Get oil changed at 1 year old or not?

All Ford Puma related discussions
STer

Post by STer »

JFDIT wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:38 pm Modern synthetic oils are good for 50,000 miles so you're wasting your money following 60s servicing routines. When did you last whip off the cylinder head for a quick de-coke?
You may be correct, but looking at most oils after 10k miles, they look a lot darker than the beautiful 'wee' look they give when fresh.
Of course someone could do an oil analysis but I would hazard a guess that a 10K oil wouldn't be in no where near as good shape as a fresh oil. Like I said, just a guess.

Deleted User 702

Post by Deleted User 702 »

Oil may not look as clean at 10k as it did when fresh but it works as well. Look at the service intervals Ford Vans have! And they really get hammered with high milage and abuse having to work for a living, unlike a pampered car. Consider the lifespan of a modern spark plug compared to the olden days. Not sure what it is on a Ford now but my BMW was over 50k miles without being removed unless they failed. Which they didn't.
Clearly your choice if you want your oil to look nice, but really just a waste of money and resources.
STer

Post by STer »

JFDIT wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:51 pm Oil may not look as clean at 10k as it did when fresh but it works as well. Look at the service intervals Ford Vans have! And they really get hammered with high milage and abuse having to work for a living, unlike a pampered car. Consider the lifespan of a modern spark plug compared to the olden days. Not sure what it is on a Ford now but my BMW was over 50k miles without being removed unless they failed. Which they didn't.
Clearly your choice if you want your oil to look nice, but really just a waste of money and resources.
Hi,
Have you got an accredited sources which clearly and maybe scientifically show that oil at 10K works 'as well' as it did when fresh? I presume the moisture content too would be a factor, 10,000 miles on, compared to totally fresh., plus the type of mileage undertaken by the owner (short/long runs etc). I'm just struggling to see how oil at 10,000 miles works 'as well' as fresh oil just entering the oil cap.

Thanks
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Why are we worried about oil @10k miles. Ford say 2yrs or 18k.... Or 1yr 12.5k for an ST. Their engine, their warranty.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Alan321 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:15 am Thanks guys,
I'll probably keep the car for 2-3 years, but might change my mind at any time lol.
My local Ford dealer quoted £105 for an oil change, £180 for 2nd year service, £280 for 4th year service.
What's with the pre-paid 12 month check or convenience check?
Ford had ? A deal on for £239 you get your first year convenience check and Ford assist renewal and the your 2nd year service inc brake fluid change.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Mike

Post by Mike »

My last van got an oil change every 30k and changed it at 130 000 miles, went well and used no oil. Oils have all sorts of additives in now, engines are made from different materials and as long as your not doing loads of runs where the engine doesn’t get up to temp or thrashing it from cold you shouldn’t have an issue.
Each to there own though, if you feel it is beneficial to change the oil yearly do it.

I had 2 mercs each with 200k on them and no issue with oil on them either.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
m@kro

Post by m@kro »

Good evening to all. I personally did an oil change and oil filter at 3000 km. from the factory the engine had Castrol inside. I took them out and put Moly liqui.
I will generally change the oil every 7500 km. I do not like to keep the engine oil above these kilometers.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

m@kro wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:27 pm Good evening to all. I personally did an oil change and oil filter at 3000 km. from the factory the engine had Castrol inside. I took them out and put Moly liqui.
I will generally change the oil every 7500 km. I do not like to keep the engine oil above these kilometers.
Like and need are two different things. If it makes you feel better then change the oil, it will still be a waste of money, but, you will feel good.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
m@kro

Post by m@kro »

Yes I know I owe my pocket but I have a cleaner engine. I do not like to leave so many kilometers of oil in the engine.
STer

Post by STer »

It probably is a case of to each their own, as many posts have alluded to.
As stated, if I had a 'finance car' which was going to be dumped back after 3 or so years, I too would simply go by the minimum.
Speaking of which, I always find it interesting when such arguments are argued with phrases such as a waste of money and resources....yet many people happily dispose a complete, previously new car after 3 years ,when there's nothing at all wrong with it.