Securing an ST

Ford Puma ST Chat
Deleted User 965

Post by Deleted User 965 »

I’m quite paranoid about theft so I plan to do quite a bit to try and make sure my long awaited Puma remains mine. Now I know they might not be quite as desirable for ‘undesirable types’ as the Fiesta might be, but I do still think there will be an element of risk.

I plan to buy a Disklok, that’s a definite. I’m probably going to go with Smartwater forensic liquid for the small cost too.

I wondered about an immobiliser such as the Clifford or the Ghost II but I don’t know if this might be overkill.

I would like to do something with the OBD port, so may look to put a dummy in. Then I’ve also got bits like window film, Carlock tracker, Technaxx motion sensor, wheel clamp (For extended periods of not running like holidays), 2nd set of bespoke locking wheel nuts in my head.

Obviously I’m not going to do all of the above, it’s a cost v deterrent thing. Just wondering what actions the other ST owners have taken?

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Some good ideas. Something is better than nothing and peace of mind is everything. Fords dead key after
40 seconds does work, I've tried it stood next to the drivers door with the key in my pocket and I couldn't open the door after 40 seconds.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Danny1

Post by Danny1 »

Ford dead key? I assume you mean the sleepy key? works well on my Fiesta ST, I also switched off the keyless entry and have a tracker fitted :D
I'm sure my wife will have the same when her ST arrives :D
Fiesta ST Performance Edition, Puma ST Frozen White, Performance pack, power tailgate and Pan roof dark wheels
Deleted User 965

I will definitely be disabling keyless entry as well. What tracker out of interest Danny? Is that your only security mod?
Deleted User 965

Rizmo wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:28 pm Some good ideas. Something is better than nothing and peace of mind is everything. Fords dead key after
40 seconds does work, I've tried it stood next to the drivers door with the key in my pocket and I couldn't open the door after 40 seconds.
Cheers Rizmo. Some would say I’m paranoid, but if I can spend a bit more on top of the car to increase my chances of it still being on the drive in the morning then that’ll do for me.
Danny1

Post by Danny1 »

Bluecat wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:56 pm I will definitely be disabling keyless entry as well. What tracker out of interest Danny? Is that your only security mod?
Hi Bluecat, I have a stoplock Pro or elite? not sure which one? It scored as high as the Disclock when tested by Thatcham and is less cumber sum,
I have a plant-i tracker, Its not the most advanced It has a monthly subscription and can be set up with Geo fencing etc .
Fiesta ST Performance Edition, Puma ST Frozen White, Performance pack, power tailgate and Pan roof dark wheels
Deleted User 965

Presumably it’s the easy fit OBD version you have? It looks very similar to the Carlock thing I’m looking at. How much is the monthly on that and have you relocated the OBD port as well?
Danny1

Post by Danny1 »

Hi bluecat, it’s not a self fit type it’s has to be installed by their approved installers, it’s somewhere up behind the dash panel, I think it’s about £12 a month but I have a couple so got a deal, I pay £8 for each one. I haven’t bothered with OBD relocation as the security on that has changed since the Fiesta Mk7 where they were stolen regularly. There are some physical security ideas for OBD’s that look good if you like that idea? Image[/img]

A53CFE66-5901-44AD-85BD-A4FA4066D641.jpeg

Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Have a look at this guys...yes it is Fiesta, but the Mk8 so similar to Puma.

I have posted this elsewhere, the simple OBD bracket is a brilliant idea. Whilst being aware on the Puma and Fiesta re location is difficult if not impossible.
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Whilst not being particularly bothered about theft, I did want to turn off the keyless entry like on the Fiestas but doesn't seem like you can as I tried several weeks ago.
Puma ST Agate Black