ST Early Impressions

Ford Puma ST Chat
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Second week of ownership and just under 700 miles covered at time of writing including a couple of 200 mile round trips, so thought I'd share some initial impressions vs the online reviews out there.
First off, this is my first ford and I've had more cars that hot dinners including more powerful ones like the first M2 yet this is my favourite car to date. Sure its not that fast but its really useable and very enjoyable to drive.
It puts a smile on your face like 80's hot hatches used to and what power it does have is offered to the driver rather than being portioned to you as the car sees fit like most of its 300hp auto gearboxed competitors

So starting with the good:
Looks fantastic in Black.
Seats are super comfy and supportive.
Handling is so car like rather than crossover with barely any body roll, though I still do not regret not having a diff as I really think you don't need it on this.
Range seems to be just over 350 miles from full to empty so very happy with that.
Very eager to pull in 3rd, 4th and 5th.
If you don't need more passenger space than this car provides then the Puma ST is an awesome all rounder for the UK
Sublime gearchange and lovely clutch.
It has a real handbrake!

The review myths: (from the many I watched prior to buying)
The parcel shelf- Often said to be flimsy crap, this is actually more a flexi cover rather than a "shelf". I have zero issue with it and works just fine.
The Arm Rest- Its not really what I would call an armrest as it's too far back for more than an elbow tip, but is plenty well enough made for the task it performs. NOBOBY grabs it like reviewers have nor puts their entire bodyweight on it. Its fine and has a deep storage bin.
The Brakes- Apparently grabby, I would disagree on this too. A little more than a base model super mini sure, but compared to what I'm used to driving then Nah, perfectly fine and easy to regulate stopping force
The door cards too flimsy for the B&O- Nope, this is also fine up to any level a normal person would have it cranked up. Thumping base dance tracks are dealt with perfectly.

The bad or silly
Front screen washer jets are a bit rubbish, not covering the screen that well with washer fluid.
BIG ISSUE TO NOTE.... Door bottoms are REALLY low. Park against a tall kerb or slope and give serious thought to check your door will open without scraping the ground first
Seatbelt warning is annoying.
Nonsense message about navigation data collection and obeying road rules is ridiculous.
Sync 3 system is a little laggy.

Borderline stupid:
Collision warning. I was performing a perfectly safe overtake on a single carriageway at night. As I began to pull out and pass the car ahead my entire screen flashed red with a warning message about impending collision that nearly made me have a crash from the sheer distraction caused by it. For anyone old enough to remember the Missile command game over explosion it looked like that. SOOOO over the top
Puma ST Agate Black

Deleted User 965

Post by Deleted User 965 »

That's very comprehensive mate thanks for that!

I can't remember now as I've looked at so many cars, specs and options now. Is that collision warning part of the driver assistance pack or is it one of the safety features in the base spec? I know there is some split where some of the features are included, and the rest are in the optional pack.
Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

That's good to know and after a 6 month wait for mine, it should be with me over the next couple of weeks....can't wait.
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Bluecat wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:57 am That's very comprehensive mate thanks for that!

I can't remember now as I've looked at so many cars, specs and options now. Is that collision warning part of the driver assistance pack or is it one of the safety features in the base spec? I know there is some split where some of the features are included, and the rest are in the optional pack.
It's in the standard spec. I loath the driver assist stuff in new cars as I believe it should do what I tell it to do so I didn't spec any such packs.

Basically the annoying things you can't seem to avoid (And I stand corrected if can be turned off in settings) are as follows:

Seat Belts: It seems to know which seats have bums on them and shows you which have put their belt on with an on-screen graphic OVER the Speedo and rev counter area requiring you to press the "OK" button to make it go away.
Sat Nav: Seems to have a hissy fit about not all features if a phone isn't connected and data collection? It goes away eventually on its own but is bollox I don't need to know especially every time!
Sat Nav again: Gives some waffle about something and goes onto warning you to obey road rules over the sat nav instruction. Again goes away on its own in the end but is every time you use it
Good point: pressing sport mode automatically turns off the stop / start feature saving a press on that button (yay)
Good point: The unavoidable lane keeping and speed limit detection are pretty much passive so don't intrude on driving. Speed limit is just displayed and doesn't warn you about exceeding it unless you set it to do so. Lane assist has the mildest of rumble through the wheel if not indicating and crossing the line, but just feels like the rumble from the cats eyes anyway.

In short, unless you've bought extra packs, once on the move you pretty much drive the car yourself. You just have to put up with the nannying on start up.
Puma ST Agate Black
Deleted User 965

Post by Deleted User 965 »

Thanks. I'm the same and avoid all driver assistance features where possible. I'd hoped you were going to say that collision avoidance was in the pack. Hopefully there might be a way to turn it off. I had it on a Polo and couldn't switch it off.. I hated it with a passion.
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Well on the upside it doesn't actually seem to do anything about it like brake or steer etc. Was the first time I saw it and it was pitch black in the back of beyond and the cabin is very dark at night. Then bang, massive red warning flashes up and might have been some sounds too but I was busy cussing at it.
Puma ST Agate Black
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Oh I nearly forgot another little gem..... Auto Lights:

Every time you start the car the lights revert to Auto Lights. In all my past cars with this it simply put the main lights on when it got dark. However in the Puma it puts the Hi-Beam on then lowers if it detects oncoming traffic.

Sounds good yes? Except it seems to totally ignore any poor sods ahead of your who it happily bathes in blinding light
Puma ST Agate Black
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

The Monkey Man wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:38 pm Oh I nearly forgot another little gem..... Auto Lights:

Every time you start the car the lights revert to Auto Lights. In all my past cars with this it simply put the main lights on when it got dark. However in the Puma it puts the Hi-Beam on then lowers if it detects oncoming traffic.

Sounds good yes? Except it seems to totally ignore any poor sods ahead of your who it happily bathes in blinding light
It depends what the surrounding light is like....Mine stay dipped locally because of the street lighting.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Supertramp

Post by Supertramp »

Really appreciate all the comments on here - I am picking mine up in March with a bit of luck - I already have a 155 Puma so I am familiar with some of these problems but i will be keeping an eye on the lower door hitting the curb! I
I have also watched lots of videos on youtube and they all seem positive which is good, wont be long before the Hybrid ST is out
Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

Well if they add an electric motor to the rear which would increase it to about 300bhp I would be the first in the queue.