Steering Noises

Ford Puma ST Chat
Robby71

Post by Robby71 »

Did they say if the parts were available or is it a waiting game?
2022 Puma ST, Performance Pack, Driver assist pack - Mean Green

The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Car was dropped off Monday morning so they could have it for a few days to investigate the problem. I phone up about 2pm Wednesday to see how things were going and was told that the rack was being replaced and that the parts were all now in ready to be done Thursday.
Puma ST Agate Black
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

So I finally went to collect the car today and the steering wheel is now down to the left when driving straight ahead, slightly drifts left and when steering wheel is set dead centre it drifts right. I complained and the technicians took it out and didn't think it was but reset steering sensor. I took it out including dual carriageway and steering is to the left and drifts right when straight and you can take sweeping right bends with the wheel dead ahead!!!
It had a new steering rack yet apparently no steering geometry alignment of any type was performed as "not necessary for the work done" My uncle a retired head of the traffic Police garage couldn't believe they wouldn't do that as is basic stuff after such an item is replaced. To boot they original noises are still there so all I have achieved for 8 days without the car is wonky steering!
As a warning to others, this is MARSHAL FORD OF CAMBRIDGE....Avoid!
Their Manager is calling me Monday but I will also be contacting Ford UK to complain and green light it going to another dealership to be looked at.
For reference, the steering was totally on point from delivery until I dropped off for this latest work.
Puma ST Agate Black
Robby71

Post by Robby71 »

That's shoddy - if any part of the steering/ suspension is replaced an alignment check at the very least should be done.

Call into kwik fit and see if they offer a free alignment check - you don't have to get it done but at least you'll know if it is out and that will prove to the dealer they are at fault
2022 Puma ST, Performance Pack, Driver assist pack - Mean Green
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Well I've booked it in with another dealer on the 16th now anyway. Complained to Ford UK in some detail too. Marshalls Service Manager called me today, apparently it was the Steering Column that was replaced not the Rack so didn't even tell me the right info. Apparently "he" had taken it out and thought it OK so my response was that I was obviously wasting my time then when it is clearly not right / not as sold to me. Plus seemed surprised that the original fault was still present.....do they not check these things before handing back!?!
Puma ST Agate Black
pharaohound

Post by pharaohound »

I have a similar problem in my 2021 STline , the steering thumps when turning both directions, you can also hear a crunching noise when slowly going over a speed-bump.
Took to the dealer today and called me back a couple of hours later saying it needs a new steering column...!

Strangely they also told me it is safe to drive in the meanwhile, until the part arrives. Any advice?
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Do we have an Idea on when the racks are failing.
Is it an issue with relatively new and low mileage cars or is it those with a fair amount of miles.
Be good to know what the mileage is when the problem appears.
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Not been on here a while but to close Ford of Huntingdon "FINALLY" got my steering both straight and power steering weighting where it should be. My God it was a slog getting this resolved and I still have the weird ping noise from the steering wheel column.

My car made no noises when I got it, then the "ping" started but rarely. Then the creaking on tight turning in first like parking etc. All happened at pretty low milage. Known fixes didn't resolve either. Steering Column replacement fixed ping for a while but it came back after a few thousand miles. Creaking wasn't resolved but then fixed itself so whether it needed a new column I have no idea.

Took months to finally get steering right due to long waits for slots and general incompetence. Car drives like it did new now, no creaking, weird ping still there. Can't be bothered to chase that again until summer now.
Puma ST Agate Black
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Hi,

Just following on from your post last year about the weird "ping" noise on the steering wheel. Did you ever go back to Ford with the problem?

I am currently in a battle with my local dealer about this issue, they have had the car in three times and changed numerous parts but the noise is still there. They are now saying that this is a "characteristic of the car" which is just not true as it didn't have the noise when I first picked it up, they replaced the steering column and it stopped for approx. 2.5k miles, why did they try and fix it if it was supposed to make a noise and even their sales manager told me they shouldn't make that noise!

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall - any advice appreciated.
halfmeasures

Post by halfmeasures »

My dealer just replaced my steering column shaft on warranty with no issues.

I had previously booked the car in to investigate knocking noises coming from the steering and they replaced some bolts and that noise stopped.

However it came back and so I booked it back in expecting it to be the bolts again. They checked the bolts which were fine and couldn’t replicate the noise, so I went in and drove the master technician around to demonstrate the noise.

He heard it and said he could replicate the noise so booked the car back in to investigate further. They identified that it was a problem with the steering column and ordered the part in but said the car was safe to drive in the meantime.

The work was all completed earlier this week after being in for a day. The steering feels so much smoother after this fix, makes no noises and doesn’t feel knockey or notchey.

This work was all done under warranty by Ford Bristol street motors in Bromley and I’d push my local dealer to do the same if the steering is making any sort of noise or isn’t smooth.
ST-Line X 155 PS First Edition Desert Island Blue (previous)
ST-Line X 155 PS in Lucid Red (current)