Coolant temperature

Ford Puma ST Chat
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

cianpars wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:05 am
Mitchd10 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:38 pm Yeah sounds about right then, my gauge is usally in the middle i only noticed the 93c when i was flicking through the digital dash menus.
Interesting. I scroll through the digital screens and don't ever recall noticing that. I'll have a look next time I am in the car. Can you tell me which screen this is on?

Perhaps the ST and ST line are different in this respect?
Must be an ST feature only! :(
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6

FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

Yeah it’s on my ST

I checked today in the cooler weather for OP, from cold took couple miles (6-8 mins) to get up to full temperature driving gently back roads

Then I watched it on my 40 min journey,and it stayed in 88-92 range (bar sat middle on the gauge)dependant on driving or sitting etc,etc was 90 after a mix of dual carriageway and single track

I’m not sure at what temperature the cooling fan kicks in though if anyone knows?

I had a thermostat go stuck open on my mk8 fiesta this year had done 27k that was not sitting on the halfway line, it would move cooler if you took foot off the gas and just cruising along at 62 would drop almost to the quarter, and would only go up if sat in traffic so fluctuating visibly.
As in picture was after 40 min drive so it’s very noticeable if there’s an issue.

Had the thermostat replaced and was back to normal again, garage said easy job as it’s near the top of the engine, and also that thermostats are built to fail open these days.

Now oil temp not sure on the temp or psi can check tomorrow if that helps, think sometimes just a needle or graphic is all you need than all the temps and pressures.

A6254868-FFAD-401A-A780-67375005C806.jpeg

ST Performance Grey Matter (Performance Pack / Drivers Assistance Pack / Dark Wheels & Power Tailgate)
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

So oil and water temp started 1 degree above ambient this morning 9deg
Water hit middle bar on graphic at around 2 miles but temp showed 83 hit 90-91 not long after that, then fluctuated depending on acceleration or coasting between 88-92 (ram effect / heater on) as before

Oil started off at 9 degrees then took a bit longer than the water to hit around 88 and 28psi was from the off if I'm remembering correctly, so many gauges 😂, so guess as recommend drive carefully from cold as gauge/blower maybe warm, but not up to full temp until further down the road

I'm sure I've read that it takes 10 mins of driving or was that miles to be operating nice and warm in cars

Also read alot that warming up on idle is not a good thing as oil and gearbox will be cooler, and driving it straight off gently warms things up slightly quicker and evenly.
Which I have started to do now after getting seat belt on and adjusted, as before I've let her run for a couple of minutes longer
ST Performance Grey Matter (Performance Pack / Drivers Assistance Pack / Dark Wheels & Power Tailgate)
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Yes never a good idea to let the car idle when starting from cold. Those people who start their car on a freezing cold morning and go back in doors to let it warm up do more harm than good. Always drive away as soon as possible.
If you have an ST with the performance pack then the perfect way in knowing your car has reached the optimal temperature is to select "Launch Control" once it allows you to select it you know you have reached it.
Another tip and perhaps not as vital these days with turbo charger dual water/oil cooling is to allow your car to idle (especially immediately after a fast motorway or even track run) for a minute or two before you switch off. It just gives the turbo a chance to cool a little rather than having sudden bearing heat soak.
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Rays1 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:00 pm Yes never a good idea to let the car idle when starting from cold. Those people who start their car on a freezing cold morning and go back in doors to let it warm up do more harm than good. Always drive away as soon as possible.

So much for Remote Start to warm up the car before getting out of bed :D Let alone the settings Ford provides for various heating settings on Remote Start.
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

Rays1 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:00 pm Yes never a good idea to let the car idle when starting from cold. Those people who start their car on a freezing cold morning and go back in doors to let it warm up do more harm than good. Always drive away as soon as possible.
If you have an ST with the performance pack then the perfect way in knowing your car has reached the optimal temperature is to select "Launch Control" once it allows you to select it you know you have reached it.
Another tip and perhaps not as vital these days with turbo charger dual water/oil cooling is to allow your car to idle (especially immediately after a fast motorway or even track run) for a minute or two before you switch off. It just gives the turbo a chance to cool a little rather than having sudden bearing heat soak.

Good tip on the turbo I always tend to flick to normal mode a few streets back and drive gently till I pull up
Then as my kids say I do post flight checks lol so leave it running then turn off

Most I let it warm in idle is if its frozen or snow whilst I clear the side windows then it's heated seats n wheel 😂

But going back to Post thermostat & coolant temps, It was first I've had fail since an old maestro I had and at 26k think was unlucky, but glad they fail open now saves the engine. And symptoms are quite obvious in movements of gauge/needle readings etc

Bare in mind weather/ram effect and heater on can have a slowing effect but once at temp shouldn't shoot up or down, get it checked if so.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

FP2022F1T wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:32 pm

Good tip on the turbo I always tend to flick to normal mode a few streets back and drive gently till I pull up
Then as my kids say I do post flight checks lol so leave it running then turn off

Most I let it warm in idle is if its frozen or snow whilst I clear the side windows then it's heated seats n wheel 😂

But going back to Post thermostat & coolant temps, It was first I've had fail since an old maestro I had and at 26k think was unlucky, but glad they fail open now saves the engine. And symptoms are quite obvious in movements of gauge/needle readings etc

Bare in mind weather/ram effect and heater on can have a slowing effect but once at temp shouldn't shoot up or down, get it checked if so.
Ha ha nothing wrong with a post flight check. Your kids know there stuff LOL.
I am private pilot (4 seater Cherokee) and do exactly that post flight and shut down always in a specific sequence. I guess that's why I am such an anorak when it comes to the ST.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Going to dealers on Monday to see if there are any offers on.....Reading this thread has been a good reminder not to be tempted by an ST. I don't think I could give it as much time as you lot.. :lol:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

Sparks wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:34 pm Going to dealers on Monday to see if there are any offers on.....Reading this thread has been a good reminder not to be tempted by an ST. I don't think I could give it as much time as you lot.. :lol:
Lol 😂 it's like the starship enterprise the gauges and info lol

Car is amazing though have a test drive at least
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

FP2022F1T wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:33 pm
Sparks wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:34 pm Going to dealers on Monday to see if there are any offers on.....Reading this thread has been a good reminder not to be tempted by an ST. I don't think I could give it as much time as you lot.. :lol:
Lol 😂 it's like the starship enterprise the gauges and info lol

Car is amazing though have a test drive at least
Yes go on give the ST go, you will be smitten I promise u.