FP Plate Holders

Ford Puma ST Chat
Deleted User 965

Post by Deleted User 965 »

I asked my dealer about adding the Ford Performance license plate holders to my car but the Ford parts system is apparently coming back and saying that my car isn’t compatible with them, which doesn’t make much sense to me. They’re just plastic and surely whether the screws go in through the holders or directly through the plates makes little difference.

Anyone else come across this? I know that those who have already got these have the 2021.75 car but surely there can’t be anything on the 2022.25 model that rules them out can there? They’re only a few quid so my thinking is worth the risk?

Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

I have the performance plate holders for my ST.
Dam good they are and look.
Admittedly my ST is one of the very early ones.
But honestly I cannot see an issue for later build cars.
The plastic plate holders come with a multitude of holes and I do mean a multitude. Basically you can adjust the holders up, down, even sideways to position the plate perfect and inline with vehicles original fixing holes. If anything I found the alloy reg plates slightly large and hence I needed to trim their edges with a pair of tin snips for a perfect fit in the holder. No big deal. Just don't expect your plates to fit perfectly in the holder. Open up the plastic holders (unclip the holders frame surround) and trim your reg plates equally to suit. Word of warning however, and it may require you purchase a new set of plates. Do not drill the body work, use only the vehicles original fixing positions, whilst simply adjusting both plate (drill your new plates) and holder up or down to get a perfect position on the front and rear of your ST. (For the front adjust so the holder sits exactly vertical mid way between radiator and intercooler.
Take the risk.
Deleted User 965

Thanks Rays1. I’ll be expecting the dealer to do the initial fitting. Hopefully they won’t need too much adjusting from there. R-jacko has them on a recent build too. I just don’t understand why they’d be marked as incompatible. I’ll risk it and see what happens.

I thought the plates themselves didn’t need drilling. My dealer seems to think they’re a slightly smaller plate too so will need ordering in specially. I thought the holders were screwed to the body using the normal fixing points and then the plates just clipped in?
Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

My dealer fitted mine...no issues. I took the plates and the holder to the dealer prior to delivery and the plates fitted fine...no trimming.

20220128_111404.jpg

R-JACKO

Post by R-JACKO »

Hello Bluecat
I brought my plate holders from my local dealer and the 3D gel number plates came from CEUK.
My plates clipped straight into the holders no trimming required.As Rays1 says there are plenty of holes in the holders.👍
R-JACKO

Post by R-JACKO »

Hello Denty1964
I see you have the Pan Roof.Do you suffer from any creaking or rattles from n/s at all.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

I'm assuming that the ST doesn't have the radar sensor below the number plate that other models have?
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Bluecat wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:24 pm Thanks Rays1. I’ll be expecting the dealer to do the initial fitting. Hopefully they won’t need too much adjusting from there. R-jacko has them on a recent build too. I just don’t understand why they’d be marked as incompatible. I’ll risk it and see what happens.

I thought the plates themselves didn’t need drilling. My dealer seems to think they’re a slightly smaller plate too so will need ordering in specially. I thought the holders were screwed to the body using the normal fixing points and then the plates just clipped in?
I guess you could just screw the plate holder to the vehicle and then clip in the reg plate.
But the plastic backing of the holder is thin and not that strong, plus the fixings would foul on the inside face of the registration plate. Better to position both holder and registration plate together with fixing screws through both and attach the assembly to the original fixing positions as determined by Ford.
Yes my registration plates where slightly larger than the plastic holder internal dimensions, width wise and not in height. If I recall I trimmed my reg plates equally about both ends by 3mm.

What ever you decide, make it absolutely clear to your dealership that you want the work carried out professionally and for them not to go drilling a load of extra holes in the vehicles body work. I have seen so many where dealerships have made a complete mess of things.
Deleted User 965

Basically, both are options then. Either just have them clipped in, or screw through both. Any reason you bought them and the plates and gave them to the dealer rather than just getting them to order the appropriate stuff?
R-JACKO

Post by R-JACKO »

Couple of reasons why I brought the holders.One I think they look smart with the Ford Performance logo and the other was no screws in the number plates.