Puma ST Starting Issue

Ford Puma ST Chat
Paddydd002

Post by Paddydd002 »

Hi All

I do hope someone could help me. The dealership are useless on this one.

I have done the same journey of over 80 miles, twice now, with the same results both time. At all other times the car appears to be fine. The car is 3 weeks old and is a Puma ST with Performance Pack.

The Issue

I drive the journey, mostly Dual Carriageway and Motorway for 80miles. When I get home, I turn the car off, by pressing the start stop button. All is OK upto now. (I cant remember if I press Full Guard or Reduced Guard on either occasion or I just let the car shut down without selecting an option) When I come to restart the car the car just doesnt start. It doesnt crank, nothing. Its as if the immobiliser is blocking it from starting. I press the start button with the clutch down. All the lights are on, dashboard is lit and everything looks normal. I press the button and wait. I then get a red box appear which is overshadowed by an orange box saying about Auxiliary power. The red box stays on for 2 seconds with a sound like a melody. What I can see, although very briefly, is the message says something about the charging system before it disappears.

To fix the issue I disconnect the battery negative terminal and then reconnect it. The car then fires back into life and starts with no issues. Its really weird that it is happened on the exact same journey twice. Dealership last time said the BCM needed rebooting and it shoudnt happen again. It clearly did. I'm about to go out with my code reader to see if there are any error messages (something the dealership couldnt be bothered to do).

I dont suppose anyone else has had a problem like this ?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many Thanks for reading my issue

Paddy

Deleted User 1304

Post by Deleted User 1304 »

Strange one, does this happen even after exiting the vehicle and locking it after your journey before unlocking and trying to start again?
Paddydd002

Post by Paddydd002 »

Hi jacko1978

Thanks for the reply. It is certainly strange.

Both. First time car was locked. Second time it wasnt. This happened 2 weeks apart. In between that there are no issues and nothing in the run up to it.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Hmmmm strange.. Just a thought could it be as simple as your Key?
Remember your keys are motion sensor.
Next time you have the issue, give your key a shake. Some keys need an extra wake up.
That said and reguardless of your issue, I would avoid battery disconnection for fear of having to reset the BCM.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Might sound obvious, try another dealer.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Agree with Rays1 and Rizmo , does it recognise that the key is there ? or is it not shutting down properly. Either way find a dealer who is interested.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Paddydd002

Post by Paddydd002 »

An update on this. Ran Forscan over it to recover the codes. P06E9 - Engine Starter Performance. Apparently its rife over on the Fiesta and Focus forums. According to that its a ground issue, so will have a look at the ground on the starter motor, PCM and Battery. Also finding another dealer to take a look aswell. After the service I've had though, I'm not sure I trust any of them at the moment.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Paddydd002 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:00 pm An update on this. Ran Forscan over it to recover the codes. P06E9 - Engine Starter Performance. Apparently its rife over on the Fiesta and Focus forums. According to that its a ground issue, so will have a look at the ground on the starter motor, PCM and Battery. Also finding another dealer to take a look aswell. After the service I've had though, I'm not sure I trust any of them at the moment.
I fully appreciate the frustration. But I would not fiddle with it. Your vehicle (a very young vehicle to boot) is under warranty so let the dealership fix it. Reguardless on how poor you dealership might prove to be.
With today's vehicle's being so full of microprocessors it wouldn't take much to create an electronic spike" and kill it dead.
Teloy

Post by Teloy »

Hello every one.. I Just got a used ford puma st line x 155. As i got it i left for china for one month. I asked my wife to get the car for a spin but she was afraid and left it there sitting. Now the car went on sleep mode. I charged the battery. Every thing opens but it doesnt start.. I dont know why.. I suspect the battery.. What do you think? Ty
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Check the battery voltage and charge again.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.