New user checking in.

New to the Ford Puma Forums? Introduce yourself here
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

tonyt2021 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 am Welcome to the forum, lovely looking Puma that I’m sure you’ll enjoy

I’ve never understood spending hours cleaning a car. All my cars have been lucky to get 2 quick washes a year despite me regularly doing 100 miles a day for 30 odd years
That’s what makes the world a wonderful place. It takes all sorts.

Everyone views their cars/possessions in different ways and life/work dictates that. I get it. I sometimes wish I wasn’t so OCD with cars. My days would be so much easier :D
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,

PaulD

Post by PaulD »

Hee Neil , welcome to our forum .
my take on it is every Puma owner has his/hers type off OCD.
And you don,t have to be crazy to join this forum , but it does help .
Ford Puma St-Line X first edition full options
..... Desert Island Blue.....
alanp

Post by alanp »

Welcome Niel from me too, I have the same colour as you and I too think it’s one of the best colours although I think the Puma carries off any colour, it’s just that type of car that looks good whatever it’s painted in, btw, I like your alloys, very smart,
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Cheers guys, appreciate it :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

H Neil , I joined recently after collecting my car in December , unfortunately all the 1st editions were gone when I took the plunge. There are loads of very helpful/ knowledgeable people on here. I also like my car clean and am very protective over them just need to figure out the best way to keep my black one looking good apart from not using it and covering it in a cover so if you have any tips.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Mike wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:55 pm I also like my car clean and am very protective over them just need to figure out the best way to keep my black one looking good apart from not using it and covering it in a cover so if you have any tips.
Hi Mike,
I’ve always looked after my cars, regardless of cost...don’t think I’ll ever change. I get a little over protective too..... :)

Unfortunately there’s no real way to stop a car getting dusty/dirty even if you don’t drive it (unless it’s kept in a controlled environment of course) regardless of the weather. For example, the summer brings dust, bugs, potential water spotting and bird poo. Winter brings road grime, salt, mud, rain, bird poo (again) etc.

Preparation and technique is important ranging from not inflicting unnecessary marring during contact washing/drying to laying some form of protection down. Whilst it won’t stop the car getting dirty, it will make cleaning that much quicker and easier next time especially if you top up the protection in between (with a quick detailer for example).

Black can be one of most rewarding, if not challenging colours to keep clean.

As I’m still finding out, it’s a minefield out there product wise and I’m not qualified enough to pass judgement :D

Cheers.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Mike wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:55 pm H Neil , I joined recently after collecting my car in December , unfortunately all the 1st editions were gone when I took the plunge. There are loads of very helpful/ knowledgeable people on here. I also like my car clean and am very protective over them just need to figure out the best way to keep my black one looking good apart from not using it and covering it in a cover so if you have any tips.
Decontamination and protection are your two best friends with a black car Mike. Both black and white are the two hardest colours to keep on top of.

If you wanna get serious you need a clay bar at the very least. I made a post about using autoglym Magma to remove bonded iron particles. Our cars came by train, you'll be surprised at what is stuck to your paint work. The smoother your paint the shinier your finish will be. Run your hand over your paint after washing. It should be as smooth as glass.

Use a sealant first to protect, this bonds to clean paint and provides a protective layer, wax on top of this if you wish.

I've used autoglym and meguairs for years. Turtle Wax now do some fantastic products for their price point, bilt hambler too. It's not always the product or its cost that gets the best results but the method and application that counts.

Remember there's only so much you can do to a daily driver and you will get marks and dings and defects (I've had two door dings pulled out already)).

I ain't no pro, just an enthusiastic amateur 😁
Last edited by Wdf76 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Absolutely top advice.

I also have Autoglym and Bilt Hamber in my collection. After reading/watching some reviews I’m currently trying out DetailedOnline products which I’ve been impressed with so far.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Here's a link to a thread we made sometime back. My Puma was fairly new as supplied, however the paint finish was poor.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=158&hilit=Magma
Pawprint66

Post by Pawprint66 »

Welcome Neil. Great post this guys. Have enjoyed reading it. Not been on the forum for a few days, just catching up now.
2020 Puma ST - Line X First Edition - 125 mHEV - Race Red - (Released back into the wild)
2023 Puma ST - Frozen White - Driver Assistance Pack & Powered Tailgate - Machined Magnetite Wheels