Control your Puma ST valve

Ford Puma ST Chat
martn

Post by martn »

As some of you have might noticed, the valve in the exhaust on the Puma ST closes when you start driving the car. I always thought the valve would open up when driving in Sport, but that's not fully true. As soon as you hit the sport button, the valve opens, but after hitting the throttle for just a small percentage the valve directly closes. It will only open up when full throttle or above around 4000 RPM. I myself found this quite annoying. I don't need an extremely loud car, but when the valve closes it's too quiet while cruising for my liking. It turns out, that can be solved with an ideal solution.

I myself bought the ASR Valve Controller. The installation is fairly simple, I'll show some photos in a bit below. But this module does the following:
Normal mode: Valve is closed, but will open up after 4300 RPM
Sport mode: Valve will be 100% open at any time
Race mode: Valve will be 100% open at any time
In normale mode; double press ESC button will open up the valve
When enabling start-stop, the module will remind that and disables start-stop automatically when turning the car on
Press the start-stop button for around 30 seconds and the module will turn off, everything will work as stock
The change in sound is such a MASSIVE difference. Overall the sound is so much better when being in low rang revs and while cruising. The pops and bangs are also WAY louder, which also has to do with my Mountune tune. I myself did it for the overal sounds, the pops don't need to be that loud for my liking. But overall, this is just perfect. I've done this mod with my Milltek exhaust, but you can also use this with the stock exhaust. If I'd have heard of this mod before, I think I would have skipped the Milltek upgrade.

The awesome thing here is that you don't need and get an ugly transmitter, you can control the exhaust with the ESC and Start-stop button.

I'll leave a video here about the product and will be posting some of my own video clips once I've recorded some.

Puma ST Module: https://asr-component.de/de/klappensteu ... g-cb2.html

Small indication of the installation
The installation is quite simple, but it definitely takes some time since it's hard to reach the hole going into the car on the bottom side of the car. A full guide will be send to you when you buy the product, this is just to quickly show how it's done.

1. Remove some panels to be able to get the right side panel loose.

2. Pull the plug out of the valve motor, on the exhaust

3. There's a rubber plug, get that out of the hole and pull the plug from the valve motor into the car. Plug that cable into the module and let the other side of the module go back to the valve motor. It's just like an extension cord. Plug that side into the valve motor.

4. Lastly, there's a cable with a 'cable-thief' connected to the module. The cable-thief needs to be connected to a specific white & blue cable that are connected to a module behind that right panel you took loose.

5. Make everything neat and tidy again. I used double side tape to tape the module to the body work of the car behind the panels. I've made a cut in the rubber plug, put the rest of the cables through it and use some sealant to close the rest of the hole, to prevent water from coming in.

Video from the manufacturer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdonXupc4iQ

Hopefully I helped some of you. I love it myself!

martn

Post by martn »

I created a little comparison video for everyone to compare.

Tollymore

Post by Tollymore »

Hi,
I have just purchased one of there from the same company.
It is just like stock and I get no response when I double click the ESC button. Am I doing something wrong or does it need activating in some way. The sellers instructions mention workshop mode so I don’t know it I have it in that mode or how to get it out of workshop mode.

Could you help

Thanks
Alfred77L8

Post by Alfred77L8 »

Thank you all for sharing, solved my problems and difficulties
TonyBlue

Post by TonyBlue »

Have one on order, be interesting to see the difference.
Antwyr

Post by Antwyr »

martn wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:36 am As some of you have might noticed, the valve in the exhaust on the Puma ST closes when you start driving the car. I always thought the valve would open up when driving in Sport, but that's not fully true. As soon as you hit the sport button, the valve opens, but after hitting the throttle for just a small percentage the valve directly closes. It will only open up when full throttle or above around 4000 RPM. I myself found this quite annoying. I don't need an extremely loud car, but when the valve closes it's too quiet while cruising for my liking. It turns out, that can be solved with an ideal solution.

I myself bought the ASR Valve Controller. The installation is fairly simple, I'll show some photos in a bit below. But this module does the following:
Normal mode: Valve is closed, but will open up after 4300 RPM
Sport mode: Valve will be 100% open at any time
Race mode: Valve will be 100% open at any time
In normale mode; double press ESC button will open up the valve
When enabling start-stop, the module will remind that and disables start-stop automatically when turning the car on
Press the start-stop button for around 30 seconds and the module will turn off, everything will work as stock
The change in sound is such a MASSIVE difference. Overall the sound is so much better when being in low rang revs and while cruising. The pops and bangs are also WAY louder, which also has to do with my Mountune tune. I myself did it for the overal sounds, the pops don't need to be that loud for my liking. But overall, this is just perfect. I've done this mod with my Milltek exhaust, but you can also use this with the stock exhaust. If I'd have heard of this mod before, I think I would have skipped the Milltek upgrade.

The awesome thing here is that you don't need and get an ugly transmitter, you can control the exhaust with the ESC and Start-stop button.

I'll leave a video here about the product and will be posting some of my own video clips once I've recorded some.

Puma ST Module: https://asr-component.de/de/klappensteu ... g-cb2.html

Small indication of the installation
The installation is quite simple, but it definitely takes some time since it's hard to reach the hole going into the car on the bottom side of the car. A full guide will be send to you when you buy the product, this is just to quickly show how it's done.

1. Remove some panels to be able to get the right side panel loose.

2. Pull the plug out of the valve motor, on the exhaust

3. There's a rubber plug, get that out of the hole and pull the plug from the valve motor into the car. Plug that cable into the module and let the other side of the module go back to the valve motor. It's just like an extension cord. Plug that side into the valve motor.

4. Lastly, there's a cable with a 'cable-thief' connected to the module. The cable-thief needs to be connected to a specific white & blue cable that are connected to a module behind that right panel you took loose.

5. Make everything neat and tidy again. I used double side tape to tape the module to the body work of the car behind the panels. I've made a cut in the rubber plug, put the rest of the cables through it and use some sealant to close the rest of the hole, to prevent water from coming in.

Video from the manufacturer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdonXupc4iQ

Hopefully I helped some of you. I love it myself!

Hello, can you explain the start/stop interaction more? I’m not understanding that part unless you mean this overrides the start/stop function?
Puma ST | Matter Grey | Performance Pack | Matt Magnetite