When a Pilot 4S is not the same as Pilot 4S FP

Ford Puma ST Chat
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Not sure if anyone else realise this, but the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres (excellent they are) marked FP (Ford Performance) are bespoke to the Puma ST. Should you get a puncher or damage the tyre and it can't be repaired. If a new tyre is needed, you must specify the correct size obviously and type and be sure it's the "FP Pilot Sport 4S" version.
IMPORTANT: an off the shelf Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is NOT the same a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S FP and be warned some tyre distribution centers are not aware of the fact.
There are subtle differences between the 4S and 4S FP specific to Puma ST- you have been warned. If you want an original new tyre FP version (essential in my opinion) I can bet your bottom dollar they, the tyre garage will not have one in stock and will have to order the FP version!!!!!

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I had this explained to me a while back. There's a lot of high end/sports cars now with bespoke tyres made by the tyre manufacturer of choice. There's a gent at work with a 911. Only pirelli make the correct tyre for his car with its unique code, if I remember correctly. Will ST owners replace them when the time comes.... I see mismatched tyres for sure. I think if I had one I'd buy a tyre from the local fitter to be fitted when needed. With my first 2 ST's I switched front to rear at 12 months and got them through to trade time.
STer

Post by STer »

Good observations, but how about this:
When one goes onto Michelin's OWN website, and if you then input a registration of a PUMA ST into their algorithm, yes it offers the choices to fit the (225/40/ZR19 93Y) size, but it gives 'Pilot Sport 4S' and here's the tyre label for this option: https://www.tyrelabelling.eu/EU/2020-74 ... fcs_en.pdf
Meaning, there is no 'FP' flying around, and this is on Michelin's own site for tyres that specifically fit the PUMA ST car?

Next, the only 'FP' I could find via researching various tyre outlets (like BlackCircles, Asda Tyres etc), was this one from mytyres: https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Mi ... P/R-409127
This is the only one which I could find with a 'FP', but in this instance, it means 'flange protector', not 'Ford Performance'.

Hence, where/link etc can you get (225/40/ZR19 93Y) Pilot SPORT 4S FP, given unless I'm being thick (which wouldn't be surprising), I can't find them on Michelin's own site, nor from any other online tyre site.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

FP = fringe (not flange😁) protector.

Probably anti Kerb protection and not Ford Performance.
STer

Post by STer »

Wdf76 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:37 pm FP = fringe (not flange😁) protector.

Probably anti Kerb protection and not Ford Performance.
Oops, I didn't see that 'typo'. I must have originally seen what wanted to see lol

But still the question goes out where, Mich's own site, or the internet, are the 4S FP (ford performances) in the requited size?
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Think it's just FP (flange protector) pilot sport 4s.

Forget the ford performance part. I've had a few ST's and never heard of a specifically designed tyre for Ford. They're not niche enough.

A lot of these will have mismatched wingwah 'ditch finder’ remoulds fitted going forward.....
STer

Post by STer »

Wdf76 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:06 pm Think it's just FP (flange protector) pilot sport 4s.

Forget the ford performance part. I've had a few ST's and never heard of a specifically designed tyre for Ford. They're not niche enough.

A lot of these will have mismatched wingwah 'ditch finder’ remoulds fitted going forward.....
So you think there isn't a bespoke, dedicated PIlot Sport 4S tyre for the PUMA ST? The lack of anything on the internet that I could find, plus on Mich's own site after putting an ST reg plate in their algorithm seems to suggest so.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I don't think there is a specific tyre. I had a little look myself out of interest.

Perhaps you could one line Michelin to verify...
STer

Post by STer »

Wdf76 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:15 pm I don't think there is a specific tyre. I had a little look myself out of interest.

Perhaps you could one line Michelin to verify...
We need Rays1 to return and give us the low down on the FP mystery, noting how nothing seems to be in the tyre online outlets (FP as in Ford Performance that is, and not FP as in Fringe Protector), nor on Michelins' own site? At least via my own search 'skills'.
So as we've alluded to, it 'may' be that yes, the PUMA ST likes Pilot Sport 4S *FP*, but that just means that it likes the larger curb lip the fringe protector gives, as opposed to it being a bespoke, Ford Performance tyre?
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

That's it.... In a nutshell.