost, but it seems that wastegate chattering is known problem atleast for US folks. And it is indeed funny because at first they were told it is normal sound… I wonder if Ford will start to solve this problem for ecoboost engines that suffer from wastegate play…