Puma ST security

Ford Puma ST Chat
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Yokomoko wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:54 pm
Rays1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:10 pm
Derek33 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:45 pm Hi

Just a question for my own peace of mind and sorry if this is a dim question.

I have the Titanium with keyless start and I use the Fob to open the doors, when I leave the car and the fob is in my pocket and I am walking about does the key fob go to to sleep, or does it have to be motionless to do that.

Thank you
Don't worry much confusion exist .. basically any normal movement will trigger your key to "wake" and transmit it's coded signal. Which is not really an issue because your likely to be out of the range of your vehicles inbuilt receiver. (Unless of course your doing a dance around your car).
It will only stop transmitting when your key is motionless for more than 40sec.

That said some keys have been found to need an extra jog to wake them.
Usually makes the auto tailgate pointless...
You mean you haven't been caught doing a jig in the car park laden with the weekly shop? :lol:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.

Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

Rays1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:34 am I understand the confusion when looking at the Puma automatic Tailgate Option.
What it is actually saying or trying to say (and not very well I suggest) is the auto tailgate is dependent on the sensing key fob. ie the auto tailgate will not function if your key fob hasn't sensed any recent movement.

If anyone wants to be certain as a test, place your key near your car leave it for 10-15 minutes* and then try opening the doors.

*maybe a bit longer as I have not been able to establish the exact Ford specifications for it sensing key fobs... anyone know?

They are not listed as an option, because simply they are not, they are standard fit.
Very confusing as I’ve just read the Puma brochure again, on page 20 it’s lists the power tailgate with motion sensor keyfree fob as an option then again, on page 22 it just lists the motion sensor fob as an option but only within a package (powered tailgate), the word “includes” would suggest it was otherwise not included on the standard keyfob.

2D65C072-1687-44CD-8360-A4250CDF4154.jpeg

CE50CD97-3548-478B-A3EA-1A7443CB507F.png

Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Hello Spearmint,. What Puma brochure are you looking at? Can I assume its UK January 2021 the very latest version.
The screen shot in your post looks different?
Basically if you have Keyless Start or Keyless entry or both on your Puma model then the key fobs will be motion sensing!
The option for the hands free tailgate is an option for every model which would if specified also give you keyless entry and motion sensing keys fobs. As I see it keyless entry is standard only the Vignale and ST and so by specifying the hands free tailgate option on lower spec models you also get keyless entry thrown in (without keyless a hands free tailgate would be completely pointless)
As I said if you have Keyless power start and or keyless entry, with or without the hands free tailgate you will have motion sensing key fobs by default.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Spearmint wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:36 pm
Rays1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:34 am I understand the confusion when looking at the Puma automatic Tailgate Option.
What it is actually saying or trying to say (and not very well I suggest) is the auto tailgate is dependent on the sensing key fob. ie the auto tailgate will not function if your key fob hasn't sensed any recent movement.

If anyone wants to be certain as a test, place your key near your car leave it for 10-15 minutes* and then try opening the doors.

*maybe a bit longer as I have not been able to establish the exact Ford specifications for it sensing key fobs... anyone know?

They are not listed as an option, because simply they are not, they are standard fit.
Very confusing as I’ve just read the Puma brochure again, on page 20 it’s lists the power tailgate with motion sensor keyfree fob as an option then again, on page 22 it just lists the motion sensor fob as an option but only within a package (powered tailgate), the word “includes” would suggest it was otherwise not included on the standard keyfob.

2D65C072-1687-44CD-8360-A4250CDF4154.jpeg
CE50CD97-3548-478B-A3EA-1A7443CB507F.png
See my post above. ........
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Might be missing something here but why would you need a motion sensing key fob on a keyless start (not entry car)? surely no signal is transmitted until you press the button on the fob?
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Wdf76 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:55 pm Might be missing something here but why would you need a motion sensing key fob on a keyless start (not entry car)? surely no signal is transmitted until you press the button on the fob?
A keyless start vehicle doesn't need the key fob to be pressed.. isn't that the point of the keyless cars start button. You press the start button on the car to start the engine agreed. But you need the key fob to be inside the car (in your pocket maybe) someplace or else the car will not start. The car will only start when it picks up on the coded transmitted signal from the key. But if the Key fob has been motionless or not inside then the car it won't start.
So if the key is inside the house, but the car doesn't have keyless entry but does have keyless start. Then scumbags would need to 'break' into your car disable any alarm via the OBD port and then be able to carry out a rely attack if they are so equipped and your key is not motion sensing.

For Ford key fobs when activated (not by pressing the door entry button) continuously transmit the coded signal. They stop transmitting after 40sec when motionless. But recommence transmitting when they sence movement.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Just isolate keyless entry in settings where you think your Puma is vulnerable.
Last edited by Wdf76 on Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

Wdf76 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:55 pm Might be missing something here but why would you need a motion sensing key fob on a keyless start (not entry car)? surely no signal is transmitted until you press the button on the fob?
Say the car is parked 2m from the front door, and you keep your keyless key just inside the front door. If the key remained active, then anyone could open the door (although not drive off). It would also mean the key could be hacked more easily. By deactivating after 40s, both issues are prevented. Plus the battery lasts longer. Win win.
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

paulcurtis wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:00 am
Say the car is parked 2m from the front door, and you keep your keyless key just inside the front door. If the key remained active, then anyone could open the door (although not drive off). It would also mean the key could be hacked more easily. By deactivating after 40s, both issues are prevented. Plus the battery lasts longer. Win win.
Absolutely, for Pumas with keyless entry.

However what is being transmitted by the key for cars equipped with keyless start?
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

Wdf76 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:55 am
paulcurtis wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:00 am
Absolutely, for Pumas with keyless entry.

However what is being transmitted by the key for cars equipped with keyless start?
I don't know, so can only guess. Clearly by moving the key into the vehicle, it becomes activated. It then knows it's inside, and remains activated.
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black