Mountune shortshifter

Ford Puma ST Chat
Robby71

Post by Robby71 »

Has anyone fitted the Mountune shortshifter?
Just fitted mine tonight - 2 flipping hours it took - well over an hour to knock the pin out of the old arm :o even though you get a tool (straight metal rod) i bought a set of punches and good job as i ended up using 3 different sizes.
Haven't driven the car yet but going through the gears when parked it didn't feel much different? hope it's noticeable when driving
2022 Puma ST, Performance Pack, Driver assist pack - Mean Green

00lukep

Post by 00lukep »

Hi Robby, not yet but will be doing in the coming weeks.

Very interested to hear what the driving experience feels like!
Robby71

Post by Robby71 »

00lukep wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:32 pm Hi Robby, not yet but will be doing in the coming weeks.

Very interested to hear what the driving experience feels like!
Hi
Well to be honest it wasn't that noticeable when driving as it only reduced the throw by 25% but i guess it was better?
I sold that ST back in November last year and removed all mods except the SS as i couldn't be bothered removing it again.

Roll on to 3 weeks ago and 4 cars later i bought another Puma ST also in green and have fitted all new mods yet again - Dreamscience remap, Mountune intake hose/ intake elbow/ drop in filter/ roll restrictor and yep another Mountune shortshifter :lol:
I fitted the roll restrictor and shortshift together and what a difference they make, the gearchanges are now smooth with no notchiness and i guess closer.
With the roll restrictor you can definately feel vibration slightly at idle and also at certain RPMs but i'm hoping it'll get better when it wears in

I wouldsay if you want smoother gearchanges then fit both, if you just want closer gears then i think you'd be slightly dissapointed
00lukep

Post by 00lukep »

Reassuring to hear you've come back to the puma ST :D

I've come from a few years with a ZF 8 speed so a little notchiness in the manual 6 is a welcome change. Will likely fit the roll restrictor alongside if it helps with the shifting quality.

You bothered with the lowering springs before? That's the one I'm most interested in doing.
Robby71

Post by Robby71 »

The roll restrictor (torque mount) has to be the best upgrade for better gearchanges/ wheelhop reduction as long as you don't mind a bit of cabin vibration (some say they don't get any and some say it's unbearable?)

I'm not really looking into springs as i like a slightly higher position as it makes getting in/ out a lot easier than the TT45 i just traded in (getting old :oops: )
00lukep

Post by 00lukep »

Cheers for the heads up mate.

Any issues getting the power down with the remap?
Robby71

Post by Robby71 »

00lukep wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:09 pm Cheers for the heads up mate.

Any issues getting the power down with the remap?
Haven't driven it yet :roll: - 1st drive will be on the way to work tommorow
Put the 97 map on which is supposed to be 230bhp
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

No experience of it. Put off by the faffing about to knock out the pin. That said I have installed all the kit for M260. Makes for a dam quick ST. If I can suggest, swap out the gearknob for the Mountune version, it makes for a totaly different feel.
Plus have you considered the Mountune oil catch can. We are to talking direct injection for the dragon engine and so blow by oil will be directed straight back into the engine. Easy to fit and easy to drain.
Robby71

Post by Robby71 »

Rays1 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:40 pm No experience of it. Put off by the faffing about to knock out the pin. That said I have installed all the kit for M260. Makes for a dam quick ST. If I can suggest, swap out the gearknob for the Mountune version, it makes for a totaly different feel.
Plus have you considered the Mountune oil catch can. We are to talking direct injection for the dragon engine and so blow by oil will be directed straight back into the engine. Easy to fit and easy to drain.
It isn't a difficult job fitting the shifter just fiddly with the pin. I bought a set of drift punches as the supplied 1 is the same size as the pin so you have to be very accurate when trying to knock it through - much easier starting with a smaller 1 then working up in size

I fitted the Mountune gearknob on my last Puma but with this car i fitted a carbon (?) Ford Performance lokalike off aliexpress - feels really nice and is great quality for less than 1/2 the price of a genuine Ford - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... 1802y4vmB8

I was looking at other MT parts - crossoverpipe, intercooler, etc but for what i use the car for (21 miles a day to work and back) it isn't really worth spending much more on

Been running the 97ron map (230bhp) since yesterday, feels similar to stock low down and a bit more mid range, will try the 99 map on the next tank of 99ron (235bhp) as i just filled up yesterday with 99 after last tank had 98ron
00lukep

Post by 00lukep »

Robby71 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:07 pm
Rays1 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:40 pm No experience of it. Put off by the faffing about to knock out the pin. That said I have installed all the kit for M260. Makes for a dam quick ST. If I can suggest, swap out the gearknob for the Mountune version, it makes for a totaly different feel.
It isn't a difficult job fitting the shifter just fiddly with the pin. I bought a set of drift punches as the supplied 1 is the same size as the pin so you have to be very accurate when trying to knock it through - much easier starting with a smaller 1 then working up in size

I fitted the Mountune gearknob on my last Puma but with this car i fitted a carbon (?) Ford Performance lokalike off aliexpress - feels really nice and is great quality for less than 1/2 the price of a genuine Ford - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... 1802y4vmB8

I was looking at other MT parts - crossoverpipe, intercooler, etc but for what i use the car for (21 miles a day to work and back) it isn't really worth spending much more on

Been running the 97ron map (230bhp) since yesterday, feels similar to stock low down and a bit more mid range, will try the 99 map on the next tank of 99ron (235bhp) as i just filled up yesterday with 99 after last tank had 98ron
Cheers for the info - I'm surprised at how strong the engine feels in stock form. Would like to see the actual power on a dyno. Feels like more than 200 bhp.