When a Pilot 4S is not the same as Pilot 4S FP

Ford Puma ST Chat
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

FP definitely the rim protection, if you look on the following site there is a list of 'Rim Protection Marketing' letters.
https://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/200226 ... p-goe.html
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.

Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Take a look at Fords official initial press video for the Puma ST. The guy walks around and specifically makes reference to the Pilot Spot 4S tyre and the 'FP' label impressed on the tyre wall. He actually points out the FP and it's meaning as Ford Performance.. it's nothing to do with a flange rim or the Rim Protector giving you it's correct name.

While I try find Ford press release video you guys may wish to take a look at the following:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/oe-tyr ... re-can-be/

As a matter of interest the Hyundai i30N also has bespoke tyres, also 19" as the ST but with 35 profile, that tyre on that car is impressed with "HN"

Found it on YouTube at about 2mins 50 sec in the video, Official initial Ford Press release>
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Screenshot_20210615-061401.png

😁

Screenshot_20210615-062029.png

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Methinks the guy in the video was has been caught over egging the pudding... :lol:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
STer

Post by STer »

Rays1 wrote: ↑Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:16 am Take a look at Fords official initial press video for the Puma ST. The guy walks around and specifically makes reference to the Pilot Spot 4S tyre and the 'FP' label impressed on the tyre wall. He actually points out the FP and it's meaning as Ford Performance.. it's nothing to do with a flange rim or the Rim Protector giving you it's correct name.

While I try find Ford press release video you guys may wish to take a look at the following:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/oe-tyr ... re-can-be/

As a matter of interest the Hyundai i30N also has bespoke tyres, also 19" as the ST but with 35 profile, that tyre on that car is impressed with "HN"

Found it on YouTube at about 2mins 50 sec in the video, Official initial Ford Press release>
Thanks Rays.
Good points and I'm sure I'd read similar myself.
However,,,,where are these mysterious Ford Performance (FP) Pilot Sport 4S tyres to be found. I searched what must be eery online outlet, done google searches, looked and entered reg information on Mich's own website, and nothing comes up....other than on the odd site (like mytyres) FPs are available, but FP meaning fringe protectors?
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

If they're OE fit I suspect they will be a dealer purchase only with a decent mark up. In a car driven at 6/10ths they'll be no different to standard ps4's.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Well guys I had to find out for certain. It seems to me the guy in Ford's press release video (see my link previous) makes a very miss leading statement.
I called Michelin direct today.. They confirm that the 'FP' is Rim Protection (Fringe Protection) and does NOT stand for Ford Performance......!

That said on BMW and Hyundai vehicles they do in fact have depending on type, have bespoke uniquely marked tyres.
STer

Post by STer »

Rays1 wrote: ↑Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:02 am Well guys I had to find out for certain. It seems to me the guy in Ford's press release video (see my link previous) makes a very miss leading statement.
I called Michelin direct today.. They confirm that the 'FP' is Rim Protection (Fringe Protection) and does NOT stand for Ford Performance......!

That said on BMW and Hyundai vehicles they do in fact have depending on type, have bespoke uniquely marked tyres.
Thanks Rays, good stuff.
I was interested as *if* I got a Puma ST, I was browsing to see if the Pilot 4S were readily available. I saw your thread topic and dived deeper and came up with nothing.
Why on earth would the dude in the vid say that? (Rhetorical question, not a direct one). He actually doubles down and elaborates on it in the vid.
Given the video's on youtube a few comments calling it out would be fun lol

Don't let anyone ever say car forum posters are just keyboard warriors.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Good to get a result. Forums are great for people wanting to dig deeper. YouTube journos can be poor, just looking to increase their show reels.

However, Ford's own literature appears misleading as I posted above.

Case closed ISH... πŸ˜πŸ‘
STer

Post by STer »

Wdf76 wrote: ↑Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:17 am YouTube journos can be poor, just looking to increase their show reels.

That's the crazy thing- he isn't just a 'youtube Journo', he's the manager of Ford Performance Europe lol