Should I order full led or not

All Ford Puma related discussions
DesertIslandBlue

Post by DesertIslandBlue »

Wdf76 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:00 am
DesertIslandBlue wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:18 am I don't have the full LED and the halogen main beam are absolute pants!
Didn't know there was an led/halogen headlamp. Are your dipped projector halogen?
Projector LED for dipped and H1 halogen for main beam.
ST Line X mHEV 125 Desert Island Blue DAP+CP+HFPT

PaulD

Post by PaulD »

i have the full led package , with automatic hi beam it's awsome
Ford Puma St-Line X first edition full options
..... Desert Island Blue.....
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

DesertIslandBlue wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:18 am Projector LED for dipped and H1 halogen for main beam.
I've never heard of them. Do you have a manual headlamp leveling function on your light switch?
DesertIslandBlue

Wdf76 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:53 pm
DesertIslandBlue wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:18 am Projector LED for dipped and H1 halogen for main beam.
I've never heard of them. Do you have a manual headlamp leveling function on your light switch?
Yes, manual levelling and auto high beam. Check out “changing a bulb” in the maintenance section of the manual (there’s a link to the bulb specs in this section too).
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Thanks. Thought the projectors were halogens too. Have you considered upgrading your main beams. Night breaker + etc. I used to fit all my previous cars with these.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

So the basic lamp is the projector type. I take it that’s Halogen high beam and LED low beam. The low beam does seem very bright when I’m on my drive.

Not had much chance to test them yet as the only night drive I took was last week about 9pm in horrendous rain. Heading west too so it wasn’t completely dark at that time - so the auto lights only came on due to the rain.

Anyone else think they are rubbish!
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I always thought that the dipped beam on the projector headlamp was halogen. I was wrong, purely because I saw the manual leveling switch on the headlamp dial. I always thought that LEDs had to have auto levelling. I think this was mandatory for xenon/hid lamps. We've obviously moved on. Just seems daft to me that your main beam is less effective than dipped. Thanks goes to desertislandblue.
DesertIslandBlue

Wdf76 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:22 pm Thanks. Thought the projectors were halogens too. Have you considered upgrading your main beams. Night breaker + etc. I used to fit all my previous cars with these.
I had thought about upgrading the main beam bulbs but had read that it was necessary to remove the headlights to get at the bulbs? To be honest I am very happy with the general performance of the dipped beam and delivers excellent illumination. For the effort involved in changing the halogens seems a little pointless. I would however choose full LED if an option on a future vehicle. Surprised (not!) at Ford cost cutting when so many other manufacturers fit them as standard. :roll:

Also read the law has recently changed that applies to retrofitted HID or LED bulbs - this would now be a MOT failure if the car was not originally fitted with them… Special Notice 01/21.

The manual said: “Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high-intensity discharge (HID) or light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs.
“If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Quick question on the beams. Does the dipped beam stay on when you put high beam on?

I suppose I should get off my butt and check. It’s raining though ;-)
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
DesertIslandBlue

Stoopo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:49 pm Quick question on the beams. Does the dipped beam stay on when you put high beam on?

I suppose I should get off my butt and check. It’s raining though ;-)
Yes that’s correct dipped stays on. My point was that there’s very little extra light with the main beam on and appears dim compared to the bright white of the LEDs.

Hope that helps?

BTW auto high beam works a treat for me.