Clutch

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
uglyfatbloke

Post by uglyfatbloke »

Clutch gave out completely with less than 1000 miles on the clock. The dealer says it is 'driver induced'. Given that the driver (not me) does not ride the clutch or use the wrong gear, does that sound credible ti anyone here? So far I've asked and engineer and two mechanics who thing the dealer is talking rubbish.

Vin

Post by Vin »

How do you know the clutch is not ridden, you should ask to see the worn parts after replacement, if the clutch lining is worn away and the pressure plate is in good order then it is probably down to driving style.
Puma St line X 125 MHEV with power tailgate.
uglyfatbloke

Post by uglyfatbloke »

I'm virtually always in the car; how much would you have to flog the car to totally burn out the clutch in less than 1000 miles? Driver has had everything from Ka s to Transits and never a clutch issue...not even with 140,000 miles on one of the Kas (which she had from new).
uglyfatbloke

Post by uglyfatbloke »

PS..it's not as if she does not like the car; she absolutely loves it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I think you would have to be pretty rough with it to kill the clutch that quickly, i would ask for the parts and speak to an independent mechanic/ ford dealership about it.
Good Luck and let us know the outcome.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
uglyfatbloke

Post by uglyfatbloke »

Ford dealer is doing their utmost to avoid any responsibility. What they say is in direct opposition to what the two mechanics and the engineer that we have asked. Our local garage say it's total nonsense but that we won't be able to prove otherwise. The dealer says it is a 'driver induced' problem so it's not even covered by the warranty.
Mike

Post by Mike »

you need an impartial expert engineer to right a report on the parts and take it up direct with ford.
did they say which part was worn and how they think it happened.
Did you buy the car brand new
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
uglyfatbloke

Post by uglyfatbloke »

Brand new and trivial mileage - not much driving due to Covid strictures - mechanics and our tame engineer all say it 's b******** but that we won't be able to prove anything. We've taken it up directly with Ford so we'll see what happens.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Hit them on Social media. Twitter and FB. They don’t like bad publicity.

You would have to be one shit driver to cause that in 1000 miles.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

I've been driving for 45 years and probably covered over three quarter of a million miles in 22 cars, old and new (plus a few hire cars over the years). I've never had a clutch go in all that time.

How can the dealer know that the clutch was abused until they have remived and inspected it?

Your Ford dealer is trying it on and needs to be publicly named and shamed.