So disappointed

New to the Ford Puma Forums? Introduce yourself here
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Wdf76 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:12 am
Sparks wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:57 am My view is that it being built in Romania has a lot to do with it.
Why?
Because Dacia got all the good car workers and Ford had what was left...
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.

PaulD

Post by PaulD »

We’ve got 3 other cars in the family, some of which have only been driven 2-3 times during the last year for short to the shops trips, and they have had no trouble.

OK but are they mild hibrids too ? , it,s the hibrid parts that is the problem.
Ford Puma St-Line X first edition full options
..... Desert Island Blue.....
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

You have missed my point unfortunately, as it (my point) is not to do with hybrid v non hybrid, but more so that Ford shouldn’t be using lack of use as an cause/excuse.

If indeed the reason why some are experiencing problems with their mild hybrids is due to lack of or little use, it is a design/build/advertising fault by Ford as it has not been build/designed to be fit for purpose. Ford should have factored in the many variables in usage for their target market. Owners should not be restricted on how they use (not abuse) their car unless this was made clear to them prior to purchase.

Nowhere in the brochure, printed anywhere or mentioned verbally during the process of buying was I (I’d even be bold to say was anyone) told “Oh by the way, if you only drive short trips or don’t use it very much, you’ll have problems” or “You’ll be fine if you drive hundreds of miles a day”

I will stand by my belief that a modern day cars reliability built with so called advanced technology should depend on someone being told that it needs to be driven every X number of miles, X number of days or else it’ll have problems. Modern cars should be an improvement and advancement on technology, not a hindrance.

I don’t know anywhere near enough about engines, hybrid or otherwise to be able to comment other than from what I expect as an owner of a reasonably pricey car.

I’d be interested to know if this is a common issue with other manufacturers of hybrids, from your every day car, to Range Rovers, Porsches, right up to your super/hyper cars who drive very infrequently (and the rest of the time stored away in a posh garage) and if their owners would be happy with this level of unreliability.

Again, I don’t know if lack of use is indeed the cause of all/any of these problem. If it is then Ford need to come up with a fix, and us being told to go out and drive aimlessly, adding mileage, reducing value, costing fuel and risking an accident is certainly not the solution.

These are just my views, I appreciate others may not agree.
Last edited by NeilS on Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I agree completely.
I'm not sure it's a 'Hybrid' problem as there is some evidence that changing the 12v battery fixes the sleep problem without having to drive miles.
Is it Ford or the dealers that are saying 'You need to drive longer distances'? Either way, you are right, it's up to them to fix it.
I'll see later today if my dealer has any answers.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

My only contact/conversations regarding my ‘Charging system, service now” message was with the franchised dealership. I haven’t spoken to Ford UK (or whatever their official name is). As far as I’m concerned the dealership represents Ford, especially whilst still under warranty as that’s who is paying them to rectify issues.

When I called the service booking department to get it booked in I did ask the rep if she was aware of this fault being reported by others but she said she only books cars in on the system so wasn’t placed to give an opinion. I’m sure she’d know if she had booked cars in for the same - I wasn’t asking her for a diagnosis, just a simple yes or no 😆.

The service reception agent who took the key on arrival asked me to confirm the symptoms fully for the work sheet but didn’t comment on causes - fair enough.

Another service agent (could have been a manager) then popped out from an office (I’m assuming he overheard) and it was him who said about it not being driven enough - that was our short lived conversation based on my opinions already mentioned.

When I collected it, I spoke with a technician. He didn’t mention anything other than the fault had been an earthing issue in the headlight. I happily accepted this explanation as I had no basis to say otherwise.

Ford must be able to build a database or picture of faults against usage etc to see if there is a trend?
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I'd like to see a voltage/power usage display on Ford Pass and in the car (on sync). Something useful so you can actually determine power usage over time.

They can tell you fuel remaining, oil quality, even the amount of air in your tyres, so why not how much juice is left in your battery(s).
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Wdf76 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:51 am I'd like to see a voltage/power usage display on Ford Pass and in the car (on sync). Something useful so you can actually determine power usage over time.

They can tell you fuel remaining, oil quality, even the amount of air in your tyres, so why not how much juice is left in your battery(s).
Yes, that does seem to be something they could easily implement.
Are these any good?? https://www.amazon.co.uk/12V-24V-Cigare ... 9NWJ&psc=1
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Well, just got off the phone with the dealer, they want to keep it in overnight to trickle charge the battery....I said, that I didn't hold out much hope and others have had problems, but, it soon became evident that he had no idea as it wasn't him working on the car.
I know they only looked at it for about 20 minutes as the the time between the app reporting when it went into sleep (after they drove it into the workshop) and the phone call.
I'll go along with the charade until the battery runs down again and then try to insist on a battery change.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Sparks, i have something similar to your ebay item except it's a 3 in 1, voltage, temperature and usb connection. Works in cigarette lighter socket which as you know is not live without ignition on so you can't get a reading without powering up the socket. Not quite the same as a direct battery terminal check. Hope all this gobbledygook makes sense.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Rizmo wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:37 pm Sparks, i have something similar to your ebay item except it's a 3 in 1, voltage, temperature and usb connection. Works in cigarette lighter socket which as you know is not live without ignition on so you can't get a reading without powering up the socket. Not quite the same as a direct battery terminal check. Hope all this gobbledygook makes sense.
I guess that answers the question....Thanks.