Puma ST security

Ford Puma ST Chat
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Was wondering if anyone has had thoughts about security on their ST?
The reviews I have read suggest and not specifically to the ST model is that according to Thatcham Research, Puma security is classed as 'superior against keyless entry relay attacks' due mainly in having motion sensing key fobs as standard.
Notwithstanding it's an ST and therefore a likely target.
I for one will continue to use my disklok. It is pain to fit admitted, its heavy, plus if you're not careful its all to easy to donk the dash or worse the sync screen. But for me using it gives me added piece of mind.

Derek33

Post by Derek33 »

Hi, I purchased a Faraday case from that very well known online supplier, in fact you get two for the price under Β£10.

I use it every time I go out in my Puma Titanium Auto, especially when I leave it in a car park.
Ford Puma ST-Line X Vignale 155 Automatic MHEV 2023
Desert Island Blue, Power Tailgate.
Previous model:
Ford Puma Titanium 125 Automatic 2020
Magnetic.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

I purchased two Faraday bags one for each key. They may not be strictly necessary but give a little extra piece of mind. With the key in it's bag in my pocket and stood next to the drivers door it will not unlock. Paid seven pounds for two from Amazon. The bags also match the dash finish, see elsewhere on this forum for some pics.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Thanks for the replys guys. But have I got it wrong? Didn't Thatcham research find the Puma superior to relay attacks? In so much all Puma models have motion sensing key fobs. Meaning you don't actually need a Faraday bag?

Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it new Fords from 2019 with keyless start/entry have these keys fobs as standard. Plus for cars post 2017 a Ford retro modification was made available at cost to the owner.

https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/sec ... er-rating/

I accept key cloning might still be a problem, but generally the Puma is not at risk from the scum bags who try to scan and amplify your keys signal while your a sleep at night.
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

Another interesting article made aware by wdf76 on here >> viewtopic.php?f=8&t=341 <<
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

Rays1 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:30 pm
Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it new Fords from 2019 with keyless start/entry have these keys fobs as standard. Plus for cars post 2017 a Ford retro modification was made available at cost to the owner.

Not sure of the individual spec for the ST, but motion sensing key fob was only an option that came with the powered tailgate.
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Spearmint wrote: ↑Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:43 am
Rays1 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:30 pm

Not sure of the individual spec for the ST, but motion sensing key fob was only an option that came with the powered tailgate.
Really? Ford have supplied these for all new cars AFAIK and it's not mentioned as an option.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

I understand the confusion when looking at the Puma automatic Tailgate Option.
What it is actually saying or trying to say (and not very well I suggest) is the auto tailgate is dependent on the sensing key fob. ie the auto tailgate will not function if your key fob hasn't sensed any recent movement.

If anyone wants to be certain as a test, place your key near your car leave it for 10-15 minutes* and then try opening the doors.

*maybe a bit longer as I have not been able to establish the exact Ford specifications for it sensing key fobs... anyone know?

They are not listed as an option, because simply they are not, they are standard fit.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Keyless entry was part of the powered tailgate extra from day one.

It was never either or.

I haven't looked at the spec for vignale or ST to know whether this has since changed.

If you must push the button in your fob to unlock then a pouch, tin foil, lead case or microwave is unnecessary.

I've gone out to get in my car on a couple of occasions thinking its key was in my pocket. It wasn't and the doors didn't unlock. The tech works.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Rays1 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:34 am I understand the confusion when looking at the Puma automatic Tailgate Option.
What it is actually saying or trying to say (and not very well I suggest) is the auto tailgate is dependent on the sensing key fob. ie the auto tailgate will not function if your key fob hasn't sensed any recent movement.

If anyone wants to be certain as a test, place your key near your car leave it for 10-15 minutes* and then try opening the doors.

*maybe a bit longer as I have not been able to establish the exact Ford specifications for it sensing key fobs... anyone know?

They are not listed as an option, because simply they are not, they are standard fit.
Key supposedly turns off after 40 seconds of no movement.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.