Engine Oil Separator Recall

Ford Puma ST Chat
Deleted User 965

Post by Deleted User 965 »

Not a clue, not even the dealers know. I get the impression that Ford might not have fully nailed it all down yet.

Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

I contacted Autocar magazine and this is their reply....

Thank you for your email to Autocar. We have contacted Ford and they made this statement:

“Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety recall (22S21) in Europe for a certain population of 2019-2022 built Fiesta, Puma, Focus and Kuga vehicles equipped with a 1.5-liter petrol engine. In affected vehicles, the engine oil separator may develop an oil leak. If sufficient engine oil leaks, accumulates, and migrates to an ignition source, an underhood fire can occur. This action affects approx. 29,000 vehicles across Europe. No accidents or injuries associated with this condition have been reported so far. Ford has started to inform dealers and will soon start to notify customers.”

Thanks,
Kris
Deleted User 965

Good move.. I just wish they’d tell the dealers the actions to take. That statement doesn’t really indicate whether they’ve now nailed down the fix or not and if they’ve started communicating that to their dealers.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

I would imagine its now down to the lead times for the modified part. I don't know what this separator looks like or how its constructed. If its a simple pressing or stamping it shouldn't take too long to knock them out. If its a complex machining then it could take a while to knock out the 29K needed for the European market. I wonder how many affected in the US and other markets.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Danny1

Post by Danny1 »

I collected my Fiesta ST from the dealers today after it’s service, I asked what she knew of the recall, well we all know more to be honest with you! I said does anyone know how this effects collection of new cars? She said ‘they said it depends on build’ you will have to ask you salesman. That is the exact reason I only use them for service and not sales! Bloody useless! My paperwork shows that all updates/field actions are up to date, etis is still showing required action. I will see if it updates by tomorrow?

70382B6F-5F44-48FB-9CE8-60EFB83CB432.jpeg

Maybe it’s just a visual inspection for now unless there are signs of oil damage etc?
Fiesta ST Performance Edition, Puma ST Frozen White, Performance pack, power tailgate and Pan roof dark wheels
Benmnk

Post by Benmnk »

Danny1 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:38 pm I collected my Fiesta ST from the dealers today after it’s service, I asked what she knew of the recall, well we all know more to be honest with you! I said does anyone know how this effects collection of new cars? She said ‘they said it depends on build’ you will have to ask you salesman. That is the exact reason I only use them for service and not sales! Bloody useless! My paperwork shows that all updates/field actions are up to date, etis is still showing required action. I will see if it updates by tomorrow?
70382B6F-5F44-48FB-9CE8-60EFB83CB432.jpeg
Maybe it’s just a visual inspection for now unless there are signs of oil damage etc?
Interesting, tomorrow is the day i hopefully get an update. Didnt have time to call them today and my dealer is back at work
Puma ST - Grey Matter
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Guy's let's be clear here. In all recall cases, there is a specific procedure that dealerships have to follow. They will be issued with a detailed process, on what to look for, how to disassemble, how to test and what tools are required. If there is a design fault and new parts are required, they will need a revised part number. Then reassembly and re test. They even time the procedure and relay that to the dealerships. So that they, the dealerships can claim cost/hours against Ford.
If a new part (s) is/are necessary along with it's new part number. Then is it never a case of "just knocking out" thousands. The new part will require proof testing and approval prior it's release. Believe me it is not a quick process.
Until the dealership are in receipt of the fully engineered procedure then expect little response from them. Plus is never the dealerships who decided on recall priority, that will come from Ford. It is likely customers will receive a letter from Ford direct in a prioritised order with an instruction to contact thier dealer at an appropriate time.
Last edited by Rays1 on Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 965

Hi Rays, I completely understand all that. And yes, if its a new part then I know I’ll probably never see the car.

What is getting to me is the lack of comms from Ford themselves. In financial terms, I own that car. If they aren’t going to hand it over because of the recall procedure then they should be owning up and repaying the customer along with a list of options for what to do next.

They knew this was coming since the 21st March. They cannot have been entirely in the dark from the US, so whilst I don’t have a problem with the recall, I do feel they ought to have considered all the ins and outs and had quality comms ready to go at the point where they block order fulfilment.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Bluecat wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:45 pm Hi Rays, I completely understand all that. And yes, if its a new part then I know I’ll probably never see the car.

What is getting to me is the lack of comms from Ford themselves. In financial terms, I own that car. If they aren’t going to hand it over because of the recall procedure then they should be owning up and repaying the customer along with a list of options for what to do next.

They knew this was coming since the 21st March. They cannot have been entirely in the dark from the US, so whilst I don’t have a problem with the recall, I do feel they ought to have considered all the ins and outs and had quality comms ready to go at the point where they block order fulfilment.
Completely understand your frustration Bluecat, honestly I do.
Let us hope and at least for new customers, it just requires an initial inspection to start with.