New user checking in.

New to the Ford Puma Forums? Introduce yourself here
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Hi all,

Thought it was time to finally join the party. Confession time first though and apologies for the long post but I thought I’d get it all done in one hit.

I’ve been a Puma owner and lurker of the site since July last year and have been following the various discussions and soaking up all the information. I don’t use social media such as FB, Twitter, forums etc and wasn’t sure if I could contribute anything useful. I decided to jump in as I thought it unfair to use the resource without at least showing my appreciation (and probably chipping in where I’m not wanted).

Anyho, what can I tell you about how I ended up with a Puma?

Long story short, I initially bought a new ST Line Ecosport back in Feb last year not even realising the new Puma was out, but the dealership managed to mess up delivering the correct spec, twice, yes twice! The first one at the end of Feb and the second one in June. I rejected both and got my deposit back. The sales person was fantastic, the sales manager not so :roll:

I found a 6 month old Ecosport at another Ford dealership, popped down to look at it, saw the Puma and one thing (and several £££££ later) ordered a new one from their stock. It’s the 6 speed manual 125 ST Line X First Edition in magnetic, with power operated boot, panoramic roof, DAP, fixed LED headlamps and 19” alloys. The only thing I couldn’t get in the package was the comfort pack. There was loads of options but nothing that had it all, not without ordering a new build without the incentives being offered.

I took delivery at the end of July and have covered 1700miles or so.

As with all of us, usage has been sporadic during the lockdown and I haven’t really got to know it yet.

Only had a couple of teething problems early on which were rectified straight away by the dealer - a cover was missing from one of the nuts on the offside wiper blade and the scuttle panel had scuff marks from where it had been fitted.

Reading through all of the posts I was quietly thinking how fortunate I’ve been not to suffer from some of the horror stories I’ve read, that was until a couple of weeks ago!

The Puma had sat quietly for over a month during the cold/snow and gone into deep sleep. I decided it was time to give it a run on a legal essential journey. It started first time and ran perfectly on a two hour round trip with no issues, turning the engine off twice, once for fuel and the other when we parked up. I was about 5 mins from home, stopped to let someone out and as normal, the engine stopped. I went to pull away and nothing! I pressed the stop/start button and it started again and I was met with the “charging system service now” fault and the battery light stayed on.

Got home tentatively, turned the engine off and then on again - same warning. Switched it off, left an hour and restarted and no warnings.

Booked it in for today and left it alone until I had to. Went in armed with everything I’d read on here and mentioned the known battery issues. I was advised that short journeys to the shops etc or not driving it enough may be a contributing factor and the cause (despite my lengthy journey prior to the error). I politely dismissed that my driving habits caused this and that I should be able to drive my car as and when I want and at what distance or else it wouldn’t be fit for purpose and should have been advertised as such.

A few hours later I got a call to collect it, all fixed. Apparently they found an earthing fault on one of the headlamps which was checked, cleaned and reconnected. I have no idea if I was fobbed off or if it was genuine. Either way, it’s now on the service record so if it happens again I can at least argue the case that this earthing problem may not have been the cause but just a coincidence.

I was also told about the recall for the OBD cover when I booked it, but they are waiting on delivery of stock so it’ll have to go back in again. I hadn’t been contacted by anyone about the recall and wonder how long it would have taken to be notified if I hadn’t have had reason to call them.

Once again, sorry for the waffle.

Now for the only reason you’ve got this far.......

CD4A8A1E-BB18-42D0-AA1B-C7118A99C795.jpeg

Cheers

Neil
Last edited by NeilS on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Your car looks smart, that was my preferred colour but had to settle for solar silver which is also very nice. Ford must be the first manufacturer to fit an OBD cover, Can't think why one is needed unless it's a dust problem.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Hi, Welcome.
Nice looking Puma.
I'll be booking mine in soon for the 'Deep sleep' problem. Hopefully, I can secure a new battery from the dealer, but, not counting chickens yet.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Hiya, good on ya for taking the plunge and joining in, great post.

The dealer telling you they found a bad bond on a headlamp is quite plausible and could well affect more of our cars with charging issues. Who knows..,.

Magnetic is Fords best colour, if I wasn't so impatient (re tight) last year I'd have held out for that colour.
robgee

Post by robgee »

Hi and welcome, that’s a great introduction. I went from an Ecosport and I would say you made the right decision with the Puma as I feel it’s a better drive and a much better looking car. There have been a few niggles on the way but nothing too major and if They sorted the software issues out and some of the early build quality issues we would have nothing to moan about :) I am struggling to put any miles on mine and haven’t put 3000 on it in a year yet but hopefully that will change.
Ford Puma 125 ST-Line X FIRST EDITION Desert Island Blue (previous)
Ford Puma 155 ST-Line X Blazer Blue (current)
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

Welcome to the Puma Family. Nice colour and looking very clean in this weather.

I do hope they don't expect you to book your car in just to fit an ODB cover :roll:
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Thanks for the warm welcome and comments.

I’m really pleased with my colour as this was the same choice I made with the Ecosport. I hadn’t ruled out Frozen white or Solar silver for the Puma but had my heart set on Magnetic.

One of my past times (bordering on obsession) is car cleaning/valeting, often happily spending 4-5 hours just on the outside depending on condition and weather, sometimes having to tackle the inside on another day. It’s not just the Puma that gets treated to this care, but other cars in the family. I’ve been thinking about starting a cleaning/valeting service but we’re in very uncertain times. Fortunately I have a lovely understanding wife :D

I know I made the right choice with the Puma but still have a soft spot for the Ecosport whenever I see one - just something about it.

Unfortunately the service dept stated that I would need to bring the car in to have the OBD cover installed to comply with the warranty, but did stress it would be a drive in, fit and drive away process.

Thanks.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Yay another detailer. Feel free to share your tips.

I'm waiting patiently for the weather to change and I can set about sorting my frozen white out.

I haven't had a white car for a while so it's gonna need a full decontamination and no doubt the da polisher will have to come out.

Like you, I can spend hours outside polishing or coating. Usually in the evening when the sun is on its way down with a few tins and tunes.

I do family and mates cars for rum or beer 😁 as a bit of a hobby I suppose. I wouldn't make any money if I did it as a business. I'm too picky.
Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

Welcome to the forum, lovely looking Puma that I’m sure you’ll enjoy

I’ve never understood spending hours cleaning a car. All my cars have been lucky to get 2 quick washes a year despite me regularly doing 100 miles a day for 30 odd years
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Wdf76 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:10 am Yay another detailer. Feel free to share your tips.

I'm waiting patiently for the weather to change and I can set about sorting my frozen white out.

I haven't had a white car for a while so it's gonna need a full decontamination and no doubt the da polisher will have to come out.

Like you, I can spend hours outside polishing or coating. Usually in the evening when the sun is on its way down with a few tins and tunes.

I do family and mates cars for rum or beer 😁 as a bit of a hobby I suppose. I wouldn't make any money if I did it as a business. I'm too picky.
There are plenty of us out there, hiding amongst the more normal people ;)

I think you’re right regarding earning potential or lack of. I’m no where near (or would I ever claim to be) detailer level and I spend too long on decon/maintenance washes to be able to clean the volume of cars needed to make it viable full time. I guess it would require a strong business head to set apart the process on a customers car to our own.

Like you, I take pleasure in looking after family and friends cars, sometimes the odd word of mouth type job which I suppose is a good way to get a customer base but there’s a big jump between a hobby / “odd job” to running a business.