Possible new owner, reassurance needed!

All Ford Puma related discussions
182_blue

Post by 182_blue »

Thanks folks, very reassuring to hear some good news about the Puma.

microbe

Post by microbe »

I collected mine just over 9 months ago and have had no problems other than my wife struggling to use the passenger door mirror when driving. She is only 5ft and could not get the mirror in a good position. Fortunately my dealer fixed it by removing a couple of lugs so that the mirror could move further.
Puma ST-Line X 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Desert Island Blue 2021
Deleted User 135

Post by Deleted User 135 »

It is great to hear reassuring things about the puma,after so many battery horror stories among other things
NFFC

Post by NFFC »

Loving the Puma (12 months old ) only issue on daughters was App saying low battery. But no problem with car starting. Wife’s car no issue as yet ( 6 months old )
Order it and enjoy :D
Ford Puma ST Line Red 125bhp
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Mine was so bad with poor quality control and flat battery issues I've just sold it. Yes, my 6 month old car wouldn't start after a 500 mile trip. Dealer couldn't find any fault.
Regrettably, I'll never buy another Ford. You decide.
Caveat Emptor.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:04 pm Mine was so bad with poor quality control and flat battery issues I've just sold it. Yes, my 6 month old car wouldn't start after a 500 mile trip. Dealer couldn't find any fault.
Regrettably, I'll never buy another Ford. You decide.
Caveat Emptor.
I hope you have a better experience than this XC40 - https://www.xc40forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2016
Had you read his experience, would you have gone Volvo?
Just shows, that it's not always advisable to go with one rotten egg report on a forum maybe... ;)
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@Sparks, you suggest I'm the only one with battery and poor quality control issues Anyone wishing to trawl through past posts will see I'm not the only one on this forum with a "Rotten Egg".
Regards the Volvo, it's not mine, I can return it within the first 30 days without penalty. After that I can replace or return it with 12 weeks notice. No argument, or even reason required.
So for the relationship with Volvo to continue the customer must remain happy. Unlike purchasing a vehicle where the dealership and manufacturer are only interested in the sale. As it happens I had a good Ford dealership, but there are some stories on this forum that prove many weren't so lucky.

Anyway, I'm not banging a drum for Volvo or how to source your vehicle. The point IS (disregarding the quality control issues) some Ford Pumas definitely have serious Battery/Charging issues beyond an annoying message on the App. Maybe more of you, or possibly even Ford, will have acknowledge this if we get a hard winter or you stopped trickle charging your batteries!
Caveat Emptor
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Sorry you’ve had such a bad experience. I’ve also had battery issues but it’s never failed to start. My annoyance was the fact it went into sleep mode and repeatedly did it over a few days.

A new Varta appears to have sorted things but time will tell.

As for your point about the winter - surely this model has now been through at least one winter without masses of them failing to start - otherwise surely we would have heard about it. Maybe not a hard winter. Even then we have a three year battery warranty to fall back on.

Other niggles were a couple of paint runs on my back door. Sorted straight away by Lawton’s. I also noticed the lower door seal had come away when I washed it this week. It seems to have clipped back on OK though but I’ll keep checking it (the focus was awful with door seals)

The car is the best driving car I’ve had for ages. I love it. The niggles are a pain at times but I feel my dealership has my back.

Now I have a new battery and a free first service I’ll be keeping it until that point at least.

The quality control appears to be an issue - as it seems to be with many makes of car at the moment. I bet you can go on any forum and find a horror story.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@Stoopo, my new Varta battery was holding up well, until the last long run. I believe the Varta was stronger than the Rombat and held a charge ok on short runs. But in my case I know that at some point in the 200 mile trip home and on the 200 mile trip away it stopped charging properly. Possibly I have more severe issue than you, or my usage profile differs enough to kill the battery, even the Varta. I expect Ford knows but won't say.

Good luck everyone with your particular Pride and Joy and anyone that buys any new car during this period of car production carnage.

One last snippet of information for anyone who currently has a factory build Ford on order - my dealer told me that various electronically controlled items and functions on the build sheet may be removed to reduce the need for some of the semiconductors, allowing the build to progress. Therefore you may not get what you ordered, hopefully Ford will advise you in advance of delivery like they did with the removal of Rear Discs, Sports Pedals and Sill Protectors. And before anyone says it I'm sure you'll find the story is the same for all manufacturers.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

JFDIT wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:57 am @Sparks, you suggest I'm the only one with battery and poor quality control issues Anyone wishing to trawl through past posts will see I'm not the only one on this forum with a "Rotten Egg".
I'm not sure that if I trawl through the forum I'll find many (if any) others who had the issue you had and were left at the side of the road.
Don't get me wrong, if I'd had the same experience as you, I would probably have rejected the car and found another manufacturer.
Good luck for the future, hopefully you've had your share of bad luck....
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.