Puma ST security

Ford Puma ST Chat
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

paulcurtis wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 am
Wdf76 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:55 am
paulcurtis wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:00 am

Say the car is parked 2m from the front door, and you keep your keyless key just inside the front door. If the key remained active, then anyone could open the door (although not drive off). It would also mean the key could be hacked more easily. By deactivating after 40s, both issues are prevented. Plus the battery lasts longer. Win win.
Absolutely, for Pumas with keyless entry.

However what is being transmitted by the key for cars equipped with keyless start?
I don't know, so can only guess. Clearly by moving the key into the vehicle, it becomes activated. It then knows it's inside, and remains activated.
The system works by having a series of LF (low frequency 125 kHz) transmitting antennas both inside and outside the vehicle. The external antennas are located in the door handles. When the vehicle is triggered, either by pulling the handle or touching the handle, an LF signal is transmitted from the antennas to the key. The key becomes activated if it is sufficiently close and it transmits its ID back to the vehicle via RF (Radio frequency >300 MHz) to a receiver located in the vehicle. If the key has the correct ID, the PASE module unlocks the vehicle.

The smart key determines if it is inside or outside the vehicle by measuring the strength of the LF fields. In order to start the vehicle, the smart key must be inside the vehicle.

This of course this will only work when your Key fob is 'awake' and able to receive and transmit as a result of senseing physical movement.

mad murph

Post by mad murph »

Are you able to disable keyless entry via the menus on the ST?
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

mad murph wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:26 pm Are you able to disable keyless entry via the menus on the ST?
Yes you can switch it on and off as follows:

Press the menu button on the steering wheel to enter the information display main menu.
Select Settings.
Select Vehicle.
Select Locks.
Select KeyFree.
Press and hold the OK button until a confirmation message appears in the information display.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Anyway I think we have moved away from my original question.
Is anyone using any additional security?
I am and as good as the standard security is on the ST I use a Disklok in addition.
Any thoughts on protection of the OBD?
Yokomoko

Post by Yokomoko »

Rays1 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:05 am Anyway I think we have moved away from my original question.
I am and as good as the standard security is on the ST I use a Disklok in addition.
My extra security is 4 years of gap insurance! 😛
2020 Puma ST Performance

Mean Green - Driver Assistance Pack - Panoramic Sunroof - Powerlift Tailgate - Performance Pack
Gary_28

Post by Gary_28 »

Rays1 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:05 am Anyway I think we have moved away from my original question.
I have recently been asking the question in regards a dummy OBD port or relocating.

Did you get anyone come back to you with any suggestions 🤷