First impressions - 155 St Line X First Edition

New to the Ford Puma Forums? Introduce yourself here
DaveTK1

Post by DaveTK1 »

Hi

I'm Dave and I live in the North West of England.

The car was due for delivery on 30 March but due to the dealers closing it only arrived at the end of June - the good news is that I wasn't paying anything monthly whilst it was stuck in the car pound.

I changed my employment status a while ago so wanted something smaller and less costly on the lease, the fuel and the insurance than my BMW 335D.

We've had a family 125 Ecoboost BMax for 7 years - now with 82000 miles on the clock that pretty much feels like new so I was keen to go for a petrol car and the three cylinder Ecoboost engine was definitely an option. Whilst its not very scientific (we just glance at the reading on the dash every now and again), the B Max tends to average about 48mpg. The broker recommended looking at the Puma back in January and to be honest I didn't know anything about it. The (mild) hybrid option seemed like a good thing to have on my new car.

I'm still taking it easy but overall I really like it even though it has about half the bhp of the 335D.

So far its averaging about 44mpg but on one run of about 60 miles I managed to get 58mpg - but this was nearly all motorway, some of which had road works meaning 50 miles an hour max.

The Puma is full of clever features and it looks really funky and gets some admiring glances in Agate Black.

A few issues that I'd appreciate views on if possible please:-

The standard Sat Nav doesn't seem that great. The first day I used it I ended up about a full mile (on the road, not as the crow flies) from the destination in a dead end where the address bore no relationship to where I was supposed to be going). This isn't the only time I've had issues with it either. Ive now got Android Auto for the Google Maps and Waze but has anyone else experienced this kind of problem, please?

The First Edition of course comes with the Driver Assistance pack. The Pre Collison Assist seems a bit "fierce" in situations where (to me at least) there seems to be absolutely no chance of my hitting another vehicle but there a good chance of me being hit up the rear when it slams the brakes on! One example is where I'm following a car which is turning right at a mini roundabout - nothing coming towards us and nothing coming from the right as the car in front of me has right of way so no reason for them to stop, but the brakes get applied in my car and the warning flashes on the dash. Maybe I just need to learn to hang back more to cope with the system but genuinely I don't think I'm too close or there is any chance of a collision.

And the final observation. This is my first experience of Active Cruise Control which I really liked the idea of. For years I've (successfully) used (non Active) cruise control in built up areas so I don't need to keep checking my speed and can keep a better eye open for kids, pedestrians and cyclists etc. The Active cruise seems to have a quirk where the road bends to the right and there are cars parked near the kerb on the left - it seems to "see" them and thinks a. they've stopped (which technically I suppose they have!) and b. I'm going to hit them (which I'm not going to) but it just applies the brakes, again like the Pre Collision thing, quite fiercely in my opinion). There doesn't seem to be any way of making it non Active, either. Its a problem when I've never had a problem in any of my other cars with cruise control in the same locations.

Sorry to drone on. As I'm new to the Forum I hope I'm OK posting all of this in the Introductions bit - if its not , no doubt someone will let me know.

I'm looking forward to interacting with the members of the Forum.

All the best,

Dave

Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

Quite agree with the pre-collision. I’ve changed the sensitivity, but cars turning still throws a wobble when they’re clearly out of the way.

Intelligent cruise control is good, but have it to be hit and miss on major motorways picking up stray speed boards, there is a software issue with the camera which does have a fix (mine being done now). I probably wouldn’t use cruise/limiter on A roads due to picking up stationary cars.

The active collision assist appeared to kick in whilst performing an overtake, felt like it helped with the steering when I floored it to get passed a slow car.

Enjoy your car, good colour choice. I’m now sitting on 2700 on the clock, enjoy the drive, happy with the economy. Getting 44-45 with my daily commute. Much better than my previous 140ps Ecosport.

Gavin
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic
DaveTK1

Post by DaveTK1 »

Many thanks indeed for your reply and the various points about the CC, Collision Assist and the economy, Gavin.

I will check the camera issue out, thank you.

Dave
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Welcome along. Glad you're enjoying your Puma.

I've brought my hybrid 155 after 3 ST's in a row. At first I thought I'd be disappointed with the performance but it is more than ample in sport mode. The regen system works well enough in sport mode that you don't need to brake to set up for corners, and makes for swift overtakes in 3rd.

I have had issues with the sat nav. However I only use Android Auto/Google maps etc. Sync 3 is not the best manufacturer set up, but way better than others.

I use the intelligent limiter around town etc. It's generally ok but does have a habit of picking up side street 20mph signs when you're on a 30mph road. You go to accelerate and nothing hapoens. More to do with the angle of the sign and how it has been fixed in place I think. I set the speed tolerance to +2 and the warning chime lets me know.

You can switch between standard and adaptive cruise. I'm also fairly wary of intelligent cruise. There's been a couple of occasions where it has applied the brakes pretty harshly for no particular reason.

I'm not a fan of lane and steering assist. I only indicate when there's a need to let someone know what I'm doing. I drive with lane assist off and with all assist setting set at lowest sensitivity. This has greatly reduced the number of pre collision warnings received. Though, as I have said before it's always good to know that the car is looking out for me.

Enjoy.
Last edited by Wdf76 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveTK1

Post by DaveTK1 »

Thanks for your reply and the interesting points. Before the 335D, I had a Focus ST, which was a hoot.

A real good point about the engine braking in Sport mode, thanks.

I will now have a look at adjusting the sensitivity settings on the various safety features.

Cheers,

Dave
Iain C

Post by Iain C »

I’m still getting to grips with most of the features, the active cruise control has seemed to work well so far on motorways / dual carriageways but the road sign recognition system gets speed wrong more than it gets it right unless there is something I need to change in settings.

Not used lane assist at all as yet

As far as the Ford sat nav goes, having used it for a few years in my company car I think it’s terrible, and doesn’t seem to have improved much so I use Google maps or Waze via Apple car play.

The other feature I’ve not used and probably never will is parking assist - I’d see it as some kind of failure in my ability to drive :D I might try it once just for novelty value...
Ford Puma Titanium First Edition mhev 125 - Grey Matter
DaveTK1

Post by DaveTK1 »

Hi Iain,

I agree that the road sign recognition isn't perfect. I wonder if it would be a valid defence in court? "Well M'lud the Puma said it was a 70 limit, not 30".

Certainly the Parking Assist is top quality entertainment. We tried it in a (very wide) gap and the kids made a Tik Tok video of the steering wheel going round of its own accord and everyone shrieking. That out of the way, I tried it on my own outside the local chippy and bottled out half way through. Probably the last time it will ever get used. I'm sure it works fine but it just seemed so close to the car in front...
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

DaveTK1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:25 am Hi Iain,

We tried it in a (very wide) gap and the kids made a Tik Tok video of the steering wheel going round of its own accord and everyone shrieking.

Classic.... Wanna post a link if it's public?😄
Supertramp

Post by Supertramp »

Hi i am brand new on here, I bought a Puma ST Line X First Edition last month, love everything about the car but it has one problem that it is quite annoying it will not read traffic signs, it reads some then stays locked on that speed sign for miles then will change when it feels like to the correct speed for the road you are now on.
I used to have a Fiesta Active and the camera sign recognition was great so not sure why it is not working in my new Puma and idea how i can fix it anyone?

Cheers

Mike
ejp26

Post by ejp26 »

Hi, maybe post your question in the faults and technical section.....I'm sur a few people have had this problem....in fact I went through Wolverhampton on Wednesday and it took a long time to readjust from the 60mph I had been observing on the way in.