Steering Noises

Ford Puma ST Chat
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

For a few weeks I've noticed a couple of sounds related to steering...

1: At any speed turning the wheel (mostly left) results in a quiet "ching" like the sound if you knock a drinking glass from somewhere in front of me !?!?

2: Manoeuvring speed, mostly sharp right turning as stopping result in creaking like an old boat from the front corner of the car.

Will have to book it in for a looky looky I guess
Puma ST Agate Black

The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

As an update it's getting more pronounced so is going in to be looked at on the 7th.
Puma ST Agate Black
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

The Monkey Man wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:05 pm As an update it's getting more pronounced so is going in to be looked at on the 7th.
By the sound of it your a bit of a petrol head. So doubt what I am about to say will make the slightest difference!.. But have you manually checked your tyre pressures? From my experience with RS's and especially so with the Puma ST the right pressure is essential. On full lock I to get a slight judder, I put it down they being 19", low profile on an SUV. I found optimal pressure is 'cold' 34psi and 29psi rear...it just might help and improve the issue?
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Stranger things have happened but I don't think that's the issue. Actually went away mostly during the rain a few days back so maybe a dry bush or something. Goes in next week so hopefully shed some light on it.
Puma ST Agate Black
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

I drove straight to my dealer once, horrible knocking sound from the back. It was a piece of cardboard stuck to my tyre :D
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Car is at the dealers today and I've just had a call to say they have identified the noise and a couple of new bolts are required in order to resolve it. Will be ready for collection tomorrow so will get the full low down on exactly what bolts.
Puma ST Agate Black
Robby71

Post by Robby71 »

There is an issue with STs (i think just these) where some owners have had steering rack problems.
There is an owner on the FB group who has had his car towed to the dealer this week with this problem.
I did read a couple of weeks ago the bolts come loose - not sure if they just retighten them with loctite or if there's more involved
2022 Puma ST, Performance Pack, Driver assist pack - Mean Green
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Well as way of an update, mine had a know issue fix carried out and it didn't resolve the issue so it's going back next week for a couple of days. If they can't find ' fix the issue I'll take it to another dealer.
Puma ST Agate Black
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

...and it's been dropped off for the second attempt.
Puma ST Agate Black
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Entire Steering Rack is being replaced.
Puma ST Agate Black