My first really long drive

All Ford Puma related discussions
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

asl3312 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:53 pm
MagneticGrey wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:29 pm
asl3312 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:08 pm

Ouch.. that's pretty high.. one of the downsides of a small capacity engine
I'm interested to know how good a job the automatic box does of selecting the right gear. The gear change indicator in the manual versions seems to want you to labour the engine, so I ignore it :)
This is the first DCT I have driven so I have nothing to judge it against, but in my opinion the gear selection is pretty good with minimal labouring of the engine tbf. The power delivery is really smooth too and obviously without the clutch you can keep your foot planted if necessary. I find myself just tickling the throttle when driving around town, not much is needed once on the move and up to speed. In sport mode it holds on to the gears longer, and you always have the option of changing up or down the box with the paddles too, although this is temporary in 'drive' and it will change again to what it thinks is best soon after. It needs to be in 'manual' for the driver to be in complete control.
Thanks asl3312 and FirstFord1972 for comments on the DCT box, it sounds like a good system. I will probably test drive one when I am next looking to change my car in a couple of years.
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)