Get oil changed at 1 year old or not?

All Ford Puma related discussions
Deleted User 702

Post by Deleted User 702 »

Rarely would a 3 year old car be "disposed of" rather sold onto someone who chooses a second hand vehicle over new for whatever reason. This approach can often be a financially astute approach to maintaining new car ownership.

STer

Post by STer »

JFDIT wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 am Rarely would a 3 year old car be "disposed of" rather sold onto someone who chooses a second hand vehicle over new for whatever reason. This approach can often be a financially astute approach to maintaining new car ownership.
And many of the conversations regarding oil changes were concerning resources and (as an aside) eco care. Does a person really need a new car every three years, with the environmental impact and resources that uses, especially if at the time where was absolutely nothing wrong with it? A guess is that people get bored and hand back their possibly perfectly fine car (not the best use environmentally or world resource wise), or, just as likely, are tied into a 'finance' package and can't afford the balloon payment, hence get a new car by default.
I've no issue personally whether people change their car every three weeks if they wish- one pays their money (or one borrows someone else's money), one makes their choices. However, whether an argument for changing the oil at one year and not at year two is a waste of money and resources is valid in light of one dumping off their car after 3 or so years, even if it never missed a beat, to acquire another one manufactured (which itself could prove to not be as reliable as the one they just dumped back) . Even more so when no evidence, presented thus far, has shown that oil at 10K works 'as well' as it did when fresh? '
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

1. Why pay the balloon on the fastest depreciating asset available.

2. Moving your car on after 3 yrs supplies the 2nd hand market for those that a. Can't or b. Won't buy a brand new car for reason 1 above.

I'm tied into a finance package because I can afford to, but have no interest in shouldering depreciation and the hassle that comes down the line.

Back to oil changes.....๐Ÿ˜„
STer

Post by STer »

Wdf76 wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:26 am 1. Why pay the balloon on the fastest depreciating asset available.

2. Moving your car on after 3 yrs supplies the 2nd hand market for those that a. Can't or b. Won't buy a brand new car for reason 1 above.

I'm tied into a finance package because I can afford to, but have no interest in shouldering depreciation and the hassle that comes down the line.

Back to oil changes.....๐Ÿ˜„
My MX-5 ND is not doing bad with being a paid for 'deprecating asset' at the moment. I got it 5.5K off as a 3 miles, 10 day 'old' cash pre reg, and even webuy are offering just ยฃ900 less than what I bought it for 2.8 years ago! I reckon I'd break even selling privately. Mind you, it would be another car which I (was going to) consider replacing for a Puma ST. The ND's going nowhere.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Agreed. There are exceptions. I had an NC which was someones Sunday car. I had it for 2 yrs, sold it (and cried) for not a lot less than what I paid for it. Probably the best car I ever owned but totally impractical as a daily, one car household, which we were at the time. I would happily have an ND now.
STer

Post by STer »

Wdf76 wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:17 pm Agreed. There are exceptions. I had an NC which was someones Sunday car. I had it for 2 yrs, sold it (and cried) for not a lot less than what I paid for it. Probably the best car I ever owned but totally impractical as a daily, one car household, which we were at the time. I would happily have an ND now.
I won't elaborate as not to deride the thread, but if you were in the position to consider buying one, and we were all still hanging around, and you wanted to know a users opinion/what to look out for with the ND etc, feel free to PM
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Thank you. ๐Ÿ‘
Bigal

Post by Bigal »

BMW is 19000 miles or 2years . If thatโ€™s what bmw engineers decide who Iโ€™m I to argue ๐Ÿ˜„
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Modern oils are synthetic and last for ages. I won't be bothering at around 6k on the clock in October. I don't need the second year Ford breakdown as Ford Direct cars come with two years full breakdown cover.

However if they offer me a convenience check at a decent price I might just have it and look at it as a pre-winter check.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

Stoopo wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:02 pm Modern oils are synthetic and last for ages. I won't be bothering at around 6k on the clock in October. I don't need the second year Ford breakdown as Ford Direct cars come with two years full breakdown cover.

However if they offer me a convenience check at a decent price I might just have it and look at it as a pre-winter check.
Having read this thread along with several others, I have come to the same conclusion. My annual mileage seems to be circa 10k to 12k so I may end up just going over 18k miles, but I'm sure it will be fine. My first service at 2 years is going to be free anyway as they gave me this as compensation for the missing sports pedals.